: High beams problem

JRfigo
02-02-10, 04:59 PM
I own an '08 ESV and I can't flash the high beams unless my regular beams are on (whether I turned them on or they come on automatically.)
This is very dangerous because you want to be able to flash your lights in case of emergency.
Is this standard on all new Escalades? Any way to fix it?

buckeyefan007
02-02-10, 10:37 PM
I believe it is standard. Because of the special bulbs that are used you are unable to use the "flash to pass" feature .

halfmonkey
02-03-10, 10:25 AM
Yup. This is the way it's "supposed" to work. We also have an '08 ESV and during my last oil change service, we asked the SA about this and he pulled up another Escalade and verified that it too was operating in the same manner. Odd as it is, I think we should be able to flash to pass without the driving lights having to be on.:bonkers::hmm:

LeftLane
02-03-10, 12:41 PM
when you turn on the high beam,a shield raise up to allow your hid bulb to project out farther.The low beam is the same hid as the high beam just shielded down.I suppose they can't get the shield to raise fast enough to make them flash.

jason1214
02-03-10, 01:37 PM
Ok here in Texas.....flashing the hi beam will get you a ticket everytime if observed.....the reason is the hiway code states " that only emergency vehicles can display a flashing
blue, red, or White light ". So if you flash your hi beams to let opposing traffic to let them know a radar is ahead for example, you will most definitely get a ticket....Trust me I know and it's a waste of time to try and appeal.
So if you flash your lights you have just turned your vehicle into an emergency vehicle here in Texas and will be in big trouble.....unless you really have an emergency.

I have never seen anyone flash hi beams to pass.
The hiway code book states, ' to sound your horn when passing '

With these new HID bulbs the days of flashing lights are numbered.

JRfigo
02-04-10, 07:28 PM
In NYC it's the way around, you can flash your high beams, but if you honk you can get a ticket.
Every other car I have been into let's you flash your lights, so GM could use the same technology as every one else...

Am I safe to assume that the '09 and '10 Escalades have the same problem?

txlaw2002
02-05-10, 11:09 PM
Ok here in Texas.....flashing the hi beam will get you a ticket everytime if observed.....the reason is the hiway code states " that only emergency vehicles can display a flashing
blue, red, or White light ". So if you flash your hi beams to let opposing traffic to let them know a radar is ahead for example, you will most definitely get a ticket....Trust me I know and it's a waste of time to try and appeal.
So if you flash your lights you have just turned your vehicle into an emergency vehicle here in Texas and will be in big trouble.....unless you really have an emergency.

I have never seen anyone flash hi beams to pass.
The hiway code book states, ' to sound your horn when passing '

With these new HID bulbs the days of flashing lights are numbered.

This is absolutely FALSE!!!!!!!! In Texas you cannot use flashing strobe type lights unless it is an emergency, safety, service vehicle, etc. See Texas Transportation code 547.305. Next time hire a good lawyer.