Cadillac Owners Forum banner

My rebuilt rear diff setup

6K views 41 replies 26 participants last post by  RADARB8 
#1 ·
Should hold up well.
Corvette C3 diff, went from 4:10 to 3:90

See less See more
#4 ·
What does something like that cost? Looks like a ton of custom fabbing. Can't wait to hear more results.

#5 ·
Wow, very nice man. I have a lot of questions as well. Any more info on the build, fabbing involved? Are you building it up for the strip, or just so you sleep better at night?

:food-snacking:

#6 · (Edited)
The rear was fabbed about 2 years ago by Doug (O5CTSV) in Ohio, it was one of two he made using a Corvette C3 diff modified for use with the IRS. The other car was sold because of noise and other problems. The rear end probably had 200 passes on it and I was breaking half shafts and shattering u joints on them like they were made out of glass. This not only got expensive but always limited the launch to about 2 grand( although I did have a 1.60 60' one time.... breaking a half shaft). Jim Unger Racing (a chassis shop) in Dayton OH did the rebuild, I took it there because all the welds on the supports were broken among the other problems. First thing he noticed was the negative pinion angle and the lack of sufficient support for the rear (I knew that because of the bowed support plate. He's done a great job and I now believe it's unbreakable and set up to perfection. The sub frame connectors and rear cradle are all tied in together to finally work together. I will be glad to finally do the 5000 RPM launches on the 2 step I've always wanted to do!!!

BTW it's still the fastest Maggie powered CTSV.... 11.85 and I expect to drop that quite a bit when I get back

#9 ·

#10 ·
That thing is the SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!

1) How much noise did it add? (Not that I'd care if I was able to stomp on it and forget it.....just curious)
2) Did it make the driveshaft any shorter?
3) Were you able to go to a one piece driveshaft?
4) Any vibes?
5) Round about cost? (not including broken ujoints/shafts)

#11 ·
:yeah:

This thread is full of win.

#14 ·
Absolutely stunning, a work of art. Seems like no expense was spared, hope you have no issues at the track, good luck.

#16 ·
These are the kinds of threads I love to read about and see!!!!!!! That is totally WICKED!!!!!!!!

#22 ·
that's fantastic. Stkshkr I thought the two rears that 05CTSV built were fantastic and perfect. I remember a thread a while back about himwanting to get his shop back up and running even.... I didn't realize you were shattering parts so bad... Care to clear the air?

I thought the general consensus was that 05CTSV's setup was fantastic, but your verbage makes me think otherwise... I wouldn't want others to read that the wrong way... like I think I just did.

Oh yeah.. more pics on that setup. I got a empty cradle and just enough experience to make sure my wheels fall off... on second thought maybe Voodoo should take a crack at it.

PS. sexy sexy those pics are... that's the kinda stuff that makes gearheads pants tight.

#26 ·
I would suggest switching over some of the mounting points on the diff. Like the rear two bolts of the diff (Mustache Mount) and the front. Looks like there is steel bracking and mounting bracketry bolted directly to the diff. I would configure poly urethane mount setup, the noise and the vibration (NVH) is coming from moving parts being stressed into remaining still and vibrating through the rear subframe that the whole assembly is welded to.

Its a good setup, if your just planning on tracking the car that is awesome. If it were me and I daily'd the car alot, I would redesign the mounting points and integrate poly urethane mounts.

#27 ·
An attempt at answers:
Dougs set up was the 1st effort at a fix for the rear, he did a good job but remember there was no design or engineering team, only DOUG. Some of the hardware and parts he used weren't up to the task but the concept was good.
I haven't driven the car as I'm in Korea so there won't be a report on NVH for quite awhile
It's a 2 piece driveshaft with u joints
There are no drawings/blueprints
Feel free to redesign the mounting points and integrate poly urethane mounts. This car is built with no care or thought to NVH.
Guys, there is now way to give you cost as there have been many mods (subframe connectors etc.) and a major rebuild, I guess somebody could duplicate it for around 10K or about the same cost as a straight axle and if I had to do it over that's the way I would have gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.