: Exhaust crossover

eldorado1
08-13-04, 01:10 PM
Okay, I have a question for you guys... I made the mistake of installing the engine/transmission without first attaching the exhaust crossover. From what I can see, it's a very tight fit. My question is, if I cut off the mounting brackets (and possibly the egr bung), will it fit back in? Under no circumstances are the engine/trans being separated again :p So any suggestions on how to "make it fit"? Cutting/welding back up is no prob.

N0DIH
08-13-04, 01:45 PM
Okay, I have a question for you guys... I made the mistake of installing the engine/transmission without first attaching the exhaust crossover. From what I can see, it's a very tight fit. My question is, if I cut off the mounting brackets (and possibly the egr bung), will it fit back in? Under no circumstances are the engine/trans being separated again :p So any suggestions on how to "make it fit"? Cutting/welding back up is no prob.

Sorry if this is a dumb comment, as I am not familliar with the Sev/Dev body, but can you rock the engine on the mounts (disconnect one of them) and slide it in?

Tom

eldorado1
08-13-04, 02:46 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb comment, as I am not familliar with the Sev/Dev body, but can you rock the engine on the mounts (disconnect one of them) and slide it in?

Tom

Maybe I should mention that there aren't any clearance issues with the body/frame... The problem is that there is an opening between the transmission and engine that is about the size of my fist. And somehow I need to fit the crossover into that opening. I just don't want to cut up my crossover unnecessarily, but I don't want to have my exhaust go all willy-nilly around the transmission/oil pan because I couldn't get this thing to fit.

eldorado1
08-13-04, 10:01 PM
Okay then, it looks like you have to cut almost 8-10" off the end for it to fit back up the tunnel there between the engine and trans... :rolleyes2 Now I don't know what I'm going to do, as there's not enough room down there to weld the pieces back together. At least I don't think so. Ugh. Surely somebody out there has done this before on accident...... :rant2:

gc_caddy
08-14-04, 12:34 PM
According to a previous post by Anthony Cipriano, the crossover pipe is double-walled and is tricky to weld.

FYI:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8422&highlight=double+walled

eldorado1
10-21-04, 05:23 PM
Well I'm bumping this back up to the top. I still need a way to fit a pipe in there or something... Currently I just went "under" the engine and trans, and it's creating clearance problems. Read: it's scraping on EVERYTHING. Anybody weld up their own crossover? Suggestions? Comments? Criticisms? :banghead:

Geno Castellano
10-21-04, 05:26 PM
Bite the bullet and install it correctly. I really don't think that you're going to get that pipe back through there without separating the engine and transmission.

eldorado1
10-22-04, 03:37 PM
"that" pipe, probably not. But If I take a 2.5" piece of pipe, and bend/crimp it to fit... I think it might be possible. I will never surrender! :want:

Pjs
10-23-04, 11:18 AM
Eldorado,
First, I have to thank you. I've got my engine off the cradle and getting ready to go back in. My crossover pipe was in the garage and I almost did the same thing as you, thinking that I'll get to it, but first I need to tighten this bolt or do something else, but your original post kept popping into my mind. This little voice in my head kept saying..."install the crossover, install the crossover so I stopped what I was doing and put on the crossover.

I think if you try a regular piece of pipe you will cook the hell outta your engine and trans oil. Bite the bullet as Bbobynski suggests and just pull the trans and do it right. It's been 2 months since your original post, you coulda had it done already.

eldorado1
10-23-04, 06:17 PM
Eldorado,
I think if you try a regular piece of pipe you will cook the hell outta your engine and trans oil. Bite the bullet as Bbobynski suggests and just pull the trans and do it right. It's been 2 months since your original post, you coulda had it done already.

Glad I helped :D I plan on installing a shield so as not to cook my oil(s) or damage anything under the hood. I just picked up a length of this stuff for $18... should be finger licking good :histeric:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10101/s-10101/p-174830/mediaCode-ZX/appId-384994

an01sts
10-25-04, 02:31 AM
Here's something to think about when welding anything before the cat. Fedearal law says that this part of the exaust system cannot be tampered with. Cutting, rewelding, grafting, certainly meets the definition of tampering with. Also by federal law, if the vehicle has had cat replacment or any other similar work before the cat, the vehicle must have a document stating what has been done and for what reason.

As to emission testing: Different states do things differently, if your state has emission testing. In other words, you may fail the visual emission inspection. I don't know what's going on now in TX, but in the early 90's, as sate of TX vehicle inspector #: 13885889, I would have to reject your vehicle for inspection, and note the reason as tampered emission equipment.

I know it sucks, but you should give it some more thought about choppin' stuff up.

sts96
10-25-04, 09:24 AM
We may not like the way the crossover was installed but have to work with what we have until a better way is found. while not easy the transaxle can be pulled without removing the engine. sounds like you may spend more time and effort for less results with a work around. Besides look at the education you will get. LOL
sts96