: So who was driving the V that I raced last night in Detroit burbs? Was in GTR 275/96

Guru0006
01-31-10, 03:44 PM
Anyone on here? Couldn't tell if it was grey or black. Glad that State trooper seemed to be sleeping. I was in the white GTR . Sweet car! Is it stock? Kept up with me better than I expected.

vseries
01-31-10, 04:20 PM
Based on both cars being stock
GTR 3800lbs 480hp
CTSV 4400lbs 556hp
It should have been a very close race from a role.
Off the line.....Too many variables to determine

asabase
01-31-10, 05:12 PM
Off the line would be the GTR all the way due to the AWD.

Guru0006
01-31-10, 06:16 PM
If the GTR has 480HP stock than I am santa claus. It's common knowledge that it make over 500 HP easily in stock form by the numbers of various dyno charts. Now keep in mind my car is NOT stock. Full turboback exhaust and a reflash. Probably around 600 HP but still pretty heavy as well as small turbos that start to wheeze at over 120 MPH (thus the turbo upgrade next month).

vseries
01-31-10, 06:18 PM
Daz why me must poot zee mods:lildevil:

vseries
01-31-10, 06:26 PM
If the GTR has 480HP stock than I am santa claus. It's common knowledge that it make over 500 HP easily in stock form by the numbers of various dyno charts. Now keep in mind my car is NOT stock. Full turboback exhaust and a reflash. Probably around 600 HP but still pretty heavy as well as small turbos that start to wheeze at over 120 MPH (thus the turbo upgrade next month).

Santa Would Drive American:osnap:

Gary Wells
01-31-10, 07:15 PM
Not a chance, reindeer are from Norway.

V-Eight
01-31-10, 07:19 PM
GTR would own a V off the line, from a roll it could go either way.

Not a chance, reindeer are from Norway.

We've got 'em in Canada too :D

cbloveday
01-31-10, 07:20 PM
If I wanted foreign, I would have stayed with my BMW M6. Nissan voids the warranty if you dyno the GTR. No thanks

Guru0006
01-31-10, 07:27 PM
Couldn't care less about warranty on this car. It's not why I bought it. Same thing would have gone for the V if I had bought that. I bought the car to make power. Sadly it is a bit more expensive to mod than the V but it does make more power so it's a give and a take. Right now it should be running high 10's. I hope to hit 140 MPH+ trap speed come April. If the V coupe would have been out and it were a twin turbo, I may have made a different choice. One thing I do have to say is that I'd take a V over an M3 ANY day. Really was not a fan of the M3 which was the other car I was looking at.

ccclarke
01-31-10, 07:40 PM
"Nissan voids the warranty if you dyno the GTR."

WTFO? What technology is Nissan using to know you've had your car dyno'd? Three Pre-cogs in a tank straight out of Minority Report maybe?!!

CC

Guru0006
01-31-10, 07:44 PM
My dealer is actually awesome to work with. They know I mod the car and they couldn't care less. They probably wouldn't approve a new motor or trans but motor is damn solid and the I am bulletproofing the trans next month as part of my mod process anyway including a PPG 1st gear and shaft so that I can use that launch control feature without breaking anything.

BacDoc
01-31-10, 08:06 PM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/jacks996/webpage%20pics/img1221318574983.jpg

Gary Wells
01-31-10, 08:15 PM
GTR would own a V off the line, from a roll it could go either way.

We've got 'em in Canada too :D

Oops, my bad, did not mean to forget our Canadian brothers & sisters. I know that Canada has some wicked turbo Buicks & mopars running around.

Gary Wells
01-31-10, 08:18 PM
V owner's probably up ordering headers, pulley, heads, cam, & tune right now.

Guru0006
01-31-10, 08:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJekld_e-yo&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrlM1Abbk5s&feature=player_embedded

A couple of milder turbo upgrade GTR's. I'm going to run bigger turbos than either of these guys. Just give you an idea of speed.

asabase
01-31-10, 08:52 PM
There is a guy in town with one. I've seen him punch it; it is really fast.

Is it true about the dyno and warranty? I thought it was pretty lame using the built-in launch control voids the warranty.

Razorecko
01-31-10, 09:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbGV5FHqFk

Guru0006
01-31-10, 09:04 PM
The original launch control (LC1) yes. If you launch it more than x times the dealer can void the warranty. Dynoing the car will not void any warranties. They do offer a new launch control which does not void the warranty which is LC2. It launches at 3000 RPM give or take vs 4500 RPM. It is looked at as a TCM recall but I declined it on mine. With stock turbos and stock tires you really don't get too much benefit staying with LC1 since you have traction issues in 1st gear anyway. Hell I spin all 4 loose in 1-3 gears right now with the really cold pavement and tires. With big turbos and slicks you will definately see a benefit with LC1 thus why I decided to keep it. As I mentioned with the PPG 1st gear and shaft it isn't really an issue anymore anyway. To be honest with you you don't really need to use launch control. I have not really gone up against anything yet where I felt I needed to use it. It launches pretty hard even just stomping on the gas.

Guru0006
01-31-10, 09:10 PM
Razorecko! VERY nice! Now that is what I'm talking about! But really how many V's are running 10's here? Raise your hands. I don't want this to be a GTR vs V thread, but wanted to see if the guy I saw last night had anything done and whether he had any comments. I couldn't even tell if it was a 6 speed or auto.

BTW went to that website and they claim 6 hours to do heads and cam? Is that true? That is amazing. I have to drop my motor to get my turbos out. Took me more than 6 hours to do the downpipes.

Razorecko
01-31-10, 09:13 PM
The GTR is a mean ride. I was at a toss up between the GTR and went with the V. It just pained me to see the GTR w/out a true manual option. A V161 Getrag woulda been what the dr ordered. You can't really stretch out the GTR or V's legs on a regular basis w/out ending up in Jail. The manual helps me stay satisfied inbetween those times and keep my license.....I think the GTR needs a good trans swap mod =)

Razorecko
01-31-10, 09:17 PM
Razorecko! VERY nice! Now that is what I'm talking about! But really how many V's are running 10's here? Raise your hands. I don't want this to be a GTR vs V thread, but wanted to see if the guy I saw last night had anything done and whether he had any comments. I couldn't even tell if it was a 6 speed or auto.

The V has been out about only half the time the GTR has...you probally know how fast mods come out on the market for any lsX platform. Best part is we can run 10's in the V on 1/4th of the cost it takes the GTR to get to that level. The 10.x run was on an auto. So far that i know of I haven't heard of any auto,manual, or even an engine malfunction yet. Thats is really impressive for a first year vehicle. A huge deal is that the V is really a sleeper and has a slightly different buyer niche the the R'.

Guru0006
01-31-10, 09:34 PM
Very true. It is expensive to mod the GTR. Hell, my cat back was like $1600 and that was the cheapest one I could find. Although I do miss a true manual, I can kind of see why they chose the automated manual. It gets to be REALLY hard to shift through the gears that fast one you start getting into the 10's or faster. Actually GTR has been out for just over a year same as the V right? Main advantage is that the LSA motor isn't ALL that different from other LS motors. Same basic architecture and god knows boosted LS motors have been around a LONG time. You guys have a HUGE head start in terms of availability of parts. I had to order my JUN camshafts from Japan and am the VERY first person in the US to have them. They ship out next week.

commander112
01-31-10, 10:27 PM
Was not me. Even if my car was that color I would not have tried to race anyone. I cannot get any grip on the salt dust on the roads. Currently can break the tires loose in fourth gear on Telegraph Rd.

cbloveday
01-31-10, 10:40 PM
Couldn't care less about warranty on this car. It's not why I bought it. Same thing would have gone for the V if I had bought that. I bought the car to make power. Sadly it is a bit more expensive to mod than the V but it does make more power so it's a give and a take. Right now it should be running high 10's. I hope to hit 140 MPH+ trap speed come April. If the V coupe would have been out and it were a twin turbo, I may have made a different choice. One thing I do have to say is that I'd take a V over an M3 ANY day. Really was not a fan of the M3 which was the other car I was looking at.

I Understand. My dealership and I have a great relationship as well. I also had a great relationship with BMW. I have modded my V and my M6.
I personally love the GTR.
It is just that I read this and said WTF.

Exclusions and Limitations to Manufacturers Warranty

Please read your GT-R Warranty Information Booklet carefully. The Nissan GT-R warranty provides you with extensive coverage when the vehicle is operated in accordance with the Owner's Manual. The warranty includes a number of other specific conditions, exclusions and limitations, which include (but are not limited to) exclusions due to failures resulting from:

Racing, competitive driving of any sort and/or any use on a track or airstrip, or otherwise not operating or maintaining the vehicle as set out in the Owner's Manual and Service and Maintenance Guide;

Operating the vehicle with the Vehicle Dynamic Control (VDC) off, except when rocking vehicle when stuck in mud or snow;

Not adhering to the service and maintenance requirements set out in the Nissan GT-R Owner's Manual and the Service and Maintenance Guide, including failures resulting from the use of non-Genuine Nissan Parts or required or recommended fluids;

Improper repairs or services rendered at facilities other than Nissan Certified GT-R dealerships;

Failing to have the Performance Optimization Services completed in a timely manner;

Genuine Nissan Parts not intended for use on the GT-R, including NISMO parts not specifically designed and manufactured for application to the GT-R, or any non-Genuine Nissan Parts;

Replacing a GT-R special specification part with a non-GT-R special specification part (see GT-R Owner's Manual for the list of GT-R special specification parts);

Operating the GT-R on a dynamometer, except a dynamometer test performed to comply with applicable local law for emissions testing.

Additionally, some modifications will VOID your GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage. Read your warranty information booklet carefully for specific details of all terms, conditions, limitations and exclusions.

Important: Additional Exclusion and Warranty Voiding

Damage to the powertrain, or any drivetrain component(s) that occurs when there is a record in the Vehicle System Data Recorder (VSDR) that the vehicle was driven with the VDC off during the period when the damage was incurred is excluded from coverage under this warranty.

Adding, replacing, reprogramming, attempting to reprogram, altering or disconnecting any computer, control unit, or electronic module or deleting any or all stored information in any computer, control unit, or electronic module, or denying access to any data or information stored in any computer, control unit, or electronic module VOIDS ALL COVERAGE under the 2010 Nissan GT-R New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Such actions are also "misuse" and "tampering" as those terms are used under "What Is Not Covered" in the warranty. See your Owners Manual for additional important information and related warnings

http://www.exoticsandluxury.com/warranty-voided-gtr-launch-control-warranty-safe

lmcgrew79
01-31-10, 10:50 PM
Who cares about all the warranty stuff..How did the race go???

jimbo1320
01-31-10, 11:07 PM
What does a Switzer P800 consist of? When you say the "V" did better than you thought it would against you. I would think you drove away like he shut the engine off. I would not even consider running a modded GTR.

Nice level headed conversation. Congrats to you.

Razorecko
01-31-10, 11:11 PM
Very true. It is expensive to mod the GTR. Hell, my cat back was like $1600 and that was the cheapest one I could find. Although I do miss a true manual, I can kind of see why they chose the automated manual. It gets to be REALLY hard to shift through the gears that fast one you start getting into the 10's or faster. Actually GTR has been out for just over a year same as the V right? Main advantage is that the LSA motor isn't ALL that different from other LS motors. Same basic architecture and god knows boosted LS motors have been around a LONG time. You guys have a HUGE head start in terms of availability of parts. I had to order my JUN camshafts from Japan and am the VERY first person in the US to have them. They ship out next week.

lol, good point. I can actually see Nissan saying " hey we need to make this tranny automanual because ALOT of people are going to make money shifts at this rate of speed and that will cost us $$$. It really is impressive how ridiculously fast the GTR shifts. $$$ yea the GTR just boggled my mind. It's nearing ferrari prices in terms of aftermarket. When some good ebay/chinese companies get ahold of the authentic products all hell is going to break loose :bonkers:

Guru0006
01-31-10, 11:18 PM
What does a Switzer P800 consist of? When you say the "V" did better than you thought it would against you. I would think you drove away like he shut the engine off. I would not even consider running a modded GTR.

Was a highway run. Not the GTR's strongpoint with stock turbos but despite that fact I was pulling on him in 5th a little bit and gradually more and more, by 6th gear he was quite a few car lengths behind me (short shifted into 6th). The weak highway pull is the reason for the turbo upgrades I'm getting next month. Doing twin GT30R HTA turbos, manifolds, external wastegates and of course upgraded fuel sytem and camshafts. Stock turbos run out of steam QUICKLY past the 120 MPH mark. I took it to 145ish on this run?

Guru0006
01-31-10, 11:22 PM

P800 is upgraded turbos, fuel system, Intercooler/piping, cooling system setup and of course reflash. Oddly they kind of expect the owners to already have downpipes, y pipe and cat back. It's ridiculously expensive for what you get. I'm spending less and will be making far more power. Limitation is that they use stock exhaust manifolds (which on the GTR are the turbine housings) and machine it out with larger wheels in there. I couldn't fit the turbine wheels I wanted to use in there and even if I could the stock manifold is not really designed to flow twice the airflow so I came to my senses and scrapped that idea. I'm having new manifolds built instead and that way I have external wastegates and v-band flanges throughout as well.

lmcgrew79
01-31-10, 11:27 PM
Interested to know how stock to stock would do...The gtr is a crazy magnificant car. Although ive only seen 2.

cbloveday
01-31-10, 11:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOAXJTTc__w&feature=player_embedded

lmcgrew79
01-31-10, 11:55 PM
that may be one of the funniest things ive ever seen.

Guru0006
01-31-10, 11:55 PM
That video is hilarious. Oldie but a goodie.

V-Eight
01-31-10, 11:56 PM
Oops, my bad, did not mean to forget our Canadian brothers & sisters. I know that Canada has some wicked turbo Buicks & mopars running around.

No worries :D I've only seen a few Turbo Buicks in my city but I see a fair number in BC whenever I go.

Sadly it is a bit more expensive to mod than the V but it does make more power so it's a give and a take.

Um, no

lmcgrew79
02-01-10, 12:00 AM
anymore videos like that..i had to watch it again. that is ridiculous.lol

cbloveday
02-01-10, 12:03 AM
No disrespect GURU. I love that GTR. :thumbsup:
I just needed a 4 door.

V-Eight
02-01-10, 12:03 AM
There is a whole 'series' of those Hitler videos.

brent eb02
02-01-10, 01:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V4awr8xoiU

you will love this guys he runs low 10's

aceofblitz
02-01-10, 03:35 AM
a lot of my friends own GT-Rs. So I do most of my testing with them. Stock GT-R vs Stock CTS-V I know the GT-R would win, because I tried multiple times. After I did my mods, I tested against a friend who has a GT-R HKS 570 kit + Mine's Titanium Exhaust and Downpipes + custom tune; I initially wanted to test vs a stock GT-R but you can't have those around here lol. I asked him to lower his boost back to stock levels (it would still beat the crap out of stock GT-Rs but I will work with what I have) from a 60km/h (37mph) roll, I was literally right next to him up to 210km/h (130mph) where we ran out of private road. My friend told me I'd beat a stock hands down from a roll, and he thinks I'd be able to slowly pace away from him after the 220km/h mark because the GT-R's acceleration slows down a little in the top end. In stock form my car did 454 rwhp, after mods 565 rwhp and I'm 100% sure a lot of people with my setup had much higher gains than I did lol.

BacDoc
02-01-10, 04:52 AM
YouTube- GT-R 10-135 Mph Pull - GoPro HD Hero (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJekld_e-yo&feature=player_embedded)

Nothing more impressive than doing 160mph on a public road full of school buses. What a toolbag.

Guru0006
02-01-10, 09:43 AM
Very interesting info guys. My goal is 800 WHP on 93 octane. I should be in that neighborhood with my next round of mods. There are tons of GTR's in the 700-750 WHP range with stock cams. CTS V's really aren't my fear (no offense, but most V owners care too much about their warranty to do anything major) but rather some of the modded Z-06's rolling around here and the occasional ZR1. Out of curiosity what is the limit with the larger ZR1 blower? At what HP levels does it reach the limits of pump fuel?

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 09:56 AM
Really cool video! I love Kenny's car, Vette Doc's did great work on it. What work did that black Z06 have done?

I am a big GT-R fan. From the dig, the CTS-V doesn't stand a chance. The AWD system in the GT-R is a technological marvel. The 6 speed dual clutch tranny just keeps it in boost on every shift and is just about the fastest thing this side of Ferrari.

I have never personally raced one before (can never find one that will bite!) but from what I've read, on a highway roll it would be a good race, maybe with the GT-R edging out the V a bit under 100 but once into the triple digits, the GT-R slows down and the V should be able to get even with it or pass it. This is what I've read from M5 owners and AMG owners. I am sure I will come across one, but I am not stock...then again, neither are most GT-R's.

BTW a modded GT-R is a nightmare! Fast as hell, I wouldn't want to mess with one. And I'm talking about a bolt-on and tune GT-R, not one with modified turbos.

Guru, I was close to getting the GT-R but it's a daily driver and the reliability, cost of maintenance, harsh suspension, and cost of mods turned me to the V. Though I really wish we had AWD in these cars to get all this power to the ground; a clear advantage the GT-R will have on low speed rolls and from a stop, as well as in imperfect road and weather conditions. Congrats on the car and have fun modding it!

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 10:08 AM
Very interesting info guys. My goal is 800 WHP on 93 octane. I should be in that neighborhood with my next round of mods. There are tons of GTR's in the 700-750 WHP range with stock cams. CTS V's really aren't my fear (no offense, but most V owners care too much about their warranty to do anything major) but rather some of the modded Z-06's rolling around here and the occasional ZR1. Out of curiosity what is the limit with the larger ZR1 blower? At what HP levels does it reach the limits of pump fuel?

Well a nicely modded C6 Z06 with a couple G's put into it should run around 10 flat and trap around 140mph. My old car had camshaft, headers, basic boltons, 100 shot, and tune from Vette Doctors.

This is it against a modified ZX-10 bike with insane driver from a 90-200mph roll.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIDk4hERnpw

It was very quick for a street car/daily driver. I know the ZR1's can be in the low-mid 10's with very basic mods.

I think the fastest we can make the CTS-V while still keeping it usable as a daily driver is a mid 10 second car.

And yes, I do value my warranty. I have mods done to it, but they are easily reversible and nothing extreme. I believe fueling issues have been sorted out and cars are seeing upwards of 800rwhp with nitrous use (I'm sure more boost from a bigger blower, aggressive camshaft, etc will make these numbers as well)

Guru0006
02-01-10, 10:17 AM
Guru, I was close to getting the GT-R but it's a daily driver and the reliability, cost of maintenance, harsh suspension, and cost of mods turned me to the V. Though I really wish we had AWD in these cars to get all this power to the ground; a clear advantage the GT-R will have on low speed rolls and from a stop, as well as in imperfect road and weather conditions. Congrats on the car and have fun modding it!

Maintenance? Not really much to that other than the uber expensive transmission fluid changes but that is once a year and you can do it yourself. It's pretty simple. Fluid is pricey no matter what though. Other than that there is not much to maintenance other than maybe an alignment here and there.

cbloveday
02-01-10, 10:23 AM

:yawn::thepan:

Z06ified
02-01-10, 10:59 AM
I bought the car to make power. Sadly it is a bit more expensive to mod than the V but it does make more power so it's a give and a take.

Sorry man, but if you wanted modified power, you bought the wrong car. If power is your game, you want to start with a car that is mod-friendly (including a robust drivetrain), and preferably with a V-8. The GT-R is neither. You can build a very powerful GT-R, but it's going to cost you a lot more money, time, and headache than with a V or a Corvette.

Razorecko
02-01-10, 11:23 AM
different strokes for different folks. The GTR uses a glob of really new technology, the V uses alot of proven technology thats merely updated. The V will have traction issues, that is its achilles heel. The GTR has a fragile system that needs several aftermarket upgrades to run high power reliability. The GTR can't make runs consistently because it overheats so rapidly. This is why if you notice with the GTR V-Spec outside the "5hp" bump all the mods were weight related. Nissan knows that the system when pushed hard runs on the edge of reliability. I would like to see some company come in and make alot of the aftermarket parts for the GTR at a budget. The fact is the only reason an exhaust costs near $2k on the GTR is because the market is limited and people will pay for it. Alot like we get screwed for $1200 over two corsa mufflers. Time will tell.

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 11:29 AM
Sorry man, but if you wanted modified power, you bought the wrong car. If power is your game, you want to start with a car that is mod-friendly (including a robust drivetrain), and preferably with a V-8. The GT-R is neither. You can build a very powerful GT-R, but it's going to cost you a lot more money, time, and headache than with a V or a Corvette.

True, but some people prefer more individuality and different platforms for different reasons.

GT-R is awd, V6TT, 2+2 seating, paddle shift: techno-racecar.
Z06 is lightweight, n/a V8, 2 seat, stick: raw

If money is no issue, then it comes down to personal preference. Me personally, I take a Porsche 997TT over any of those. Next comes the Z06 but the GT-R is close behind. If I had a ton of money to blow on mods and warranty didn't matter though, I'd probably pick the GT-R just because it's the "in" car right now and with like an SPI800 package, it is very, very fast. The AWD gets the power to the ground, whereas with a Z06, 700rwhp+ translates to black streaks on the highway.

Z06ified
02-01-10, 12:03 PM
True, but some people prefer more individuality and different platforms for different reasons.

GT-R is awd, V6TT, 2+2 seating, paddle shift: techno-racecar.
Z06 is lightweight, n/a V8, 2 seat, stick: raw

If money is no issue, then it comes down to personal preference.

Agreed. However, for me, no matter how wealthy I am, or become, money will always be a factor. I always want to get the most for my money no matter how much of it I have. There has to be at least perceived, if not tangible, value for my money. It's just the way I roll. It's served me well in the past. For example, in 2002, I could have spent $110k on a Porsche 911 Turbo. I didn't, and spent $47k on a new 2002 Z06 instead, a car with nearly identical performance. Now, today, I still have the Z06, and I was able to afford a 2010 CTS-V, and still have plenty of cash saved up, whereas with the Porsche 911, I would not have been able to (especially factoring in the Porsche maintenance costs). I would much rather have both my '02 Z06 and my '10 CTS-V, than one '02 911 turbo, or even one '10 911 turbo.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't eventually buy a Ferrari before I die. Ferrari's are obviously very expensive, and certainly not the best bang for the buck, but they have enough perceived value to me that I think they're worth it. I don't think I would buy one new though.

The AWD gets the power to the ground, whereas with a Z06, 700rwhp+ translates to black streaks on the highway.

The question is, does the GT-R's AWD system, and more specifically, it's DSG tranny, get 700rwhp+ to the ground reliably? Not without extensive and expensive modification.

Better question is, what you are trying to achieve with these huge horsepower numbers? If you're not taking it to the track, and putting that kind of power down on public roads, you're putting your license, life, and the lives of others in great danger. Yet, I don't hear anyone saying they want their car to be a 1/4 mile drag strip terror, or a road course track star. Even the original thread poster said they were lucky the trooper they went past was sleeping. What if he wasn't? 145 mph and street racing can equal game over in a hurry, making 700 rwhp+ the same as zero.

Razorecko
02-01-10, 12:13 PM
^ thats why i went with the manual V. A few owners of GTR's even stated its like a caged animal that you have to restrain

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 12:43 PM
Agreed. However, for me, no matter how wealthy I am, or become, money will always be a factor. I always want to get the most for my money no matter how much of it I have. There has to be at least perceived, if not tangible, value for my money. It's just the way I roll. It's served me well in the past. For example, in 2002, I could have spent $110k on a Porsche 911 Turbo. I didn't, and spent $47k on a new 2002 Z06 instead, a car with nearly identical performance. Now, today, I still have the Z06, and I was able to afford a 2010 CTS-V, and still have plenty of cash saved up, whereas with the Porsche 911, I would not have been able to (especially factoring in the Porsche maintenance costs). I would much rather have both my '02 Z06 and my '10 CTS-V, than one '02 911 turbo, or even one '10 911 turbo.

Now, that doesn't mean I won't eventually buy a Ferrari before I die. Ferrari's are obviously very expensive, and certainly not the best bang for the buck, but they have enough perceived value to me that I think they're worth it. I don't think I would buy one new though.

The question is, does the GT-R's AWD system, and more specifically, it's DSG tranny, get 700rwhp+ to the ground reliably? Not without extensive and expensive modification.

Better question is, what you are trying to achieve with these huge horsepower numbers? If you're not taking it to the track, and putting that kind of power down on public roads, you're putting your license, life, and the lives of others in great danger. Yet, I don't hear anyone saying they want their car to be a 1/4 mile drag strip terror, or a road course track star. Even the original thread poster said they were lucky the trooper they went past was sleeping. What if he wasn't? 145 mph and street racing can equal game over in a hurry, making 700 rwhp+ the same as zero.

No doubt brother! The GT-R is a money trap. If you have a huge budget for it and really don't care, then its a "cool" car to mod and go fast. I wouldn't risk blowing the DSG and I would probably be too afraid to mod if it I had one. Guys also dump $30k into their brand new 911 Turbos as well. Some even do twin turbo kits on Lamborghini Gallardos. Obviously not the cheapest way to have a powerful car :)...but it's pretty damn cool! It's all up to what money you have budgeted to spend on a car and what your car is needed for. I needed a daily driver that will keep me entertained, looks good, comfortable, and fast. This car suits my needs without spending the extra 40k on a E63. I was smoking MB's, Mustangs, and most Vettes at the Dragstrip and had the most attention out of anyone due to the fact that I did it in a big Cadillac sedan. People were pretty shocked. When the GT-R does a low 11 second pass, its :yawn: because we expect it to be FAST.

I still love the GT-R, Z06, and 911 Turbo, as well as my CTS-V. All different cars for different purposes, price ranges, and performance levels. :thumbsup:

Oh and that video of the GT-R passing school buses...:tisk:...I am not an angel on the streets as most of you know, but that is just wrong. Broad day light, crowded road, and looks like its when school just got out so kids crawling everywhere. Bad decision, lucky guy. Save the street racing antics for totally deserted roads and late nights when the only ones at risk are you and the opponent.

Luna.
02-01-10, 12:48 PM
Nissan voids the warranty if you dyno the GTR. No thanks

:histeric: What?

Rest assured, they'd be hearing from my attorney if that was the case of a failure.

Nissan making that claim makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

"Nissan voids the warranty if you dyno the GTR."

WTFO? What technology is Nissan using to know you've had your car dyno'd? Three Pre-cogs in a tank straight out of Minority Report maybe?!!

CC

:histeric: Great one!

V owner's probably up ordering headers, pulley, heads, cam, & tune right now.

LOL. Modded Vs are simply nasty...

Yeah, I tend to agree. Bang-for-your-buck, it's hard to beat GM right now.

Guru0006
02-01-10, 01:26 PM
Wow 4 pages and still no answer to the question I originally asked. Just to put things straight the GTR trans is actually pretty stout. It does have a weak 1st gear and as I mentioned it is easily fixed with the PPG upgrade which runs $1999. I don't forsee any issues with the trans once that and some of the clips and seals are upgraded. Trans is super easy to take out (if a bit heavy at 330 lbs). Is this car more expensive to mod than a V? Absolutely and was a big consideration when I was deciding what to buy. The lack of traction on the V as well as styling/purpose were the big reasons I went to Nissan. Everyone has different needs I suppose and for some a 4 door is very practical as is the nicer interior and other features on the V. It was a close call though and I have enourmous respect for the V as well as the newer Vettes. As I mentioned before this is not a V vs GTR thread whatsoever.

gnxs
02-01-10, 02:27 PM
Wow 4 pages and still no answer to the question I originally asked.
Could be that the guy doesn't post on this or perhaps any forum. :hmm:

I imagine that in either stock or mildly modded form the two cars are fairly close in performance. Not surprised that the "V" stayed close to you. I've only seen one GT-R on the road since they came out so I imagine an encounter with one will be fairly rare. I hope if I do run across one it's in a rolling situation not a dig. :D

Good luck with your mods, should be pretty stout when done. Where I live both Sound Performance and AMS are doing some healthy GT-R builds. I heard AMS is shooting for 1000 hp with theirs. I'm sure I'll see it out at the track testing this Summer. :thumbsup:

Guru0006
02-01-10, 02:54 PM
Could be that the guy doesn't post on this or perhaps any forum. :hmm:

I imagine that in either stock or mildly modded form the two cars are fairly close in performance. Not surprised that the "V" stayed close to you. I've only seen one GT-R on the road since they came out so I imagine an encounter with one will be fairly rare. I hope if I do run across one it's in a rolling situation not a dig. :D

Good luck with your mods, should be pretty stout when done. Where I live both Sound Performance and AMS are doing some healthy GT-R builds. I heard AMS is shooting for 1000 hp with theirs. I'm sure I'll see it out at the track testing this Summer. :thumbsup:

Yep I actually contacted AMS but their manifolds were not going to be done in the time frame I wanted and they are using Precision turbos. I wanted to use Garrett ball bearing with the FP HTA upgrades so no go. AMS is good but they take FOREVER to make anything. Their EVO X manifold that they showed last year is STILL not out which is why I just use Peak Boost now for that stuff. I hope to make it out to Joliet this summer and see how I do against some of thos AMS cars.

commander112
02-01-10, 03:15 PM
I already said it wasn't me! That GTR has to super rare around here. I have yet to see one on the road in Detroit.

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 03:38 PM
Wow 4 pages and still no answer to the question I originally asked. Just to put things straight the GTR trans is actually pretty stout. It does have a weak 1st gear and as I mentioned it is easily fixed with the PPG upgrade which runs $1999. I don't forsee any issues with the trans once that and some of the clips and seals are upgraded. Trans is super easy to take out (if a bit heavy at 330 lbs). Is this car more expensive to mod than a V? Absolutely and was a big consideration when I was deciding what to buy. The lack of traction on the V as well as styling/purpose were the big reasons I went to Nissan. Everyone has different needs I suppose and for some a 4 door is very practical as is the nicer interior and other features on the V. It was a close call though and I have enourmous respect for the V as well as the newer Vettes. As I mentioned before this is not a V vs GTR thread whatsoever.

And I have complete respect for the GT-R. If prices were closer and I felt more securely doing so, I would definitely have one in my garage. This is coming from a Z06 / V owner ;)

I bet the guy just isn't on the forums. Hopefully he is though so we can find out what the deal is on mods.

Z06ified
02-01-10, 04:16 PM
The lack of traction on the V as well as styling/purpose were the big reasons I went to Nissan. Everyone has different needs I suppose and for some a 4 door is very practical as is the nicer interior and other features on the V. It was a close call though and I have enourmous respect for the V as well as the newer Vettes. As I mentioned before this is not a V vs GTR thread whatsoever.

The V and GT-R aren't competitors anyway. They are two different cars with different missions. I mean really, the only things they are similar with are they both have a back seat, and they have similar acceleration from a roll. I suppose they're fun to compare because they have similar rolling acceleration numbers, but for different reasons. But I don't think there is too much cross-shopping going on between the two cars. I also think the vast majority of V owners have lots of respect for the GT-R and maybe wouldn't mind owning one (I'm one of them), and I think the majority of GT-R owners have lots of respect for the V and wouldn't mind owning one either. If you think about it, anyone who buys one of these cars pretty much has to be a performance car enthusiast. There's no point in either car if you're not. Most performance car enthusiasts appreciate performance cars, no matter who made it. It's just some brands/models fit their particular owner's wants and needs better than others. Those who do their homework before buying are usually satisfied with their purchase. Those who don't, are likely disappointed.

Luna.
02-01-10, 07:17 PM
Most performance car enthusiasts appreciate performance cars, no matter who made it.

I agree with most of what you posted, but I disagree a little bit here.

It's great to hear/read that you are one of those people (& I know I am as well), but there are far too many others (mostly on other forums, some might even say the Benz-AMG/BMW-M forums) that just simply don't respect other performance cars & often times can be flat out rude. I know I read a few from the BMW forums and it borders on pathetic...

Razorecko
02-02-10, 01:01 AM
I agree with most of what you posted, but I disagree a little bit here.

It's great to hear/read that you are one of those people (& I know I am as well), but there are far too many others (mostly on other forums, some might even say the Benz-AMG/BMW-M forums) that just simply don't respect other performance cars & often times can be flat out rude. I know I read a few from the BMW forums and it borders on pathetic...

lol...yea the same " yea its faster, interior is nice, but is it an M ?!? "

Z06ified
02-02-10, 09:13 AM
but there are far too many others (mostly on other forums, some might even say the Benz-AMG/BMW-M forums) that just simply don't respect other performance cars & often times can be flat out rude. I know I read a few from the BMW forums and it borders on pathetic...

Such people usually suffer from small penis syndrome. Ignore them. If you're feeling sympathetic, feel sorry for them. :kick:

Gotham CTS-V
02-02-10, 11:26 AM
I owned an M5. It was a really cool car, great V10 noise, fun snapping shifts, high redline, seats that hug you on turns, HUD.

I don't miss it a bit. The CTS-V does everythign that car did but much better in every aspect.

Guru0006
02-02-10, 04:32 PM
I owned an M5. It was a really cool car, great V10 noise, fun snapping shifts, high redline, seats that hug you on turns, HUD.

I don't miss it a bit. The CTS-V does everythign that car did but much better in every aspect.

That's a surprising statement considering the uber high price tag on the M5. I think the new twin turbo M5 is going to be very impressive and more up my alley (I'm a boostaholic and prefer turbo to SC). That does tell people that the V is a force to be reckoned with and a pheonominal value. GTR is too. Thus why I was looking at both of these vastly different cars.

sj1400
02-03-10, 12:30 AM
Guru,

I hope for BMW's sake the new 5 series doesn't suffer from the dreaded HPFP issue.. All cars have there flaws but I'm suprised there hasn't been a fix yet. Many frustrated 335i/535i customers suffering repeated pump failures or faulty injectors.

My second rant(old) - I appreciate the performance of the GTR. I just think Nissan misled it's customers. They marketed the car with launch control yet stiff the owner with a 20k bill if vdc is turned off. Very pathetic for an engineering flaw. Now we understand the owner can upgrade 1st gear at there own expense OR get the updated less aggressive version loaded - plz correct me if i'm wrong. Nissan did NOT handle that properly. That's the advantage of awd and the strength of the gtr - a hard launch.

Back on topic - I'm in your area - I'd love to check out the GTR when the weather breaks..

Htown09
02-03-10, 01:24 AM
Wish Nissan would have kept with the I-6 instead of V6. The lap times on that thing though is ridiculous!

How does it drive on the streets? Is the suspension uncomfortable? The V rides like a dream on the highway.

Guru0006
02-03-10, 07:21 AM
Actually it's not bad but don't expect Cadillac ride out of a GTR. It is firm even in comfort mode. I'm sure the lowering stiffer springs didn't help on mine but it handles out of this world. I think the non RFT tires will help this quite a bit. I have new wheels and tires ready to go on as soon as weather breaks. 295 front and 335 rears. That should help with traction. Running rear radial drag slicks for track (unless I can find a 17 inch wheel that will fit over those huge brakes). The RB26 was a great motor and certainly easier to work on, but it was showing it's age and had notorious oil pump problems (which cost many a motor). Want ridiculous? Try buying a JUN oil pump for an RB26. $1750. Yep. For an oil pump. Crazy. I am hoping to make 1000 HP and will be running stock engine (other than cams) so I'm kind of glad they developed this new motor. It's more stout and makes more power with better spool up (due to 1.2 liters of increased displacement). I'm happy with the change even if it is a pain to work on.

Gotham CTS-V
02-03-10, 08:44 AM
That's a surprising statement considering the uber high price tag on the M5. I think the new twin turbo M5 is going to be very impressive and more up my alley (I'm a boostaholic and prefer turbo to SC). That does tell people that the V is a force to be reckoned with and a pheonominal value. GTR is too. Thus why I was looking at both of these vastly different cars.

You mention that you are suprised by the price tag and how the cars are similiar, or if anything, the V is better...

Yet, there is no better example of this than the GT-R against the 997 Turbo. Twin Turbo 6, AWD, 2+2 seating, amazing lap times. The GT-R beats it. Styling is subjective and the interior of the Porsche may be more upscale than the GT-R, but for the $80k GT-R against the $135k Porsche Turbo, most would say that you are paying more for the name and prestige at that point.

The M5 is different than the V in that it makes power by using a totally different philosophy, yet they both perform similiar, with the V beating it out in basically all aspects. But either way, V is $70k fully loaded and the M5 is $100k fully loaded. The GT-R is an even better bang for your buck than the CTS-V since it is in direct comparison with a $135,000 car.

Again, congrats on the car and hopefully the modding process goes very well for you. This is my history with Nissan and the GT-R...

I remember when NAGTROC was first around, before the GT-R was even revealed, I had a written contract with a top Nissan dealer. I had the first GT-R in the country actually. My contract agreement said "sold at MSRP price" since MSRP wasn't announced yet; I even put down a $1,000 deposit.. Well, a year later when the car was revealed and ready to be shipped and everyone started swarming the Nissan dealerships for one, I got a phone call. They asked how I wanted it spec'ed, colors, etc. Then the salesman asked how much of the $115,000 I wanted to put down in cash. I told him about my MSRP agreement and how I even had emails backing it up. The salesman said it was the general manager's decision and that's that. The general manager would not get on the phone. I had my attorney send a letter to them showing the documents and how I had a contract with them. The general manager finally got on the phone and said that the owner of the dealership will sell it to me for $25k over sticker but no less. I told them I would sue their asses and get the car. They told me to go ahead. Frustated, pissed off, and angry with Nissan, I left and got a Corvette Z06. I vowed to never deal with Nissan for as long as I live. I broke my oath and went to the local Nissan dealership 2 weeks ago. They had a beautiful Charcoal premium GT-R on the showroom floor. I was able to make a great deal with them on a trade for my CTS-V. They were giving me $61k and I would get the GT-R for $66k (used with extended warranty). I made a deal and the next day I go to sign the contract and find that now they want $50k for my Caddy. WTF Nissan!?

As much as I like the GT-R, I can't take their attitudes at Nissan. I'll wait for a Porshe 997TT or go back to a Corvette since i was treated like a king. Sorry for the long rant. Just venting a bit.

Still, great car and congratulations! Hopefully they treat you with respect.

asabase
02-03-10, 08:50 AM
Your story reminds me of what my dodge dealer did to me when the Challenger SRT-8s first came out. Not near the money, but they pissed me off just as much.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 09:37 AM
Wow, this thread is still around and hasn't been poop-canned to the street racing vault? What, are the mods busy with newborn babies, or something? :highfive:

Anywho, someone has to report this...

Hawkeye2
02-03-10, 11:45 AM
I thought that right from the get go. However, it has turned into an intersting post. Maybe just delete the street racing references...

V-Eight
02-03-10, 11:47 AM
Your story reminds me of what my dodge dealer did to me when the Challenger SRT-8s first came out. Not near the money, but they pissed me off just as much.

The dealers around me won't even let you test drive them. Do these dealers honestly believe people are going to buy a ****ing car that they can't test out? I sure as hell wouldn't. Sure there will be a few Hemi whores who will, but aside from that, I think a lot of people will steer clear.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 11:53 AM
Hemi whores. hmm...

Razorecko
02-03-10, 12:12 PM
GTR sales are stalling hard. That itself will really hamper aftermarket development and will cause all aftermarket parts for the R to stay ridiculously high.

Z06ified
02-03-10, 12:19 PM
Funny, I never test drove any of the new cars I purchased. I guess I'm a bit strange in that regard. Although I never had any regrets with any of my purchases. I suppose I researched the cars so much before deciding that I didn't feel the need to test drive them.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 12:21 PM
I got to test drive a V2 to 125mph. I never test drove my V1 since I was an early adopter...

Bigron
02-03-10, 12:47 PM
Has this been posted yet?

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36946&st=0

$55k for a new engine after it blows, from a chip and some mods?

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 01:06 PM

There is no denying that Cadillac spit the bit with the early fragile rear ends. There is also no denying that Nissan produced a deadly, yet lethal, vehicle in the GTR. You can only get those great acceleration numbers for so long before it booms. And it will boom.

Maybe Nissan should've gone less for bragging rights and more for all around performance that's reliable...

4gear70
02-03-10, 01:48 PM

Yes, that's insane. They can make some serious power that's for sure, though.
But what's really unnerving is to read this type of comment in another thread:

"After a month of back and forth. Flikr data logs, engineers sent out to borescope the motor, pics taken, etc.. It took Nissan.jp locating a video of the car on the dyno, posted on thsi forum to deny any and all assistance."

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=36691&st=0

Gotham CTS-V
02-03-10, 02:06 PM
http://jalopnik.com/5461280/nissan-gt+r-owner-voids-warranty-grenades-36k-engine/gallery/

Article from Jalopnik regarding this.

Really sad. I mean, I understand modifying a car and having the motor blow. But from a simple ECU flash? That is NOT good at all. I understand if he swapped the turbos or was playing around with some nitrous, but on stock turbos with a basic mod like the COBB tune? Comon' Nissan! This is a tuner's car, it's JDM to the fullest, yet sh*t like this happens?...

I know this is being really shady and some of you will look down upon this, but it is still an advantage. My friend has a Trailblazer SS. He had the car modified with basic bolt-ons and a small shot of n2o. His tranny broke on him. He removed the mods, flashed it back to stock and brought it into GM. They realized that his ECU was blanked out with no records and it looked like it had been tampered with, yet they still gave him a new tranny and took care of him. That makes me feel pretty confident. Even when I had my Z06 with a whole bunch of crap done to it, I would bring it into the dealer and tell them it's modded and they would talk to me about it and praise my car. Never had a problem with service.

Trying to buy a GT-R was a nightmare. I can only imagine what the service department is like.

Not bashing the car itself. I still love it. Just wish Nissan would step up to the plate. I understand the guy modded his car, but at the same time, the same exact problem happened to dozens (maybe hundreds?) of GT-R's in europe that were recalled for blown motors for the exact same problem.

Z06ified
02-03-10, 02:22 PM
Engine replacement for the GT-R was later quoted at $36k, not $55k. Still a crap load of money.

For reference, a crate LS9 engine retails for $23k, and is a much more impressive and stout engine, IMO.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 03:19 PM
The engine is nearly half of the sticker price of the car? Good night...

Titaniumseeker
02-09-10, 10:47 AM
Gotham CTS-V, your experience with trying to purchase the GTR is similar to mine. That is why I purchased the CTS-V. The Nissan dealerships seemed to go against the wishes of the chairman of Nissan who once stated in an interview that he wanted the GTR to remain affordable and at the 70K range. The dealerships got greedy trying to push the price an aditional 25K over MSRP.

Htown09
02-10-10, 03:59 AM
Engine replacement for the GT-R was later quoted at $36k, not $55k. Still a crap load of money.

For reference, a crate LS9 engine retails for $23k, and is a much more impressive and stout engine, IMO.

What about a GTR with a LS9 powerplant? :alchi:

SlvrBullIT
02-10-10, 04:52 AM
^^^^
Wouldn't fit and be a AWD car.... FWIW

Would love to see a LS9 V, Hennessy did a LS9 Camaro, why not a V? Or a LS9 V coupe....

Guru0006
02-10-10, 09:50 AM
Actually the block is only like $2200 and you can add the internals you want. A built motor would cost that guy about $5000 unless the one of the head was damaged.