: Coil Pack - P0300 Culprit

nobe707
01-21-10, 11:30 PM
As a newbie to the forum, I wanted to at least share my story with the hope that I can help someone as much as this forum has helped me. I had a dealer time sert & reseal job at 83K a few years back. Four months and 3k later I had a 6 inch crack in the block ONE DAY OUT OF WARRANTY (and one day before a trip to Hawaii). Long story short, the dealership (Oakland Cadillac) reluctantly installed a brand new motor under warranty (Whheeew)! I was convinced that the time sert job put stress on the block, causing the crack. I can understand a cracked block at 5-10K from a bad cast, but this was too much of a coincidence.

A few days ago she started running rough and I assume was in limp mode. I ran the codes (learned how from the forum) and found a current P0300 misfire on Cylinder #5 and a P1106 (MAP Sensor) history code. Started with new plugs (motor now has 40K) & boots, cleaned TB and MAF, no help. Swapped MAP with replacement, nada. Next step was to replace rear Coil Pack-fired right up! Despite 40 MPH winds and sideways rain, took her on HWY680 and WOT- she's running like a thouroughbread-YIPEEE! My reason for explaining the history was to give other newbies an idea of how fragile these motors can be. I was nervous as hell that I had blown another head gasket, which would be the nail in the coffin. Thanks to all who post & share their experiences, I would not have been able to diagnose & repair w/out this forum. By the way, purchased all parts OEM used from Cadillac Auto Recycling in Rancho Cordova, CA. All parts had 90 day warranty and they let me return the MAP sensor for credit on the coil pack.
Cheers-Noble

Submariner409
01-22-10, 11:18 AM
:highfive: Good words !! Very seldom do we see the silver lining around the cloud.

stoveguyy
01-22-10, 12:53 PM
2k eldo has COP or not?

Ranger
01-22-10, 12:59 PM
2000+ engines are COP ignition.