: Jake stud kit installation

bigds01
01-25-10, 12:49 PM
We were installing the stud kit this weekend, and stopped after drilling out half the block. Did you guys use a different jig to get them spot on straight? Also the jig/bit is worn after one side. How did other people work that?

ejguillot
01-26-10, 05:09 PM
I used Jake's jig kit to do all the drilling/tapping on my Northstar block. Here's what I found:

1) Double check that the jig is perfectly centered around the existing hole, torque down the bolts holding the jig to the block, and double check again.

2) Make sure that the drill is perfectly perpendicular to the block. The way that worked for me: After a few holes drilled the bit will be a bit loose in the jig, there will be a gap. Make sure that while you're drilling, the gap is even all the way around.

My jig and bit wore evenly, I'm not sure if you should use yours for the other side without checking it for straightness first. And be VERY liberal in the spraying of WD-40 to keep the cutting surface lubricated:

Also: run a 5/8" x 11 nut over the big part of the studs, if you have any resistance buy a matching die and run the studs through it a couple of times. That's what I had to do with my stud kit.