: Stolen Catera ends up Totaled

CateraMV6
01-24-10, 10:55 PM
Well an idiot steals one of the few precious Sports left around and then manages to smash it.

SAD I know! :helpless:

http://i870.photobucket.com/albums/ab263/MV6Catera/1-18_COQUILLE_CRASH_WEB1.jpg

COQUILLE, Ore. -- Oregon State Police troopers arrested a Coos Bay man Monday afternoon after eluding and crashing in a stolen car on Highway 42 near the Coos/Douglas county line.

At about 4:20 p.m., State Police notified troopers of a stolen silver Cadillac Catera out of North Bend that was last seen in the Myrtle Point area. They received a second report that the stolen car was eastbound on Highway 42 in the Camas Valley area, and the driver was possibly a drunk male with a history of assaulting police officers.

Troopers stopped the driver at Brockway truck scales. The operator refused to comply with the troopers' instructions and pulled back onto the roadway, made a u-turn and headed westbound.

Officers followed the Cadillac at speeds between 60 and 80 mph westbound on Highway 42. The driver periodically would come to a stop in the highway and then again speed off with the officers following.

After following the Cadillac for about 38 miles, the driver lost control while negotiating a slight left curve. The car traveled off the highway, struck a rock wall embankment and went airborne before rolling and coming to a stop.

The driver, 49-year-old Daniel William Duran, from Coos Bay, was arrested at 5:15 p.m. and examined at the scene by medical responders. Duran was cleared from further medical treatment and transported to the Douglas County Jail. He was lodged on the following charges:

* Felony Attempt to Elude in a Vehicle
* Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle
* DUII
* Reckless Driving
* Recklessly Endangering Another Person

CateraMV6
01-24-10, 10:58 PM
Here is another one where the guy burned it for insurance money.

A former deputy with the Lehigh County Sheriff’s Department pleaded guilty in court to burning his car in 2006 to collect money from his insurer.
Antonio Jimenez, 30, of Allentown, Pa., a part-time deputy with the law enforcement agency, admitted to the charge of insurance fraud in court Jan. 20, according to the Allentown Morning Call. The charge, a felony, carries a maximum sentence of seven years in prison.
Police say that Jimenez burned his 2001 Cadillac Catera in Whitehall Township four years ago, allegedly with the help of Angel Perez, 23, also of Allentown, Pa. Perez is scheduled to appear in court next month to face charges including arson, insurance fraud, and recklessly endangering another person, according to the report.
At the scene of the fire, investigators found containers of lighter fluid and kerosene near the car, leading to the determination of arson. Police say that Jimenez falsely reported the car as stolen to his insurer and to law enforcement, and that he and Perez burned the car in the hopes that Jimenez’s insurance company would pay off his car loan.
Jimenez was a deputy sheriff in Lehigh County for nearly a year, but was fired following his arrest in August 2007 following a grand jury indictment, according to the report.

AHazzardToAll
01-25-10, 01:00 AM
:sadeyes:

Me > :kick: < Them

CateraMV6
01-25-10, 03:38 AM
I realize that in 2001 only 1000 Cats were sold and out of them the silver ones were 369, to be exact... so now there is one less for the true fans to find and buy....

Bummer!

I am planning to purchase a second one, probably silver or white, maybe even black in the following months.

AHazzardToAll
01-25-10, 02:24 PM
Agreed, i'm hoping another 99 sport will come across my path. I'd like silver but i'm not too picky. :bigroll:

ondale
01-25-10, 10:33 PM
Where did you find those numbers. All I could find was
http://archives.media.gm.com/division/cadillac/products/01cadillac/catera/index.html

And that doesn't break down by Sport and Non-Sport models

CateraMV6
01-25-10, 10:37 PM
I used to have a spreadsheet with all the numbers sports and non sports...

From memory it was a number just over 1000 for the 2001 sports... and the silvers were 369...
In 2002, there were 232 I believe sold...

Will try to find it

CateraMV6
01-25-10, 10:50 PM
1996 1,676
1997 25,411
1998 25,333
1999 15,068
2000 17,290
2001 9,764
2002 237

Total 94,779

Matera97
01-26-10, 03:27 PM
Hit a rock wall, and still didn't shatter the glass. These cars are tanks.

ondale
01-26-10, 04:57 PM
Those numbers are dismal. Do you think GM only imported 10,000+ Cateras in 2001. Those are sales numbers, curious how many they imported that never got sold/titled. I feel a little honored that I have one of the few 2001 Catera Sport in Silver, that are still around.

CateraMV6
01-26-10, 06:00 PM
Well the 2001 Sports are only around 1000 all together with roughly equal amounts in black silver and white.