: Sermonette for the day--Don't drink & drive

Elvis
07-17-03, 05:41 PM
Here's another good reason.

The pictures are disturbing, be forewarned.

http://www.bordergatewayprotocol.net/~jon/media/because/

http://www.news8austin.com/content/the_years_best/person/

MMNineInchNails
07-17-03, 07:19 PM
I've seen that before. Stupid drunkers.

elwesso
07-17-03, 11:21 PM
Thanks for posting that......

lev
10-08-03, 10:45 AM
What exactly happened to her to disfugure her like that?
Was she drinking, too?
Does anyone know.

By the way, I didn't look at all the pictures. Burn disfigurations make me nauseous, and that's no figure of speech, trust me.

chant74
10-08-03, 01:03 PM
What exactly happened to her to disfugure her like that?
Was she drinking, too?
Does anyone know.

By the way, I didn't look at all the pictures. Burn disfigurations make me nauseous, and that's no figure of speech, trust me.

I read the whole article a while back, so i don't recall the exact details, but she wasn't drinking, and was riding in the car that was hit. The car caught on fire, and got she got third degree burns in her head, face, hands, and second degree on most of her torso. She lost her eye lids and later her left eye, what was left of her fingers had to be amputated, and she lost most of the muscle mass in both her arms. AND all because of a lame a$$ who got drunk and decided to drive... keep it safe

JJhomer83
10-08-03, 02:47 PM
That is ashame that that happened to her. She was an attrative young woman with a lot going for her and now that guy shot everything to hell for her. I hate people who don't think before the act when alcohol is in there system. That is why you always have a DD for every time you go out no matter what. I hope that with the holidays that are coming up everyone uses there head and keeps it safe. This was a good post even though it may be disturbing but it might make you think twice before you turn the key when you have been drinking. I applaude you Elvis for bringing this to our attention. Holiday season is coming and we don't want any thing to happen to the ones that we love

Stoneage_Caddy
10-08-03, 02:55 PM
yah , back in the military we had tons of troops arrested for dui , in fact at least one a day at one point , and then there we the times that there had been a crash , it really sucks when someone dies in the military and it wasnt even combat realted , imagine making that call to the parents of that kid ...its not exactly dieing for your country

as for me , i drove drunk once , went 15 feet (had to get a buddys car out of way of a firetruck) after that i never did it again , i dont know how these other people drive 30 miles drunk and kill someone , its hard enough trying to get a car out of the street

lev
10-08-03, 05:17 PM
If Chant74 is correct, that sound like that wasn't her fault AT ALL!

I had ot ask, though, as she herself had beer bottle in one of the pictures.

What happened to a guy who hit her, I wonder.

"OOOhh, I hope he is dead!"

No, I don't. Death or unharmed escape with no consequenses is just not fair. She has to live with this face til her dying day. If he is alive, he needs to pay her big money for the rest of her life. Or suffer consequences some other way. Call it eye, for an eye, I don't care.

Because of that egotist, she will never find a man, or have a family, or be able to go out and have fun, or realize her dreams whatever they may be. Most people will treat her like a freak, or feel sorry for her, or mistreat her.

Let's all be a little bit nicer to each other (hell, as long as this thread is call sermonette). Hold the door for that someone, get that piece of trash off the road if you can, get the dirt of out the drier filter in the laundromat after you're done with you laundry. Let's be less like that egotist who put a big X on the life of that pretty girl, whose only crime was getting in that car.

And let's never, ever drink, driving or otherwise.

davesdeville
10-08-03, 05:53 PM
Homecoming's this Friday and my friends made me the designated driver. I don't even have a liscence (only have a learners permit), but I guess they'd rather ride with a unliscensed driver than a drunk one.

Elvis
10-08-03, 11:36 PM
I was just shocked by how beautiful she was. It hurts to see anyone the way she is now, but why did it have to happen to her?

2dfx
10-08-03, 11:43 PM
Because people are idiots.

Just look at Dany Heatley.

Katshot
10-09-03, 07:52 AM
This story can have a couple lessons. First would be the obvious, "Don't Drink & Drive". But there is also the less obvious one, "Pay Friggin' Attention". Don't think I'm in any way putting blame on the victim but the facts are the facts. In MANY cases, even though the accident was "caused" by one person, the others who "would be" victims "could have" avoided being the victim if they were paying attention and knew how to avoid the incident. This is why most insurance companies penalize some drivers even though they weren't "technically" at fault. I have seen this scenario many times over the years in fleets. Certain drivers had been involved in many accidents but weren't ever issued tickets. We still got rid of those drivers because it was obvious that they weren't just "unlucky", they were poor "defensive drivers".
There are no absolutes but out on the road, there is really only ONE person responsible for your safety and that is YOU. Poor driving skills and inattentive driving will kill you as surely as any drunk driver, or crazy kid doing stupid stuff with his car. I can't tell you how many times over the years that I was "ALMOST" in an accident but avoided it because I "saw it coming", or knew how to react to a certain situation when it happened. Everyone should know WAY more than is taught in "Driver's Ed.", or is necessary to get your license. There are many courses out there that can teach the extra skills you need to stay alive. Couple that with just plain paying attention and you will have a much better chance of having a long, incident-free life.
On a side note, this girl's nightmare and many others like her may get some miraculous help. I've been reading about a contraversial new operation that should be getting performed as early as this coming spring. Facial replacement. It's similar in concept to the surgery done in the John Travolta/Nicholas Cage movie "Face-Off". While not as simple as the movie makes it out to be, it is possible. The only thing standing in the way is public acceptance. It seems that MANY people have a problem with allowing this kind of procedure to be performed. I just hope that anyone having a problem with allowing the procedure takes a good hard look at the people it is aimed at helping. I can't begin to imagine the nightmare these poor people must live through everyday.

Allante North *
10-09-03, 02:24 PM
This is exactly the reason I quit drinking about 15 years ago. I was one of those idiots that liked to drink and drive. I thought nothing of getting a six pack and hitting the roads. I should have been arrested many times, but it never happened. Was I lucky? No, just in the right place at the wrong time. DUI laws were not as tough back then, and when they did start to enforce them I had already decided to quit. I got tired of wakeing up like I had been shot at and missed and sh*t at and hit. I am one of the lucky ones that never had an accident and killed myself or someone else. I would hate to think of what my life would be like with that kind of guilt on my shoulders. I volunteered as a desiginated driver for the company I worked for several years ago just to keep our employees off the road after a fun night on the town. I will still give up my time to drive someone home that has been drinking.

Please don't drink and drive, and if you do drink please have someone to do the driving for you. The life you save may be your own or someone you care about. It ain't worth it.

JJhomer83
10-09-03, 02:30 PM
A while back i used to be a bar tendor and a waitor at applebees. I can't tell you how many people i have driven home after my shift b/c they were to shitty to drive. On friday nights i always had at least 2 stops on my way home b/c of the regulars would stick around all night and drink and they were all cool with me and i had an agreement with them that i wouldn't let them leave unless i knew the person driving was sober

Ralph
10-12-03, 12:46 AM
Terrible pics. I would have never seen them, thanks Elvis, you do have too much free time. ;) I used to work with a couple of guys like that. They didn't even remember driving home later some nights.

On the news they talked about technology that a car could not start unless you blew into a breath machine in the car that analyzed your breath for alcohol content. I thought this was a great idea, until I heard someone elso could blow into it for you!! Ever notice how the drunk never seems to get hurt or killed?! I wonder what type of car she was driving, what she was hit with, I find those thinks interesting. This whole thing makes me just want to buy a nice "high up" Dodge Ram, or anything that weights more than a car, and it higher off the ground in case you get t-boned. It makes me very angry, and I have no sympathy for drunk drivers. I say "drink all you want, just throw away the damn keys!" :devil:

Mad'lac
10-12-03, 01:11 AM
I remembered when this happend. She went to my old HS to talk to the kids about DrunkDriving.

Ralph
10-12-03, 01:20 AM
Katshot: anyone who has a problem with that type of operation, is not in her situation! To hell with 'em! She will never have her life back, get married or have kids, etc. If people have a problem with technology that could give that poor girl a part of her life back, SCREW THEM, they can be in her shoes and see what it is like. In my work, I see what car accidents do to people emotionally, as well as physically, it gets to me everytime. I knew this 20 year old girl in University, sat beside her during class. Her friend got killed in the same car as her by a drunk. She was like a walking corpse, and will never be the same.

For where I live, they said on the news that every 2 out of 5 drivers that pass you by in the opposite lane (highway) are drunk or were drinking!! That is insanity!

Katshot
10-12-03, 10:37 AM
I think most people don't have a problem with body parts like organs and even limbs living beyond the grave but a face is another thing.
If the cranial bone structure is similar, the facial implant recipient will bare a strong resemblence to the donor after the operation and THAT is most likely what has people a little worked up.
According to estimates, there are only approx. 100 reported cases per year that this procedure would be able to be applied to so the numbers are quite low considering. That will possibly work against this procedure ever getting accepted since most people might be able to overlook the "moral" issue if it were able to help a lot of people. The procedure was supposed to have been attempted in England a few months ago but protests were so great that the operation was put on hold.

Elvis
10-12-03, 10:17 PM
The only problem I see with this kind of thing is that it will probably not be used as much to reconstruct horribly disfigured faces, but rather by rich, UGLY people who just want to look better.

That's okay too, but I think somewhere along the way we missed the point.

Medicine is driven by money, not humanity. For example, why cure cancer when you can make so much money treating it?

Ralph
10-12-03, 11:59 PM
The only problem I see with this kind of thing is that it will probably not be used as much to reconstruct horribly disfigured faces, but rather by rich, UGLY people who just want to look better.

That's okay too, but I think somewhere along the way we missed the point.

Medicine is driven by money, not humanity. For example, why cure cancer when you can make so much money treating it?

We have that already, it's called plastic surgury.

Medicine is driven by money, especially the pharmaceutical companies. I think they have a cure for cancer, but it would put a lot of white-lab coats out of work! And I don't like how if a doctor recommends taking an herb instead of a drug, they can and will lose their liscence and practice. (in Canada, what about the States?)

Katshot
10-13-03, 10:34 AM
Hell, the best example of that mentality is the common cold, and AIDS. You'll never see a cure for either because treating it is so lucrative.