: Rear hatch problems

krieghoff
01-27-10, 10:33 PM
I had a problem with my rear hatch on my 08 ESV.

For some reason it would not open. The button on the hatch handle would not work and neither would the key fob.

Then for some reason it started working!:banghead:

Has anyone ever had this problem?

TSS
01-28-10, 09:16 AM
Just make sure you did not accidentally hit the lockout position on the interior hatch release toggle button(located near the power sunroof toggle/buttons). I did that once...... If that is in the locked position, neither fob nor handle will work.

Zhariak
01-28-10, 12:35 PM
Just make sure you did not accidentally hit the lockout position on the interior hatch release toggle button(located near the power sunroof toggle/buttons). I did that once...... If that is in the locked position, neither fob nor handle will work.

Actually further on to what TSS said... I noticed that the only button in my vehicle that was sticky, or was toooo easy to switch (and acted weird) was that button. Sometimes if not focusing on it, after hitting the hatch open button it would rebound and lock it out...

But at the same time, using the FOB and/or the button on the handle in the back it should still click and open... That toggle lock button overhead in the front only turns off/on the automatic opening function.

CadX6
01-28-10, 01:25 PM
From the day I got my 2007 until the day I turned it in & got my 2009, my standard AWD Escalade did the same thing. With no degree of predictability, the rear hatch would not open with the switch on the rear handle, the front overhead console button, or the key fob. After a day or so with a few start/stop cycles, it would come back to life. Naturally whenever it was at the dealer it worked fine so they had no clue.
If you ever find out what ails yours, let us know. For me, it'll be post mortem, but it would be nice to know what caused so much grief for three years.

TSS
01-28-10, 02:38 PM
But at the same time, using the FOB and/or the button on the handle in the back it should still click and open... That toggle lock button overhead in the front only turns off/on the automatic opening function.

I stand corrected then. Boy, I believe you but I need to check that. Reason is that I seem to recall thinking it was broken because I could not open with the handle. Only alerted of the inside toggle position because I then tried the inside release. :confused: Then, again, I have been know to re-write history inadvertantly.

CadX6
01-28-10, 03:31 PM
The rocker switch on the overhead does two functions. Push it one way & it opens the power liftgate. Push it the other way & it disables the power feature - but you can unlatch & manually open the liftgate with either the switch on the rear handle or the key fob.

dsteinmann
01-28-10, 03:48 PM
Also maybe the rear glass is unlatched i think it will disable everything if its not shut properly

krieghoff
01-28-10, 04:47 PM
There is no manual on the rear hatch.

It is still a power thing. If the battery goes dead you can not open it.

I am pretty sure if you turn the interior switch off the key fob will not work.

krieghoff
01-28-10, 11:05 PM
From the day I got my 2007 until the day I turned it in & got my 2009, my standard AWD Escalade did the same thing. With no degree of predictability, the rear hatch would not open with the switch on the rear handle, the front overhead console button, or the key fob. After a day or so with a few start/stop cycles, it would come back to life. Naturally whenever it was at the dealer it worked fine so they had no clue.
If you ever find out what ails yours, let us know. For me, it'll be post mortem, but it would be nice to know what caused so much grief for three years.

You are not really cheering me up! I shoot sporting clays and use the setup shown below and have no idea how I would get my guns out if the hatch don't open!

http://suvcabinets.com/examples.htm

TSS
01-29-10, 09:51 AM
Also maybe the rear glass is unlatched i think it will disable everything if its not shut properly

Definitely correct on that ^^.

Also, curiosity got the best of me. I just went outside my office and checked my 2007. It is a hybrid of all the theories above. :yup:

Here it is: If the toggle is in the "locked" position, the key fob release will not work AT ALL. However, if you hit the handle release touch pad manually, the hatch will unlock, but will not automatically rise. You then need to manually lift it up. That is how the 07 is, assume 07+ is the same.

I am thinking now that the whole reason for locking the toggle is for when you are in a situation where the auto lift can cause damage, you push the toggle lock. (ie. very low garage; parked too close in the rear to a wall or other object that opening the hatch might hit). You hit the toggle lock to ensure the auto lift cannot occur.

CadX6
01-29-10, 12:02 PM
Nice thought about the rear glass, but like TSS I had to see for myself. Unfortunately the rear liftgate opens either power or manual with the glass unlatched (got to remember that when I'm in the garage getting something out with just the glass open). No such luck the answer should be that simple.
TSS & Krieghoff are also right about the key fob not working if the "master" switch is off - I stand corrected.
On my 07 I had to keep the console switch off almost all the time since, as mentioned, if I opened it with the power feature, it would hit the roof of the garage. I could stop it manually but it made such a god-awful noise I was afraid of doing damage. My 09 stops manually mid travel with very little effort so I'm a little more comfortable doing it that way.
The new SRX & even the lowly GMC Terrain have "programmable height" power liftgates. Sure would be nice if GM would give us little things like that (& a few others) on our so called "high end" vehicles.

Zhariak
01-29-10, 10:23 PM
There is no manual on the rear hatch.

It is still a power thing. If the battery goes dead you can not open it.

I am pretty sure if you turn the interior switch off the key fob will not work.

Yes there is... If you turn off the power function using the toggle switch overhear, the rear hatch is manual open/close... You still need to use the button on the rear hatch itself to unlock, then pull it open.

Sometimes in the cold (-45 Celsius) the power function gets stuck from snow, so I leave it on manual and open it manually.

krieghoff
01-30-10, 08:53 AM
No you can't. If you read your manual it will tell you that if the battery is dead the hatch cannot be opened.

Without power it will not open!

kevbud
03-03-14, 01:31 PM
The same 25amp fuse controls the rear window wiper & lift-glass release. It keeps blowing. I just replace it and they are working for now but, I noticed the front intermittant wiper modes do not work (even after I put in the new above mentioned fuse).

I suspect a short somewhere. Anyone have any idea's?

ragon10
08-17-14, 04:19 PM
My 2010 CTS lift gate opens fully shuts 1/8 of the way opens fully then shuts completly. Wont stay open. Weak strut?
Ragon10
__________________________________________________ ______________

Good afternoon, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to
show correct information and time zone. Thanks, CF Staff.

MrHolland
08-17-14, 09:26 PM
Wrong section, please post in the CTS section.