: 700+ Horsepower Engine Upgrades

CTS.R
01-28-10, 03:02 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to research what packages are available (and what is invloved with their installation), along with average pricing, to make the engine into a 700+ horsepower monster. Hopefully this can be a discussion about the various packages available, and their associated benefits/drawbacks. Also, what kind of real world performance increases will they yield.

Thank you,
Chris

Nine Ball
01-28-10, 04:09 PM
700 crank HP is about 600 rwhp. Several LSX engine specialty shops can achieve 600 rwhp with only a few modifications to the CTS-V.

-Ported factory cylinder heads
-Custom camshaft, valvesprings, pushrods
-Larger diameter crankshaft pulley
-Custom tuning
-Headers and catback system

Done.

Dr. Design
01-28-10, 04:43 PM
www.d3cadillac.com

You will find everything you need to build a reliable CTS-V monster with the quality you would expect from a Cadillac.

We can give you a tire shredding 600+WHP CTS-V with some of our bolt on products. We can go over all the pros & cons and make sure you are pointed in the right direction based on what you are looking for out of the car in the safest manner possible.

Give us a call and we can get you taken care of.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac
562-216-8919

Hi,

I'm trying to research what packages are available (and what is invloved with their installation), along with average pricing, to make the engine into a 700+ horsepower monster. Hopefully this can be a discussion about the various packages available, and their associated benefits/drawbacks. Also, what kind of real world performance increases will they yield.

Thank you,
Chris

cbloveday
01-28-10, 05:11 PM
This is the Hennessey package. W4ME and D3 have been doing this as well easily. Pretty basic stuff. The technology is there. It is just a matter of which shop you want to choose.

I'd wait for others who have already done this to chime in on specifics.! :)

Power:
700 hp @ 6,300 rpm
701 lb-ft torque @ 3,400 rpm

Performance:
0-60 mph: 3.1 sec. *
1/4 Mile: 10.9 @ 129 mph *
Top Speed: 211 mph (with 6-speed transmission)
* With optional 20 inch HRE wheel upgrade & 305/45-20 Nitto drag radial tires.

The V700 Package Includes:
4 inch Cold Air Induction System
Supercharger Pulley & Snout Upgrade
Engine Management Software Upgrade
Long Tube 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel Headers
3 inch Stainless Mid Pipes
High Flow Catalytic Converters
Intercooler Heat Exchanger System Upgrade
V700 Camshaft Upgrade
V700 High Flow Cylinder Heads
160 Degree Thermostat

csp3000
01-29-10, 01:24 PM
What about 700rwhp?

Dr. Design
01-29-10, 02:22 PM
Not on the stock bottom end. We wouldn't recommend having that much power without addressing the internals. Not to say it couldn't be done, it just wouldn't be the safest thing to do.

Our stage 3 upgrades can go into that territory.... But that starts with addressing the short block and working your way up from there.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What about 700rwhp?

Luna.
01-29-10, 02:43 PM
Manual or automatic?

It seems that manual trans cars often put down higher rwhp numbers than the auto trans car (owners of manual trans Vs have posted dyno runs on this forum from 460-470rwhp, with a few even posting over 500rwhp in stock form...yikes. Autos seem to be in the 440rwhp range).

It appears, however, that this does NOT necessarily translate into a faster car, but if the number is all you are interested in, it's something to consider.

Why on earth GM decided to "slow-down" the manual and attempt to make the 2 cars accelerate about the same is very strange, if not downright stupid. Build each of them to accelerate as fast as they can and go from there. :banghead:

musclesbmf
01-29-10, 02:55 PM
Why on earth GM decided to "slow-down" the manual and attempt to make the 2 cars accelerate about the same is very strange, if not downright stupid. Build each of them to accelerate as fast as they can and go from there. :banghead:

Not exactly sure what is meant here, but the difference is the gearing in the trans and rearend. Also, on upshifts, the auto shifts faster. That's why stock for stock the auto might be a click quicker. With a competent driver, it's a drivers race.

I will say I'm kicking myself now for not getting a manual. Was tired of shifting my Z06, but man I miss having the control.

JMO,
Mark

Luna.
01-29-10, 03:04 PM
but the difference is the gearing in the trans and rearend. Also, on upshifts, the auto shifts faster.

Exactly.

So why not gear the manual better?

And a competent driver will barely be slower, if at all, than an auto.

GMX322V S/C
01-29-10, 03:22 PM
If anything, the manual is probably geared optimally and it's the auto that trades lower top speed and gas mileage to keep up.

cbloveday
01-29-10, 04:02 PM
You guys jacked this thread. LOL

CTS.R
01-29-10, 04:11 PM
Not on the stock bottom end. We wouldn't recommend having that much power without addressing the internals. Not to say it couldn't be done, it just wouldn't be the safest thing to do.

Our stage 3 upgrades can go into that territory.... But that starts with addressing the short block and working your way up from there.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I saw the Vette Doctors made over 800 RWHP on the stock short block. Granted that was with nitrous, but they still made over 650 RWHP without. This was done with just the basic bolt-ons...

"The 821/846 dyno pull was with NOS. The car without NOS made 664HP/654TQ. The car has a head and cam package with a 10% overdrive crank pulley and a 2.55 blower pulley, headers, and a cold air intake."

I do completely agree with you that it could be done, it just wouldn't be the safest thing to do. Obviously anyone is going to be pushing a lot of their luck at 700 RWHP, let alone 800 RWHP, on a stock short block. I would think that 650-700 RWHP can easily be done, but how safe and reliable it would be depends on your definition of safe, how well the car was built and tuned, and how you drive the car.

Here is another question. Do you need cam/heads to get 600 RWHP, or can you get there with intake, headers, pullies and a good dyno tune?

Luna.
01-29-10, 04:25 PM
Here is another question. Do you need cam/heads to get 600 RWHP, or can you get there with intake, headers, pullies and a good dyno tune?

With a manual trans, you can get there (or really close) with a pulley, headers, Corsa, CAI, and tune. Cam and heads are not necessarily needed.

Then again, dynos and rwhp numbers are rather dubious. I think a better question might be how to add "X" horsepower to your car.

wait4me
01-29-10, 05:30 PM
We can set you up with anything you would ever need to get that amount of REAL rwhp.

We even build a shortblock 454 racing engine for $6900 fully assembled, That will hold 7000rpms and 1200 hp capacity.

We buy back the stock block for core, so it only costs $3500 difference..

Then after that, you have boost, and cam, heads, you can do ALOT for less than 10k installed here at our shop..

That or just spend 4K and we do the same hp you want with a stock block...

The possibilitys are endless...

Luna.
01-29-10, 08:08 PM
We can set you up with anything you would ever need to get that amount of REAL rwhp.

We even build a shortblock 454 racing engine for $6900 fully assembled, That will hold 7000rpms and 1200 hp capacity.

Then after that, you have boost, and cam, heads, you can do ALOT for less than 10k installed here at our shop..

So for only ~$3,500 net, I can have an ultra reliable motor and go crazy on rwhp?? :jawdrop: Now I really hate you... :D

Question---Do you see passing the CA sniffer as a significant challenge to get, say, 700rwhp?

phillytp
01-30-10, 12:45 PM
Very interesting how do I find out more about upgrading my CTS-V?

This is the Hennessey package. W4ME and D3 have been doing this as well easily. Pretty basic stuff. The technology is there. It is just a matter of which shop you want to choose.

I'd wait for others who have already done this to chime in on specifics.! :)

Power:
700 hp @ 6,300 rpm
701 lb-ft torque @ 3,400 rpm

Performance:
0-60 mph: 3.1 sec. *
1/4 Mile: 10.9 @ 129 mph *
Top Speed: 211 mph (with 6-speed transmission)
* With optional 20 inch HRE wheel upgrade & 305/45-20 Nitto drag radial tires.

The V700 Package Includes:
4 inch Cold Air Induction System
Supercharger Pulley & Snout Upgrade
Engine Management Software Upgrade
Long Tube 1 7/8 inch Stainless Steel Headers
3 inch Stainless Mid Pipes
High Flow Catalytic Converters
Intercooler Heat Exchanger System Upgrade
V700 Camshaft Upgrade
V700 High Flow Cylinder Heads
160 Degree Thermostat

phillytp
01-30-10, 12:59 PM
Is anyone aware of a vendor who makes aftermarket rims for the CTS-V. I am looking for a deep dish look/something with a lip or is this impossible due to the monster Brembo braking system?

Dr. Design
01-30-10, 03:46 PM
Correct, you would be on borrowed time at that HP level. We can make it very safe in the way we tune the vehicle. But you are talking about mechanical parts that need to be addressed at that level. If you address the short block the possibilities are endless. Of course our goal would be to give you all the power without losing the qualities and reliability of a Cadillac.

You do not need heads/cam to get the 600WHP. We have a package that will get you that number safe and reliable without compromise. Just understand that this package would have copious amounts of HP & TQ. To the point that wheel spin at 70mph is prevalent.

If you are in the area (Southern California) we have a few CTS-V's on the lifts and in the shop that you can come check out. Or if you are out of state, we have a bunch of very satisfied customers with stage 2 and stage 2.5's across the US that would be happy to show you what 600WHP feels like.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

I do completely agree with you that it could be done, it just wouldn't be the safest thing to do. Obviously anyone is going to be pushing a lot of their luck at 700 RWHP, let alone 800 RWHP, on a stock short block. I would think that 650-700 RWHP can easily be done, but how safe and reliable it would be depends on your definition of safe, how well the car was built and tuned, and how you drive the car.

CTS.R
02-01-10, 05:46 PM
Correct, you would be on borrowed time at that HP level. We can make it very safe in the way we tune the vehicle. But you are talking about mechanical parts that need to be addressed at that level. If you address the short block the possibilities are endless. Of course our goal would be to give you all the power without losing the qualities and reliability of a Cadillac.

You do not need heads/cam to get the 600WHP. We have a package that will get you that number safe and reliable without compromise. Just understand that this package would have copious amounts of HP & TQ. To the point that wheel spin at 70mph is prevalent.

If you are in the area (Southern California) we have a few CTS-V's on the lifts and in the shop that you can come check out. Or if you are out of state, we have a bunch of very satisfied customers with stage 2 and stage 2.5's across the US that would be happy to show you what 600WHP feels like.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What's the price of your 600 RWHP package, both in component form and for full installation? I understand that if I were to self-install a component package, it may require specific dyno tuning at a local shop if the tune is not downloadable. Actually, I would really only want a true dyno/street tune, definetely not a fan of hand held programmer tunes when you get into serious upgrading. Im in PA, so although I'm sure I would enjoy seeing your shop, stopping by your facility is not feasible.

John Hennessey
02-01-10, 09:35 PM
http://www.hennesseyperformancestore.com/lib/yhst-54734705425182/Hennessey-CTSV.pdf

John Hennessey
email: john@hennesseyperformance.com
Tel: 979-885-1300

Dr. Design
02-03-10, 09:44 PM
Hello,
Sorry for the delay, up to our ears in V's...The breakdown would be as follows:
Stage 1 = $2549.00 (Cost to Install = $250)
Stage 2 = $4595.00 (Cost to Install = $1,900)
We can also send you a base stage 2 file to your local dyno operator. From there they can dial your vehicle in the way you want it based on your local conditions and grades of fuel.

Please let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

What's the price of your 600 RWHP package, both in component form and for full installation? I understand that if I were to self-install a component package, it may require specific dyno tuning at a local shop if the tune is not downloadable. Actually, I would really only want a true dyno/street tune, definetely not a fan of hand held programmer tunes when you get into serious upgrading. Im in PA, so although I'm sure I would enjoy seeing your shop, stopping by your facility is not feasible.

Cowan480
02-04-10, 12:55 AM
Stage 1 = $2549.00 = what RWHP?
Stage 2 = $4595.00 = What RWHP?

Gotham CTS-V
02-04-10, 09:06 AM

In the future, when I have a lot more time to go out of state and have my car in the shop for a project, I will definitely contact you. :sneaky:

IPS Brandon
02-04-10, 09:56 AM

What block are you using to achieve a 454? LSX?

What components (callies, diamond, ect?) are you using to rate the motor at 1200 hp?What heads are you including or are you just swapping over the stock LSA's? Those are some awful large claims, at that pricing in my opinion.

We offer CNC ported cylinder heads now, for around 900 dollars for the pair, with all valve work, hand blending decking and assembly. Along with our cylinder heads you can combine a camshaft of your choice, we have several different ones to choose from, the most common right now being our stealth cam, for its great power benefit, with out lose of driveability and idle lope.

Combing those heads and that cam with our 9.55" crank dampner and balancer package, our Cold Air intake (which is going to be released to the public in the next two weeks) and you will be well over 600 wheel :). Add some long tubes, and our CNC throttle body, and blower inlet, and you will come in at the high 600 wheel horsepower range all day. We do not recommend going any higher on the stock LSA long block.

Good luck
Regards
-Brandon
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net

IPS Brandon
02-04-10, 09:57 AM
Is anyone aware of a vendor who makes aftermarket rims for the CTS-V. I am looking for a deep dish look/something with a lip or is this impossible due to the monster Brembo braking system?

HRE , CCW, I-forged all company's we distribute, will make you a very high quality forged aluminum wheel for your V.

-Regards
Brandon

CTS.R
02-12-10, 05:04 PM

Interested to know too.

cbloveday
02-12-10, 05:23 PM
Nobody can beat Jesse's prices.

Dr. Design
02-12-10, 11:49 PM
Stage 1 = up to 535 RWHP
Stage 2 = up to 600 RWHP

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

IPS Brandon
02-17-10, 10:03 AM
Nobody can beat Jesse's prices.

I am certain we can. What are we talking about beating? Blower pulley package, Kooks, Intakes, ect?

Price is not always everything as well.

jzchen
02-17-10, 03:36 PM
Stage 1 = up to 535 RWHP
Stage 2 = up to 600 RWHP

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

Do any of your upgrades pass smog here in CA, ie. do they have a CARB EO#? Any kind of warranty? I know Hennessey has 1yr.

Other vendors please feel free to chime in on CA smog and warranty.

TIA

cbloveday
02-17-10, 04:10 PM
I am certain we can. What are we talking about beating? Blower pulley package, Kooks, Intakes, ect?

Price is not always everything as well.

Brandon,

Do you want to get specific?

For the sake of arguement, all expertise being equal,
Give me a quote for Labor and Parts for the following:

Heads
Cam
Upgraded injectors
Heat Exchanger
comp 918 springs
8.5 pulley
AR Headers
160 stat
Full CAI
Ported hrottle Body
Full exhaust 3" in mandrel bent (not cats) connected to OEM mufflers.
Tuned on dyno

whole process took 1.5 days

I'd be surprised if you can beat what I paid Jes.

gnxs
02-17-10, 05:57 PM
I'd be surprised if you can beat what I paid Jes.
:werd::yeah:

Add in the fact that he's pretty local to us and it's icing on the cake. :thumbsup: