: D3 Performance Upgrades Completed

Uriel
01-23-10, 04:40 PM
D3 Cadillac of Signal Hill CA, has just completed installing the Bolt-On modifications to my 2009 CTS-V. Build Date: Sept. 2008, purchased April 2009. Odometer is now reading 26,547 miles, mostly freeway mileage. Car is painted Diamond White, paint finish is near perfect with only one small stone chip at the front of the hood. No squeaks, rattles, creaks or unusual sounds anywhere. Build quality is as good as my 2005 Acura RL (which is probably as good or better than anything else on the road). OEM tires were replaced by D3 with the Hankook Ventrus V2 Evo K110 is stock sizes front and rear. The new tires are a bit quieter and smoother running than the original set.
Bolt-ons include the following:
1. Crank Pulley Harmonic Balancer - 9" pulley.
2. D3 cold Air Induction - very nice looking and effective.
3. Kooks Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats and x-pipe connected to the stock mufflers. I like the sound of the stock mufflers better than anything I have listened to. Sounds great with the headers. Has a deep resonant sound with a hint of lifter clatter. A new aftermarket performance muffler would add 20 or more HP but I don't want the way loud noise. I installed Dynamat in the rear of my car and it killed the exhaust drone of the stock mufflers significantly.
4. MSD MSC coil packs and new red spark plug wires - mostly for under hood eye candy.
5. D3 Torque Master Spark Plugs.
6. Blower Snout Upgrade. Probably the singularly most important upgrade of all. Throttle response is definitely improved. There is no lag or lugging of the engine when the pedal is depressed. The engine responds immediately at any speed. The transmission also responds as you should expect. In my opinion this is the cure for the complaint that many have had about our cars throttle and transmission response. I am very happy with this upgrade. No more supercharger rattle as that little thing was replace with a solid isolator. Engine runs much more smoothly now.
7. D3 intercooler and Reservoir Upgrade.
8. Steel Braided Brake Lines - for better braking feel
9. HID Fog Lamps - for looks
10. The Engine was Dyno Tuned using a Dynapack Chassis Dynamometer. Results are: 596 RWHP and 628.7 lbft RWTQ. My V2 is a real torque monster, and it can definitely be felt SOTP. I am sure more HP and Torque was available but the tune probably is setup to provide engine durability. My V2 is so smooth that it is dangerous.
And also, installed previously, A Radar/Laser/Red Light Intersection detector.
Price for all this was as expected. Contact James Gill of D3 Cadillac for more detailed information. I highly recommend this Shop for any of your performance upgrade requirements.
When I am out on the open road now, I think I'll be like an F-22 Pilot on Combat Air Patrol looking for Bogies to Kill - any challengers out there?
I plan on later this year, to install Ported Heads, a mild Performance Cam, Lifters and Push Rods.
Or maybe I'll - "leave well enough alone".

CodyLX450
01-23-10, 04:51 PM
Are you sure thats wheel horsepower and not crank horsepower?

demorgan59
01-23-10, 05:20 PM
We would all love to here a video of that exhaust set up.

whisler151
01-23-10, 06:20 PM
Are you sure thats wheel horsepower and not crank horsepower?

He's running both blower pulley and crank pulley with full intake and exhaust and all supporting mods. 600rwhp is right were he should be. I'm guessing he is an auto car. A manual V would be a bit higher.

Uriel
01-23-10, 06:55 PM
Yes my car has an automatic transmission. I talked with a technician at the shop that did the dyno. Tech sez - rear wheels are removed and the hubs are attached to the dyno machine. Power is read at the rear hubs.

Gary Wells
01-23-10, 07:09 PM
He's running both blower pulley and crank pulley with full intake and exhaust and all supporting mods. 600rwhp is right were he should be. I'm guessing he is an auto car. A manual V would be a bit higher.

I had the pleasure of meeting user name Uriel last week and over breakfast and had the opportunity of seeing this beautiful car in person. What a great car, and yes, that is RWHP & RWTQ as measured on a DynaPack dynamometer. I also checked out the dyno sheet. This was before he had the last bit or work done on it. I don't think that he is running a modified / upgraded upper pulley. I believe that the upper is stock. It is an automatic. And the motor looks so nice with the covers off showing the MSD red coil packs & red MSD spark plug wires. And to me, the headers sound almost stock with the stock muffs and does not pick up any noticeable exhaust increase until the RPM pick up.
Congratulations on the car semi-completion, Uriel, and drop me a PM or give me a call the next time that you are in the area.

whisler151
01-23-10, 07:24 PM
Yes my car has an automatic transmission. I talked with a technician at the shop that did the dyno. Tech sez - rear wheels are removed and the hubs are attached to the dyno machine. Power is read at the rear hubs.

Amazing car...pics would be awesome.

Karch
01-23-10, 08:02 PM
Even though I don't have a V (yet), I'm going to make it a point to stop by D3, as I have a few customers in the area.
My fear is that it will cause more pain than anything else as I won't be getting one for a few months, but it's nice to see well thought out and executed mods.

GMX322V S/C
01-23-10, 08:04 PM
I was admiring your car as I was dropping off mine Uriel. They were just buttoning it up--nicely done! The coil packs do look trick and your functional mods will make for a beast with staying power! The White Diamond is very classy looking--first I had seen in meat space.

Gary Wells
01-23-10, 08:20 PM
Even though I don't have a V (yet), I'm going to make it a point to stop by D3, as I have a few customers in the area.
My fear is that it will cause more pain than anything else as I won't be getting one for a few months, but it's nice to see well thought out and executed mods.

2 things come to mind about your statement, Karch. (1) There is no gain without some pain, and (2) what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.

demorgan59
01-23-10, 08:54 PM
How about HEAR? Jeez.

liqidvenom
01-23-10, 09:57 PM
nice power gains.

c4ss
01-24-10, 01:33 AM
Nice gains man. I want to hear it with the headers on. Got a video camera handy? :sneaky:

Ross Racing
01-24-10, 12:25 PM
Congrats on the mods and good service. Reading your story makes me want to do the pulley/snout upgrade sooner than later.

Uriel
01-24-10, 12:41 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the compliments and comments from all. I will post some photo's in the next day or so. I have a video camera at home (Northern Cali) and will provide some visual and audio in a couple of weeks when I Return home. As I have stated before, this is the car I have been waiting for. And GM has delivered all the style, comfort and performance that you would expect from a reasonably price luxury sedan. Remember this is a Cadillac. I remember when I was a kid a while back, that Cadillac WAS the "Standard of the World" as a luxury brand. Nobody wanted a BMW or a Mercedez . Everybody wanted to own or be seen in a Coupe Deville or an Eldorado Coupe. So my V2 will become a project car for the next decade or more. I intend to enhance the performance and interior styling where possible. Enjoy yours in any way you wish.

GM-4-LIFE
01-24-10, 02:52 PM
WOW! That is some serious power. Congrats! I am sure the mods and work weren't cheap, but D3 is the best! If I choose to do any mods to my 2010 V, I will be heading over to D3.

Is there anyway you can get Dynojet numbers? The industry standard and most accurate way to calculate crank horsepower vs. rear wheel is via a Dynojet. The Dynapak is cool, but I am always used to reading Dynojet numbers. Dynojet numbers may be lower, but being the power reading is via the tires and not the hubs like the Dynapak, you would get an accurate RWHP measurement.

We should setup a SoCal V2 meeting so we can all hang out and discuss our amazing vehicles.

SG

Uriel
01-24-10, 03:54 PM
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot to mention about my mods - that was supercharger boost pressure. Bone stock, the supercharger boost pressure was between 8 & 9 psig. The output now, when dyno tested, is up to 11.4 psig starting at about 3500 rpm and out flat to redline. And this is with only the new D3 9" diameter lower pulley installed. Certainly, more boost can be acheived with a 9.5" or 10" lower pulley but with just 26K miles on the odometer, I don't want to lower engine reliability for a relative small gain in HP. For more performance, lets say in the range of 650 HP, I think heads and a cam installation will be the way to go. More of that later.

Gary Wells
01-24-10, 04:16 PM
WOW! That is some serious power. Congrats! I am sure the mods and work weren't cheap, but D3 is the best! If I choose to do any mods to my 2010 V, I will be heading over to D3.

Is there anyway you can get Dynojet numbers? The industry standard and most accurate way to calculate crank horsepower vs. *rearwheel* is via a Dynojet. The Dynapak is cool, but I am always used to reading Dynojet numbers. Dynojet numbers may be lower, but being the power reading is via the tires and not the hubs like the Dynapak, you would get an accurate RWHP measurement.

We should setup a SoCal V2 meeting so we can all hang out and discuss our amazing vehicles.

SG

Not to be disagreeable, Shawn, but others might see your conclusions somewhat different. And there again, maybe it's only me that might see things different.

If the Dynojet is considered to be an industry standard, it would most likely be because the Dynojet was one of the 1st commercial dynamometers available to high performance shops and has been out the longest of any of the more common dynos. Consequently, there are probably quite a few more Dynojets than Dynapacks.

The Dynapack dyno should be more accurate overall as it does not have to deal with the *rearwheels* and / or tires for conversions to crank (base) HP & crank (base) TQ, but when using the Dyno #'s for conversion into racing times & formulas, it would seem to me that the Dynojet would be the best as it takes it's readings with the *wheels* & tires intact, thereby using more real world #'s when comparing to track usage, which also requires wheels & tires.

And Dynapack & Dynojet #'s don't always disagree either, as sometimes they are right in line with one another. User name Luna has had interesting results in this area.

Even Church's statement & analysis on their web-site of why the two disagree advises that some of the difference is in the calculations and not all in the difference between having tires mounted or not.
Personally, I find it hard to believe that the amount of difference between the 2 is the only the difference of having *wheels* & tires mounted & taking readings from them.

Sorry to disagree and I hope that this does not cause anybody any stress.
I also would like to get together or be involved in a local SoCal meeting of the V's, and have tried to do so at Donut Derelicts, but so far have been a failure.

And FWIW, I would also like to see Dynojet #'s on this beast for future reference.

Hope that you & family had great holidays, & sorry to Bogart this thread, but I feel that there might be other view-points available.

wfo
01-24-10, 05:31 PM
That's what I'm talking about. Now, how about some pics of that beast.

GMX322V S/C
01-24-10, 06:03 PM
The Dynapack dyno should be more accurate overall as it does not have to deal with the *rearwheels* and / or tires for conversions to crank (base) HP & crank (base) TQ, but when using the Dyno #'s for conversion into racing times & formulas, it would seem to me that the Dynojet would be the best as it takes it's readings with the *wheels* & tires intact, thereby using more real world #'s when comparing to track usage, which also requires wheels & tires.Since Dynapacks measure horsepower to the wheels (well, the hubs anyway) and roller type dynos like DynoJets measure horsepower to the ground through the tire contact patches, when all factors are considered, the outstanding variables would include tire and wheel mass, wheel-to-tire slippage, if any, and tire-to-roller slippage, if any (I'm not talking about comparing Dynapack numbers to Dynojet numbers, only comparing the measurement methods). Are high horsepower cars (anything that can smoke the tires) always strapped down to roller-type dynos to minimize tire-to-roller slippage?

Gary Wells
01-24-10, 06:39 PM
Since Dynapacks measure horsepower to the wheels (well, the hubs anyway) and roller type dynos like DynoJets measure horsepower to the ground through the tire contact patches, when all factors are considered, the outstanding variables would include tire and wheel mass, wheel-to-tire slippage, if any, and tire-to-roller slippage, if any (I'm not talking about comparing Dynapack numbers to Dynojet numbers, only comparing the measurement methods). Are high horsepower cars (anything that can smoke the tires) always strapped down to roller-type dynos to minimize tire-to-roller slippage?

Good to see your input, Mas. Yes, I believe that would all be true / correct, and yes, AFAIK, all high-HP & TQ cars are strapped down to the dyno.
And FWIW, there was a discussion going on over on LS1Tech a while back that had some interesting input regarding different methods of possible cheating on the dyno, and one of them was either increasing or decreasing the tire pressure from normal to increase / decrease the RWHP & RWTQ #'s.
I think that the most probable of the factors that you mentioned above would be tire to roller slippage, but just guessing.
I will hopefully be finding out first hand for myself as I am planning on having D3 do a very similar build-up on my car.
Good to hear from you. Hope all's well.

Somefun
05-02-10, 10:13 AM
D3 Cadillac of Signal Hill CA, has just completed installing the Bolt-On modifications to my 2009 CTS-V. Build Date: Sept. 2008, purchased April 2009. Odometer is now reading 26,547 miles, mostly freeway mileage. Car is painted Diamond White, paint finish is near perfect with only one small stone chip at the front of the hood. No squeaks, rattles, creaks or unusual sounds anywhere. Build quality is as good as my 2005 Acura RL (which is probably as good or better than anything else on the road). OEM tires were replaced by D3 with the Hankook Ventrus V2 Evo K110 is stock sizes front and rear. The new tires are a bit quieter and smoother running than the original set.
Bolt-ons include the following:
1. Crank Pulley Harmonic Balancer - 9" pulley.
2. D3 cold Air Induction - very nice looking and effective.
3. Kooks Long Tube Headers with High Flow Cats and x-pipe connected to the stock mufflers. I like the sound of the stock mufflers better than anything I have listened to. Sounds great with the headers. Has a deep resonant sound with a hint of lifter clatter. A new aftermarket performance muffler would add 20 or more HP but I don't want the way loud noise. I installed Dynamat in the rear of my car and it killed the exhaust drone of the stock mufflers significantly.
4. MSD MSC coil packs and new red spark plug wires - mostly for under hood eye candy.
5. D3 Torque Master Spark Plugs.
6. Blower Snout Upgrade. Probably the singularly most important upgrade of all. Throttle response is definitely improved. There is no lag or lugging of the engine when the pedal is depressed. The engine responds immediately at any speed. The transmission also responds as you should expect. In my opinion this is the cure for the complaint that many have had about our cars throttle and transmission response. I am very happy with this upgrade. No more supercharger rattle as that little thing was replace with a solid isolator. Engine runs much more smoothly now.
7. D3 intercooler and Reservoir Upgrade.
8. Steel Braided Brake Lines - for better braking feel
9. HID Fog Lamps - for looks
10. The Engine was Dyno Tuned using a Dynapack Chassis Dynamometer. Results are: 596 RWHP and 628.7 lbft RWTQ. My V2 is a real torque monster, and it can definitely be felt SOTP. I am sure more HP and Torque was available but the tune probably is setup to provide engine durability. My V2 is so smooth that it is dangerous.
And also, installed previously, A Radar/Laser/Red Light Intersection detector.
Price for all this was as expected. Contact James Gill of D3 Cadillac for more detailed information. I highly recommend this Shop for any of your performance upgrade requirements.
When I am out on the open road now, I think I'll be like an F-22 Pilot on Combat Air Patrol looking for Bogies to Kill - any challengers out there?
I plan on later this year, to install Ported Heads, a mild Performance Cam, Lifters and Push Rods.
Or maybe I'll - "leave well enough alone".

Where did you get the headers, cats and x pipe? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my car. I just didn't want it loud. I like the stock sound just looking to free things up a little.

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 01:32 PM
Yeah guys, my stock V dynoed at 491hp on a Dynapack. Since dyno numbers are all relative to the losses they see, you have to factor a Dynapack is gonna read higher than Dynojets and Mustangs. So I just take any gains I get on the Dynapack and add those to the stock ratings from the factory.

Uriel, did you do your mods in stages or all at once? Because I just did Kooks headers/stock muffs with a Lingenfelter intake tube and pulleys using a 10% overdrive and my throttle response is much better as well. And that's without a K&N filter...

Gary Wells
05-02-10, 02:48 PM
tbjs:
Jim:
I would sure like to have the following #'s from your dyno run:
RWHP: already posted
RWTQ: need
Auto or stick: need
correction factor used: need
State in which the dyno run was performed.
Date of dyno run: need
Just adding the RWHP & RWTQ improvement #'s to your pre-existing #'s from a Dyno-jet is probably not the most accurate. Theoretically, subtracting about 6% from the improved Dynapack # would probably be the most accurate.

OKC_CTSV
05-02-10, 06:00 PM
Since this was all done in January, Uriel i'm curious as to how everything is holding up with your V? Any issues? Any good races!? Thanks for the input.

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 07:41 PM
tbjs:
Jim:
I would sure like to have the following #'s from your dyno run:
RWHP: already posted
RWTQ: need
Auto or stick: need
correction factor used: need
State in which the dyno run was performed.
Date of dyno run: need
Just adding the RWHP & RWTQ improvement #'s to your pre-existing #'s from a Dyno-jet is probably not the most accurate. Theoretically, subtracting about 6% from the improved Dynapack # would probably be the most accurate.
It's only been dynoed on a Dynapack. I said adding gains on before and after work to the factory rated stock numbers. I already said there is a difference in drivetrain losses from a Dynapack to a Dynojet. What's the issue here?

Gary Wells
05-02-10, 08:17 PM
No issues jim. Don't be getting all excited. Could I have your torque #'s, date of dyno, state in which the dyno run took place, SAE or other correction factor for my charts, auto or manual?

thebigjimsho
05-02-10, 08:29 PM
No issues jim. Don't be getting all excited. Could I have your torque #'s, date of dyno, state in which the dyno run took place, SAE or other correction factor for my charts, auto or manual?
Sorry, Gary. I'll try to get them scanned today and posted...

Gary Wells
05-02-10, 08:29 PM
I am also building a chart for dynopack dynos for both autos & manuals so that we can further understand the differences between the dyno types.
Jim, you don't necessarily have to scan the charts unless you want to. I just would like the #'s & dates for thisCad bone stock RAHP & RATQ (Auto & Manl) (Dynopack):

rahp-----ratq-------corr ---------date----------state--------owner

493-------519-------xxx-------01-29-09-------cal-------d3 (craig)-------
498-------515-------xxx-------01-16-09-------cal-------garywells-------a6
493-------511-------sae-------04-28-10-------cal-------fleadh-------m6--------
491-------xxx-------xxx-------xxxxxxx--------xxx------thebigjimsho

Auto bone stock RAHP & RATQ (Dynapack) 4 samples:
RAHP Average: 1975 / 4 = 493.75 average
RATQ Average: xxxxx / 4 = xxx.xx average

Uriel
05-02-10, 09:39 PM
Where did you get the headers, cats and x pipe? I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my car. I just didn't want it loud. I like the stock sound just looking to free things up a little.

All items provided by D3. Exhaust note not loud at all, just a more robust sonic improvement over stock.

Uriel
05-02-10, 09:44 PM
Since this was all done in January, Uriel i'm curious as to how everything is holding up with your V? Any issues? Any good races!? Thanks for the input.

All D3 installed items have not presented any problem at all. No codes, just a normal operating condition, except more power that is very much felt. I prowl the freeway up here in northern Kali looking for an M5 to run against - but no takers. I guess they all know about the "V"

M5DriverNY
05-02-10, 10:43 PM
All D3 installed items have not presented any problem at all. No codes, just a normal operating condition, except more power that is very much felt. I prowl the freeway up here in northern Kali looking for an M5 to run against - but no takers. I guess they all know about the "V"

Did you by chance install the Sport Springs? Looks like you did a ton of D3 product if you did the springs please comment on the improvement they made.

I let my friend take my M5 before and race me in the V, the V killed it by a few car lengths. With your V modified not many cars can stand a chance not even a worked E55 AMG.

nradcad
05-02-10, 11:11 PM
this thread fails without vids or pics.... :)