: Steering shaft to rack coupler help?

malibuandryan
01-24-10, 03:26 AM
The only thing preventing me from dropping the cradle is the steering shaft to rack coupler....What do i do?? What am looking for?? I cant drop the cradle until I disconnect the steering....Should I be looking under the dash where the rubber boot is near the firewall?...Thanks again

1997 Cadillac Deville Concours

Submariner409
01-24-10, 10:44 AM
The Intermediate Steering Shaft has 2 clamp bolts, one in each of those rubber boots, top and bottom. They need to come off by sliding the boot up/down to loosen the bolts.

When you put it all back together use a fair amount of grease and work it into the slide joint: those shafts have a habit of drying out and "creaking" during slow speed turns and stops.

GM marketed a lubricant kit for the old shaft for a while, and now there's an improved shaft, dealer only, about $155.

cl1986
01-24-10, 12:31 PM
maybe the deville is different, if so disregard, but theres one bolt holding the shaft to the rack 11mm, its under the boot just pry up on it and it lifts. If the wheel is straight that bolt should be staring at you from the drivers wheel area.

Submariner409
01-24-10, 01:08 PM
A Deville is not different - I want him to check the ISS while everything is apart: much easier than later on.......

One bolt for the rack clamp, one for the steering column clamp.

malibuandryan
01-24-10, 03:06 PM
Thank you for all the help and quick responses!!!! So just to make shure, I am going inside the deville and under the dash theres the rubber boot...I then will have to slide the boot up to undo bottom bolt, then slide the boot down to undo upper bolt.....and then once thats all done I can drop the cradle??........Thanks again!!! Ryan

1997 Cadillac Deville Concours

cl1986
01-24-10, 11:31 PM
Sorry, can you explain that? Do you feel there is a problem with his ISS?

the list of dropping the cradle just says to remove the 11mm bolt which is on the engine side, again with the wheel straight should point out the wheel well opeing, and the boot simply just lifts up to expose it.

Submariner409
01-25-10, 10:32 AM
Having replaced the ISS on my car in '06 and two others in the 1999 - 2002 series, as long as he has the cradle down, this falls under "do it now rather than later" because now it's easy.................

Sort of the same reason you paint the engine compartment while the drivetrain is out on a pallet rather than up in the car.............

cl1986
01-25-10, 11:16 AM
dont you think you should tell him that, that you are recommending checking the ISS??

That helps him in no way to drop the cradle though......

tateos
01-25-10, 12:20 PM
Pull that lower bolt out completely