Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2003 ext any help is appreciated

989 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  blo30 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello and thanks in advance on any help you can offer. So I have a 2003 ext in the shop for two weeks now, originally i took it to our regular mechanic shop for a service ride control read and also been driving the truck with an air bag light that came on a while back so decided to get that checked out and had the lighter fuse replaced so our guy tells us he couldnt figure out the service ride error his computer couldnt find a problem and instead of guessing he said take it to the dealer.

The truck sat a couple days and we went to start it up and it was dead and stereo speakers have no sound so took it to our mechanic again to find out what the problem was checked the battery no problem checked the alt. no problem and it started fine that day next day we go to pick it up and its dead so we decide to take it to the dealership they fix the service ride error say it a computer module system that need to be replaced but the start problems have yet to be resolved we had a yellow top battery and have had no problems prior and the first week battery and alt. check out fine I tell him sometings gotta be draining the battery but Saturday he calls and say battery needs to be replaced so he replaces the battery then Monday he calls and says the alt. needs to be replaced and wed he says still same problem they are rechecking battery and possibly a bad alternator and if not something darining the battery as of right now we are in the hole with them $1500. and problems not resolved any ideas as to whats going on or advice about how the techs are handling this situation. I couldve taken it anywhere for guesses but these are certified GM techs why are they guessing?

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow this reminds me of a story from a friend at work. He's got a new RAM truck and there's a suspicious noize coming from the engine... 3000 miles so he brings it in. Its the alternator, they replace it. He picks up the truck, goes home, noize is still there. Goes back, they replace the alternator again. Same deal, goes back, they replace the belt idler pulley. Still no good. Goes back to the dealer, now its apparently the crank seal between tranny and engine. They replace it, guess what? It still not fixed! This is the worst time of the year to bring in your car-truck to the stealership for anything. Business is slow till spring, so let's make some $$$ anyway we can!

Back to your issue, current drain are not very hard to diagnose, it just takes patience, wiring diagram, and a bit of know-how. Don't pay for all that musical-chair parts swap! Have em put back your old parts on and run. Looks like the current drain happened after the fuse for the lighter was replaced? Maybe the problem is there? SCM (Suspension Control Module) trouble codes can only be read with a GM tech II scanner. Keep us posted.

#3 ·
Anytime you have a shop 'repair' something, the problem should go away. If it doesn't, have them replace the old part.

If the vehicle isn't starting, it might not necessarily be because of the battery. A free Autozone test will tell you if your battery and/or alternator is bad. A cheapo multimeter will tell you if your battery voltage is too low to start, if you're having starting problems. There are a ton of possible problems with these vehicles and starting. To help out with a diagnosis, more details would be needed.

When you try to start, is EVERYTHING dead in the car? (lights, radio, horn, seats, etc)
Is there ANY cranking when you turn the key?
What about the battery posts and cables? Any corrosion? Stiffness/brittleness of the cables?
Is your security light blinking on the dash when you try and start?
Have you made any changes/modifications/repairs to your vehicle around the time this problem started?
If it doesn't start, can you start it with a jump from another vehicle?

#4 ·
Well like I posted before it was checked out by our regular shop mechanic and they said no problems with the battery or alternator and for the first week ant the dealership there were no findings with battery or alternator either and all of a sudden they say its a bad cell in the battery and when that didnt fix the problem it was the alternator.They said both were bad but at this point meither has fixed the problem. When the battery dies it just seems as if there not enough pwer lights are a little dim and seat move slowly and radio turns on but no sound. the few things that were done to the vehicle before this started were a fuse in the carlighter was replaced and service airbag light was fixed. Mechanic said it had been disconnected so he connected it . Also the first mechanic was trying to figure out why service ride control light was on so he was going through wires and fuses trying to figure it out because he said his computer would not read the cadis computer to tell him why the light came on so he recommended the dealership . The dealership keeps saying it an intermittent problem and that they would not fix anything that doesnt need to be repaired. As of this morning they said they are are still working on it and their mechanic is a specially trained technician with blah amount of yrs exp. but what do I care how many years exp. he has if he cant figure out the problem and runnung up and outrages bill with guesses. How could they say all of a sudden both batt and alt are bad andit still didnt fix the problem. I dont think there was anything wrong with either. I just dont know what to do or say anymore they know I not happy and keep giving excuses as to whats going on. oh and there was no corrosion on the battery and I didnt notice the security lights . I just think something is draining the battery during the night if we jump it , it works fine for the day but after sitting the night is when it dies. Any ideas?

#5 ·
First, tell the dealership that if the new battery and alternator didn't fix the problem, that you want you old battery and alternator reinstalled. Second, there should be a standard diagnostic charge (usually about $65) to determine the problem. If they can't determine the problem, tell them that you're not paying, and that they can give you your car back. No one gives a crap about how much experience anyone has. If they refuse, tell them you're going to call your local news channel and report their asses to the 'problem solvers', and that the bad press they receive will hurt their pockets a lot more than whatever fee their trying to charge you for ongoing diagnostic tests.

I'd never pay $1500 and still NOT know what the problem is. Either it's a really tricky problem, or your dealership is screwing you.

It definitely sounds like there's a draw on the battery. Ask the previous mechanic to disconnect whatever he re-connected, and see if that's your problem. If that doesn't work, you can also try removing whatever fuse you replaced and see if that does anything. They're both possibilities for causing your problem. You also want to make sure that the mechanic that was 'going through wires and fuses' didn't damage anything.

I'm willing to bet that one of those 3 things will uncover your problem.

#6 ·
your right I will check over the things u said , it makes sense by the way this shop charges 250 for diagnostic, outrages but if it solved the problem id be ok with it but it didnt so yeah Im angry but just dont knowwhat my rights are as of right now

#7 ·
Call them (the dealership), ask to speak to the shop manager, and tell him that you want your vehicle. Tell them that it's absolutely unacceptable for a DEALERSHIP to have your vehicle for 2 weeks, and still not know what the problem is. Tell them you're not paying the diagnostic fee, since they didn't diagnose the problem, and that since the battery replacement and alternator replacement didn't fix the problem, that you want your old items re-installed. Then tell them that if they have any problems, that you'll either be contacting your lawyer or your local news channel's 'problem solvers to make sure they get plenty of bad press. Tell them a day and time that you'll be coming to pick up your vehicle, and that you expect it to be out front and ready for you to take away when you get there. Have jumper cables just in case you need them, then take it to the house to check over those previously mentioned 3 items.

#9 ·
I called them friday before they closed because they had not called with any info for a couple days they still have not figured out what was wrong said that what ever is drawing on the battery doesnt stay on long enough to pinpoint where the problem is at, the person I keep talking to is their service writer who continues to assure me this tech is one of the best in the U.S a bunch of BS . I will take your advice and tell him we are picking it up Monday morning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.