: I got a "WTF" moment

dawgjoose
01-30-10, 03:46 PM
I will be driving along and outta nowhere...a long beep come from the car (sound like the fasten seatbelt chime when you start the car) This is my "WTF" moment! Although the car isn't acting any differently, and no warning lights come on...(yes the check engine light has been on awhile) Ok, no more lights come on. That chime rattles me. Is there a reset that needs to be done? I recently changed the oil...could that be it?

CateraMV6
01-30-10, 06:16 PM
That chime only comes when something critical is happening...

If your oil level is too low you get a warning light and if oil pressure is critical, you get that crazy long chime...

Also happens when engine overheats, and there is something seriously wrong with the catalitic converters...

I would go on amazon and get a MAXITRIP gauge to use for every day code checking and in general trip computer use.

CateraMV6
01-30-10, 06:18 PM

If your oil level is too low you get a warning light and if oil pressure is critical, you get that crazy long chime...

Also happens when engine overheats, and there is something seriously wrong with the catalitic converters...

I would go on amazon and get a MAXITRIP gauge to use for every day code checking and in general trip computer use.

dawgjoose
02-09-10, 04:48 PM
Thanks MV6! I did as you suggested. However the battery died in the waiting process. I charged it and the check engine light went off.I rode around for a bit and the CEL came back on. I scanned it with the MAXItRIP and codes PO150 and PO151 showed up. I was able to turn off that light though! I consider that a victory in of itself! BTW I really like this scan tool! If anyone knows what these codes mean let me know!

dawgjoose
02-11-10, 12:50 PM
Update! I finally looked on the AUTEL site and fownloaded the DTC Library. Now I'm good! Guess I got me a 02 sensor circuit malfunction! Bank 2 sensor 1

MRXRAY
02-15-10, 05:57 AM
Do you have a link to the Autel site?

dawgjoose
03-12-10, 04:39 PM
The link is: autel.com. However, I bought mine from Amazon.com. Very good deal! Hope this helps you!

dawgjoose
03-12-10, 04:42 PM
Update: The caddy is parked for the rest of the Winter. I'll work on it when the ground thaws out here! ( could be around the last week of May)

catera00
03-12-10, 06:47 PM

hold up! youre saying the cat is supposed to chime when you over heat or have too low of oil pressure?? Cause I have both all the time and have never heard a chime. Damnit. Chime musta broke. ha! no surprise there. my check engine light burned out too one time.

CateraMV6
03-12-10, 07:43 PM
I think there is a buzzer that goes off if the oil pressure level drops below 15psi.. basically tells you to cut the engine immedietly..

THe light on the dash only says add oil.., still critical but not as bad as no oil pressure, which can cause bearing damage on the crank shaft...

Also I think if overheating then it does the same thing...

If you ever see the CEL flashing pull over and shut it off...

dawgjoose
03-14-10, 09:10 PM
My oil pressure never dropped during the chimes. the CEl never flashed. It didn't run hot...I think it may be haunted by the "chime ghost"!!! The Caddy runs fine, but I just parked it because it is too cold for me to be outside. I can wait...