: 2010 upgrades

johnm
01-31-10, 04:05 PM
I just got a new 2010 cts v automatic, I will use as a hard driven daily driver with lots of miles 12 months a year. I"ve seen theSLR advertisment for there chips that claim to add millage and horsepower. Due to the use of th car; im not so much concerned with additional h.p. but on a long trip when the car is not driven hard at 75 to 80 mph i'd be nice to see a millage improvement
Has anybody had any experience with a product out there that would accomodate my needs?

Biggest reason is the small tank requires lots of stops on lond runs. Previous 2007 escalade with 30 plus gal could go almost 500 miles on these type of trips and the 18 gal tank will require more stops.
BUT i totally love the car. GM did a great job.

Hondarrr
01-31-10, 04:34 PM
don't step on it, go at the speed limited that should save you some gas.

1HOT CTS-V
01-31-10, 08:46 PM
Be very skeptical of improved mileage claims. If it was as simple as that GM would have done it already. It's either more power or better gas mileage, not both - don't believe it. If you want better mileage drive on the slow lane at or slightly above the speed limit and never floor it :D

thebigjimsho
01-31-10, 11:37 PM
Change the final drive gearing...

Gotham CTS-V
02-01-10, 09:31 AM
I think some people have reported better gas mileage with Wait For Me's tune (Jesse). Personally, since I've gotten the tune, my mileage has been even worse due to me driving like a maniac! I think it was documented in a post or 2 and on youtube.

musclesbmf
02-01-10, 11:26 AM
If it was as simple as that GM would have done it already. It's either more power or better gas mileage, not both - don't believe it.

So not true. GM makes the stock tune pig rich which wastes more fuel does not make optimum power. At ideal A/F ratio, you can get both. Contact Jesse at W4M.

Mark

1HOT CTS-V
02-01-10, 02:10 PM
So not true. GM makes the stock tune pig rich which wastes more fuel does not make optimum power. At ideal A/F ratio, you can get both. Contact Jesse at W4M.

Mark

That may be true but you run the risk of running it too lean and blowing a hole through a piston. Everything is a compromise, I rather have the safety that the GM engineers built into the car.

musclesbmf
02-01-10, 02:32 PM
If you buy bad gas there is a risk of blowing a hole in a piston... but anyways...

wait4me
02-01-10, 04:52 PM
:) those SLR things are a joke, they are just tricking an important sensor. The iat sensor needs to be correct or it will report incorrect values, and give you way more or too little timing. Too much like that chip messes with will likely blow your engine as it would add about 7 degrees of timing when your engine couldnt take any more at all... So you will have 15 or so degrees of spark retard making the the car make 60hp less than stock values.

RemoWilliams
02-03-10, 05:18 PM
If you buy bad gas there is a risk of blowing a hole in a piston... but anyways...

Gas is gas, unless your running racing fuel. No need to pay for Chevron or Shell V-power crap. A bunch of marketing BS. The only difference is VERY little additive per 1000 gal. Not worth the price diff.

thebigjimsho
02-03-10, 07:20 PM
Gas is gas, unless your running racing fuel. No need to pay for Chevron or Shell V-power crap. A bunch of marketing BS. The only difference is VERY little additive per 1000 gal. Not worth the price diff.
Gas is gas unless it's bad gas...

marktanner
02-06-10, 02:32 PM
Truly bad gas doesn't appear all that often, but I have seen investigations where up to 40% of some stations were selling regular out of the premium pumps. These were mostly independents, but the report stated that even 20% of oil comany owned stations did the same thing. For a modded car, that can constitute bad gas, especially if you drive hard into the boost. Hopefully, the knock sensors and computer would still save the day, but with computer mods you never know.

Gary Wells
02-06-10, 02:52 PM

Not necessarily correct, and for comparisons sake, it would totally depend upon the price difference, which is different from city to city, county to county, state to state, etc., etc.

vjjack04
02-06-10, 08:26 PM
I just got a new 2010 cts v automatic, I will use as a hard driven daily driver with lots of miles 12 months a year. I"ve seen theSLR advertisment for there chips that claim to add millage and horsepower. Due to the use of th car; im not so much concerned with additional h.p. but on a long trip when the car is not driven hard at 75 to 80 mph i'd be nice to see a millage improvement
Has anybody had any experience with a product out there that would accomodate my needs?

Biggest reason is the small tank requires lots of stops on lond runs. Previous 2007 escalade with 30 plus gal could go almost 500 miles on these type of trips and the 18 gal tank will require more stops.
BUT i totally love the car. GM did a great job.

find someone who can fab you a bigger gas tank. Other than that you could carry extra fuel cans in the trunk...