: What can I do to make some money here for better hosting?

BeelzeBob
07-17-03, 11:47 AM
Okay. Take a look at my busiest site's forums: www.80sxchange.com/forums (http://www.80sxchange.com/forums)

Wow. Big difference. Right? Fast. Speedy as all hell. But costly.. Is there anything I can do here to make some money to pay for better hosting? This place is as slow as a broken snail with a disease. The economy blows and I'm not making any money - so I just can't find the extra money myself. I understand that all of you are in the same boat.

However. I think if we put our heads together - we can think of a way to make a few bucks here and there to get a better host. Because really.. This is terrible...

ultravorx
07-17-03, 12:11 PM
Well, when i had my chevy avalanche, i was on a site called www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com The way they earned funds was having regular members and supporting members. The regular members would have normal privalages, while supporting got more PM space, access to members only stuff, etc. Maybe this would work for this site. But there would have to be a "board" of people, because there are issues at that site where the owner collected all the money for supporting members, national meets, and raffles, now he is not refunding the money, its just a mess. but heres my 2 cents!
Frank

Brett
07-17-03, 12:17 PM
I understand that all of you are in the same boat..

Actually, its just the Fleetwood owners that are in boats :)

Seriously though, my question to you is. How do you make enough money on the other board to pay for the faster host? Can any of those same ideas be applied here?

the Sandman
07-17-03, 12:26 PM
I also think that there could be a fee charged for "supporting" members which would bring additional privileges, such as those mentioned above (additional PM space, a member's only section) as well as added picture storage (when the photo gallery is back online), larger avatars, and possibly cadillacforums.com email addresses. Might could even give out autographed pictures of the Administrator and Moderators. :D

BUILDINGCTSAMG
07-17-03, 12:44 PM
Um on my computer this loaded way faster then the 80s exchange, dont htink it makes that big of a difference in the long run.

But hey i sent in my 10 bucks and tried to support the site from the beginning, if evryone does that (half the cost of filling up a tank of gas) then the hours of enjoyment we get on this forum can continue

MMNineInchNails
07-17-03, 12:47 PM
I wish it would only cost me $20 to fill up my tank.

bs4sho
07-17-03, 12:48 PM
Damn you sent in $10? :shocked2:

BeelzeBob
07-17-03, 01:03 PM
At 80sxchange.com, I just pay out of my own pocket. The ads help a bit, though. There ARE a lot of ads there. And it does help. If you click on the "Donate" button up top, you'll see what a couple of you have already mentioned.. That's up and running but I didn't advertise it...

DeVillish
07-17-03, 01:19 PM
what ever happened to the license plate frames? are you still making/selling those? Last time i heard about that it was a long time ago and we have ALOT more members now. Maybe you could have it so if you buy a frame you also get more PM space and all that stuff too.

BeelzeBob
07-17-03, 01:26 PM
I should definitely get those in there somehow. But, they cost a lot. I mean - not a lot - but then there's double shipping. To me - and to you.. Kinda not very cost-effective.. But I love those frames because it helps spread the word...

HotRodSaint
07-17-03, 01:45 PM
Actually, its just the Fleetwood owners that are in boats :)

That would be YACHTS. Boats are too small for us Fleetwood owners.

Elvis
07-17-03, 02:23 PM
We could have a bake sale. ;)

elwesso
07-17-03, 03:23 PM
:histeric:

Go over to NICO..... They have a section on how to advertise.... I think they do a very good job on advertising.... They have found many parts people and tuners to advertise on there...... Maybe we could find some parts companies that sell cadillac OEM/performance parts and have them advertise here.......

If we wanted a means of spreading the word, we could make little stickers that we could put on the windows of our cars..... Maybe ones that are 2x4"..... They made those on NICO too, and they would be cheap to make, and easy to ship, etc......

Probably good for at least 10-15hp......

AKPsiMC03
07-17-03, 03:35 PM
what ever happened to the license plate frames? are you still making/selling those?

Do I still have the only one? :cheers:

Elvis
07-17-03, 04:45 PM
Seriously, I think you should consider selling advertising. Most boards do this with a banner that runs at the top and bottom of each page. It changes every few minutes so that you can have multiple sponsors. Take a look at these boards, for example...

http://www.honda-tech.com/
http://www.preludeonline.com/
http://www.honda-acura.net/

Andrew60SP
07-17-03, 07:55 PM
More stuff to spread the word and make money!

http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/

BeelzeBob
07-17-03, 09:11 PM
I certainly am considering selling advertising.. See that little "advertise" button up top? Click that..

Otherwise.. I don't know what it is - but - the system is flying from where I am right now.. I wish it would always be like this...

elwesso
07-17-03, 11:12 PM
I havent really had too many problems with its speed..... although i have cable internet!

MMNineInchNails
07-18-03, 12:47 AM
It's probably slow from when there are too many people on the website. Takes up the bandwidth and makes everything slower.

bs4sho
07-18-03, 02:04 AM
its ok to me its not to slow and not to fast...ive been to other boards where its been slow as hell that i just left

BeelzeBob
07-19-03, 09:04 AM
This place is going to get very busy. 80sxchange.com grew quickly but this place is growing about 5 times as fast. We already have some slow times when there are a bunch of people on at once. At some point or another, we're going to have hundreds of people on at the same time..

It DOES seem to be holding up pretty well at the moment. I've seen some really slow times but I guess that was just temporary.. I have www.deerparkavenue.com (http://www.deerparkavenue.com) hosted elsewhere and it's really, really slow. I thought it was the same here but I think we're a little bit ahead...

the Sandman
07-19-03, 09:21 AM
This place is going to get very busy. 80sxchange.com grew quickly but this place is growing about 5 times as fast. We already have some slow times when there are a bunch of people on at once. At some point or another, we're going to have hundreds of people on at the same time..

It DOES seem to be holding up pretty well at the moment. I've seen some really slow times but I guess that was just temporary.. I have www.deerparkavenue.com (http://www.deerparkavenue.com) hosted elsewhere and it's really, really slow. I thought it was the same here but I think we're a little bit ahead...There's been a *lot* of activity by the search engine spiders lately - indexing this site. Could they be slowing down the server periodically? If so, it'll probably be worth it since they should be done sooner or later and we should see even more activity here due to more people getting hits for this site when doing Google searches.

Devil_concours
07-19-03, 09:43 AM
talk to the guy that owns zmoz.com
I think he has good prices on fast hosting.