Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  c4ss 
#1 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong section in advance.

I'm currently looking to get an 04 cts-v, i have a few concerns/issues.

First thing is the e-brake handle/cable going to the e-brake is busted, is it just a cable that needs replacing?

second, as soon as the car breaks traction the abs, traction, and air bag light come on, then shuts off after about 30 seconds. Anyone know what the issues could be caused by?

third the rear 3rd brake light is cracked, can just the light be replace or does the entire bezel need replacing?

fourth, is there anything in particular i should be looking at on this car?

fifth, how smooth should the shifter be? i mean when putting it into gear? should there be some resistance or should it be really smooth?

last question i have is how often should the clutch be replaced?

Thanks for your guys time, only reason im still looking at this car is the price seems pretty decent.

See less See more
#2 ·
I apologize if this is in the wrong section in advance.

I'm currently looking to get an 04 cts-v, i have a few concerns/issues.

First thing is the e-brake handle/cable going to the e-brake is busted, is it just a cable that needs replacing?

second, as soon as the car breaks traction the abs, traction, and air bag light come on, then shuts off after about 30 seconds. Anyone know what the issues could be caused by?

third the rear 3rd brake light is cracked, can just the light be replace or does the entire bezel need replacing?

fourth, is there anything in particular i should be looking at on this car?

fifth, how smooth should the shifter be? i mean when putting it into gear? should there be some resistance or should it be really smooth?

last question i have is how often should the clutch be replaced?

Thanks for your guys time, only reason im still looking at this car is the price seems pretty decent.
The parking brake is self adjusting - cycle it three times and see if it gets better. Otherwise it uses drum style brakes located behind the rear disc brakes. Adjustment requires removing the wheels. The cable rarely breaks and is not adjustable. If a dealer adjusts/fixes this it will a cost a C-note or more.

The traction control action sounds normal EXCEPT it should not stay on for 30 seconds.

You should look for differential noise on any used V - drive it at highway speeds with light accel/decel with the rear seat trunk access down.

On the clutch, they last 50k+ miles if driven normally. They are disengaged using hydraulics that require frequent maintenance in that the brake fluid in the clutch master cylinder requires flushing or bleeding at least once year. This affects shifting dramatically. In fact, you really cannot test the transmission shifting unless the clutch fluid is relatively clean and full.

#3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply, but i was talking about the e brake release handle and the cable going to the e brake pedal.

Sorry for the confusion. The e-brake itself works fine you just have to actually get to the pedal to release it.

And i will definitely be taking it on the highway and listening for the whine.

Also when you say the traction thing is normal, it might be less then 30 seconds, but the airbag light and abs come on aswell..

Thanks again.

#4 ·
Since the V your interested in is going on 6 years old, maybe you can pull the VIN and see if you can get a service history on the car. If the car has been through three owners and the rear end has been repaired or replaced several times, then I would make sure not to pay too much for the car. Although they are not terribley expensive to repair as a German sedan, lots of stuff can be hosed up if the car was treated like a 60-70s muscle car. Darkman has given you good advice to focus on the diff. The ebrake doesn't sound like a deal breaker to me. How many miles?

#6 ·
That's a very good sign. Is the "skip shift " feature still intact? That's even better. Find out where the car was dealer serviced if you can.

#8 ·
I don't believe the skip shift has been done.

What concerns me most is the lights coming on every time the tires break loose.
The rest i can handle/take care of myself no problem.

Just surprised no one has had that same issue before.
This is the kind of problem I would likely take to a dealer. This system involves a number sensors, switches, and grounds which makes throwing parts at it expensive business. If you have a Check Engine light and a specific error code (DTC) come up, you can look up the code and that might reduce the possibilities.

#9 ·
Yeah I would definitely pull the VIN. My e brake release cable broke the second day I had the car. It was an easy fix and the dealer covered it. Are you buying this from a dealer or private sale? If it's from a dealer, tell them you want a Carfax report and find out if they are offering any type of warranty, like 30 days or so. I would look further into why those lights are coming on when you break traction. I could maybe understand the ABS once in a while but not the airbag. Goodluck!

#10 ·
Well the thing is i had an 03 cts that did the same thing, they cleaned the connections at the back, put dielectric grease on it and it never came back.
But the difference is that on my cts the lights would stay on till i turned the car off then back on, on this one they just come on, then go away.

Check engine light doesn't come on though.

#12 ·
one thing i forgot to mention is the battery is completely toast and doesn't hold a charge. First thing i would replace if i end up purchasing the car. Only thing so far i can think of is when the car breaks traction it stalls out thats why the lights come on and turn off as the car jump starts itself...

Dont know if that makes any sense.

#16 ·
Airbag is likely a sensor. My V did this for awhile. Dealer replaced under warranty and hasn't happened since. The car tends to have a few electrical gremlins, but once taken care of is a blast to drive. I'd use the electrical issues as leverage to get a good price and probably pick up the car. Post some pics if you do. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.