: Ready For Charlie ? Florida Check in .

Stoneage_Caddy
08-12-04, 12:17 AM
Looks like US florida west coasters are gonna have this guy over for dinner friday .....

Current track has it's eye passing my house by 20 miles (i live by the 275-75 split) but im so far inland that im not real concernd outside wind and the possible wind damage to the caddy.

Got my hurricane kit today , full tank of fuel ,meat,beer and ciggarettes ..Got the chainsaw running(couple houses down the street have trees) and the generator going again too ....

So what about our other folks ? I think some of you are in far greater danger than i so im wondering what yall are up to ....

illumina
08-12-04, 01:01 AM
Looks like US florida west coasters are gonna have this guy over for dinner friday .....

Current track has it's eye passing my house by 20 miles (i live by the 275-75 split) but im so far inland that im not real concernd outside wind and the possible wind damage to the caddy.

Got my hurricane kit today , full tank of fuel ,meat,beer and ciggarettes ..Got the chainsaw running(couple houses down the street have trees) and the generator going again too ....

So what about our other folks ? I think some of you are in far greater danger than i so im wondering what yall are up to ....

im not from the east coast or anything, but it sounds like you're ready to hunker down for a few days. just have some flash lights and radio's handy. and make sure the zippo is ready to cook the meat and light those smokes. also, put the caddy in a safe place and on hight land. lots of rain and cadillac= the thing that happened to my poor 87' seville. she was damaged due to a flood.

ShadowLvr400
08-12-04, 01:24 AM
It's a category 1. I barely turn off my computor for that crap. Call me when it's a category 3. Then I'll worry. Power outages, flooding, etc. That's possible. Bout it.

Vesicant
08-12-04, 01:26 AM
I personally think Jacksonville is going to barely even feel it... maybe some wind, rain...

Prep Kit : Flashlight , Our electricity in this neighborhood seems fairly weak during any storm.

Although a hurricane is a serious thing, we're all the way on the north east side of Florida. This one is small too.

FLSurf420
08-12-04, 01:34 AM
Good school starts the 16th and now we get to miss the beginning days. I mean... its not that i dont like school...

ShadowLvr400
08-12-04, 01:35 AM
I'm in central FL. We'll get Charley as it goes by. I'm gonna be at the movies probably. Not worried about a Cat 1 or 2. Been in FL for over 10 yrs. I was here for Andrew, went golfing that weekend actually. 60 mph winds makes driving difficult.. Was a unique game.

Ralph
08-12-04, 01:40 AM
What's a "hurricane?" (incert Devil smilie here)

Whz up with the smilies today??

Vesicant
08-12-04, 01:41 AM
*was confused between the two storms*

Moves right over everything... its "eye" goes right near us... although 60-70 even 80 shouldnt be that bad. Its just the debris and the flooding in this case that are the killers.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5653487/

illumina
08-12-04, 03:16 AM

:drinker :D :suspect: :hmm:

hehehe...

caddyshack24
08-12-04, 03:17 AM
The shoulda called these things bonny and clyde.. how cool woulda that been? except yeah, these are some minor winds. i'm gonna put on a parachute jacket and go ride my bicycle.. i clocked about 40mph back in the 90's lol hauling ass.. to bad i missed my turn.

charlie will hit me head on.. im ready for the blow job. (thta doesnt make me gay does it? lol)

stonage has a mans hurricane kit.. meat beer and cigs - lmao hell yeah, missing one thing though.. a uhaul truck and me.. so we can loot like a madman!!

i'll take some pictures of the puddles :) if i remember

majax
08-12-04, 04:25 AM
SAVE THE CADILLACS MAN!!!!!!! FORGET ABOUT YOUR HOUSE, FAMILY, FRIENDS! (winking)

god bless ya'll and good luck yeah please post some pics if you can later. Dont drown in those puddles caddyshack.

caddyshack, I thought the gay thing was our little secret(shh)

caddyshack24
08-12-04, 05:25 AM
yeah, ill definatly snap some photos if i dont drown.. the roads flooded over this way a week or so ago and i was playing in it.. this should be blast. reminds me of the time i used an F-150 as a boat and a boggie board as skis.

heyya majax, saying what you said implies that you were/are my homosexual lover. so which one of us is the reciever? lol i beat ya to it.. muahahah

Your right though.. save the Cadillacs was my first thought.. then followed "what will my insurance cover".

T_Dogg8
08-12-04, 09:51 AM

kind of like a blizzard, but it's done quicker and you're back on the golf course and beach sooner :)

Msilva954
08-12-04, 10:17 AM
I live on the Broward/Dade Border line.....Miramar......................Floods like hell down here.........these are the only times I wish I had a truck or SUV with a lift kit.........no preparations until last minute here.......

Were in a 1 yr old house and the damn aluminum shutters are hell to put up........I doubt they will go up until a hurricane is at least a cat 3..........

And to top it off........5 houses have just been completed next to us 2 days ago and that include about a total of 20 new palm trees an palmettos..............I dont think the rope is gonna anchor them down....keeping the bimmer and the caddy in the garage.............mustang can stay out.

daacon
08-12-04, 10:46 AM
batton down the hatches - I work with some Orlando folks and they are taking cover (not going into work tomorrow) :hide:

And for my flatlander friend Ralph : :lildevil:
Hur´ri`cane Noun 1. hurricane - a severe tropical cyclone usually with heavy rains and winds moving a 73-136 knots (12 on the Beaufort scale)

cyclone - a violent rotating windstorm
Beaufort scale, wind scale - an international scale of wind force from 0 (calm air) to 12 (hurricane)

And yeah T_Dogg8 you got it right on. After the first western Blizzard of the season , it is usally 6 - 8 months before we hit the "Beach" :crying2:

We had a Tornado in '87 hit our little corner of the world. That is so rare up here....was not a pretty site - luckly we (my family and friends) came out unscathed (little Hail damage on the car was all) ....

Msilva954
08-12-04, 11:15 AM
Hopefully the two dont collide head on and cause a 5th demension or something like that....haha.......Hope everyone has Flood insurance.

Imprl59
08-12-04, 12:41 PM
Well they have decided to evacuate zones A B and C (me) from Pinellas county which is the Clearwater, FL area. Largest evacuation in history for this county they are saying. Yall pray for us down here and for our Cadillacs too.

Steve B.

Vesicant
08-12-04, 12:48 PM
Im in a RENTED House too!

w000000t.... Our truck should do good, has a nice set of lights on it.. Hella driving lights... Z71 package; should roll over a lot of stuff and if a tree gets in our way, just push it.

We're making room in the garage as we speak for cars aka Cadillac.

Elvis
08-12-04, 01:01 PM
I spend a lot of time on a baseball forum, one of the members there is the local NPR announcer with the Jacksonville affiliate.

Anyway, he said he mistakenly referred to the hurricanes as "Bonnie & Clyde" this morning on the air.

Msilva954
08-12-04, 01:53 PM
It looks as though it isnt going to be as bad as they orginally though................I think with all the false alarms we have had the last couple seasons people are starting to get back to the lazy hurricane andrew days................I know I am......I really dont want to put up aluminum shutters 26 ft up....................damn hurricanes. We have 28 damn windows on this house.

Ralph
08-12-04, 02:02 PM
And for my flatlander friend Ralph : :lildevil:
Hur´ri`cane Noun 1. hurricane - a severe tropical cyclone usually with heavy rains and winds moving a 73-136 knots (12 on the Beaufort scale)

We had a Tornado in '87 hit our little corner of the world. That is so rare up here....was not a pretty site - luckly we (my family and friends) came out unscathed (little Hail damage on the car was all) ....

That's why we love that show Miami Vice so much, 'cause it's the only time I've seen the ocean. We've already had 3 tornado warnings this summer, and I remember seing the damage Edmonton had in 1987. Massive oil storage drums larger than buildings were full and overturned! We had a bad one in 1973, and I remember my Dad and I watching our canoe lift up and fly across a rather large field! The next day we had to get it down from some power lines! Pieces of my Dad's metal shed went flying that could have cut someone in half! (incert rant smilie HERE)

Glad all is well in Florida.

PurpleDeville
08-12-04, 04:41 PM
I live in spring hill (hernando county). i have everything i need, i think anyway. i hope it makes some sort of a turn like all the other ones do. but i am not too sure this time. it just always seems like every time a hurricane is supposed to come our way, it doesnt. but they are evacuating sooooo many people already! i guess we will just have to see what happens! :confused:

Brett
08-12-04, 04:49 PM
i cant believe how many people they are evacuating this early, charley is still on the other side of cuba.....oh well, im set, i got my duct tape, water, beer and anti-looter device(12 gauge)

PhantomCadillac
08-12-04, 05:13 PM
I'm ready too, just heared they closed schools tomorrow in Lake County. So my wife wants me to pick up movies on the way home. But I still have to work as of now. I have beer and a safe room!!

T_Dogg8
08-12-04, 05:27 PM
school started already down there?? that's just wrong. schools shouldn't start until late aug.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-12-04, 05:43 PM
just got back from my grandprents house , one of the forcats has the storm hitting there mobil home park dead on , got the plywood up and eveything tidy , my grandfather wouldnt leave , he is still there .Messed up my back trying to get him out... Got my grandmother up here at the house now in pasco but were gonna go back with my dad and mom to pry my grandfather out of that damned trailer ... :want:

My other grandmother is trapped on the howard frankenstien with all the other evacuees ....in a geo metro !!!!! :hide:

Im not too worried about the storm but i would like to have everybody here at the house where its safe in case something goes wrong or the forcast is correct :suspense:

T_Dogg8
08-12-04, 06:33 PM
i guess they're saying now it'll be a cat. 3

dumb lady
08-12-04, 07:49 PM
I live in spring hill (hernando county). i have everything i need, i think anyway. i hope it makes some sort of a turn like all the other ones do. but i am not too sure this time. it just always seems like every time a hurricane is supposed to come our way, it doesnt. but they are evacuating sooooo many people already! i guess we will just have to see what happens! :confused:

Hello...Purple... My parents live in Spring Hill also... And I drove my Pop's '88 Sedan de Ville home from Spring Hill to RI this past June. Good Luck to you all down in FL.

PurpleDeville
08-12-04, 10:05 PM
hey stoneage caddy, i heard not too long ago on the news that they are doing mandatory evacuation in parts of pasco as well now! i hope everyone is safe.
dumb lady, what a small world. spring hill is such a small town that not many people know of it! thanks so much for the concern for all of us floridians! we have all of my family here already before it all starts tomorrow.
Be safe everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShadowLvr400
08-12-04, 10:55 PM
Sigh, guess I do some duct taping tomorrow. Still have enough supplies, etc. Fluids not in the best of shape on, but tolerable. Also have the ability to basic purify rain water, etc.

Sandy
08-12-04, 11:04 PM
I wish you all well, and no damage. May the man above watch over you all.
:worship:

Msilva954
08-12-04, 11:29 PM
Wouldnt that a kadinkadink if it was a Geo Storm..............

Broward and Dade seem to be O.K. I think were just gonna get the outskirts of it.........4 once you guys get one head on....while (Hopefully we can relax about it) but it sucks no matter where it goes.........I hope everyone well...................I bet the cubans love it though.......I bet their boats get here alot faster with that hurricane.....maybe they can out run the coast guard now.:)

Ralph
08-12-04, 11:54 PM
Man, I saw this thing on the news satellite shot and I have to say, I would either be digging a rather large hole, or running north! I would put my car in an underground parkade for safety.

Here is the current satellite shot of it, and take care tomorrow! They also said it is the biggest hurricane Florida has seen in 100 years!

Don't underestimate it and be careful!

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2004/08/12/florida_hurricane040812.html

caddyshack24
08-13-04, 12:33 AM
it just hit me.. tommorrow is Friday the 13th.

Vesicant
08-13-04, 12:42 AM
Im not really superstitious.. but i do kind of believe in Friday the 13th...

Wow this is so funny...

Msilva954
08-13-04, 12:51 AM
Damn......maybe we should put the shudders up.

dumb lady
08-13-04, 07:23 AM
dumb lady, what a small world. spring hill is such a small town that not many people know of it! thanks so much for the concern for all of us floridians! we have all of my family here already before it all starts tomorrow.
Be safe everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be safe Purple & family....
My parents live in the neighborhood across from the Post Office (Spring Hill Dr)
I got a part for the Caddy at the Pasco Salvage Yard while I was down there...and new tires at the Good Year Tire place on 19. Spring Hill is a nice town filled with nice folks.
I hope all of you folks down FLA way stay safe & dry.
Good Luck....D/L

Stoneage_Caddy
08-13-04, 09:46 AM
we got everyone into our house last night at 9pm , took some conviceing but my granfater finally left with us when we went back to pick him up .

Going outside to take pics of the deville for insurance purposes , the vette ,maxx and silverado are in the garage and are backed into the door for a little extra reinforcement , the deville is guarding/blocking the outside of the door . Fresh construction across the street so im pretty darn sure the devilles gonna be a mess by tomorrow morning (it hits us at 8pm tonight ). Got no worrys abouyt the family as the house was built in 97 after all the andrew mess and lessons leanred in building code .

Hopefully i get lucky and it gets the trunklid(little rust spot) and right tailight(bad wire inside)

Springhill eh ? never seen you guys around here on the forums ..land o lakes here

Good Luck everyone !

JohnnyO
08-13-04, 11:08 AM
charlie will hit me head on.. im ready for the blow job. (thta doesnt make me gay does it? lol)

Only if you're hanging out with the governor of NJ.....
We were just in Ft. Myers last week at my dad's winter home. I wanted to put the garage door brace on before we left but he said "Nah, then I can't use the remote to get in when I come down."

Msilva954
08-13-04, 11:34 AM
Yea here in lower broward we have Dade aproved code............you should see the garage door...I can barely get the Caddy in (by literly 2 inches) there is so many 2x4 braces on it.....you would need a battery ram just to get through it.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-13-04, 12:05 PM
did you guys put 2x4s on it ? or did it come thata way ?

ours is steel and has hozizontal steel braceing , looks like a nomral door to me but boath mom(an acratect) and dad say its one of the hurricane proof type ....

Msilva954
08-13-04, 02:39 PM
Its a new house.....2003 built with Miami Dade Code.....it came like this...super strong too.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_img_a/564998_25_full.jpg

For some reason I cant post pics anymore.

BeelzeBob
08-13-04, 03:41 PM
It's very windy over here in West Palm Beach.. All the way on the other side..

Stoneage_Caddy
08-13-04, 04:34 PM
ahh i see how its done now , ours has metal in the place yours has wood ..interesting

Msilva954
08-13-04, 07:52 PM
When our house was being built I remember them saying that the aluminum they use isnt as strong as using the 2x4's, I was a little confused but it has to meet Dade Code which is one of the US's top codes so it must be pretty strong.

Ralph
08-13-04, 07:57 PM
When our house was being built I remember them saying that the aluminum they use isnt as strong as using the 2x4's, I was a little confused but it has to meet Dade Code which is one of the US's top codes so it must be pretty strong.

Do you remember in Texas about 1997 or so, people had special houses built made out of cement that were supposed to be tornado, etc. proof. Anyway, a bad storm came and they figured they shouldn't have to leave, their houses were blown away and there were just slabs of cement where they were! Any thoughts? What about the people who refuse to leave, what can be done about that? I'm sure many people don't want to leave their homes, and I can't really blame them. I would be concerned about looting when everyone is away.

Msilva954
08-13-04, 10:16 PM
I dont know how their houses were built but here we have probably THE stricktest code in the US......the whole house is Steel reinforced concrete.........with wooden beams between the two floors.......solid foundation and all.............

My thoughts: we dont live near the ocean......were in the last area of remaining everglades......and while it does flood here...I would ride it out...If we were to loose everything I would rather loose it while Im there...not in some shelter with smelly people.

Ralph
08-14-04, 12:28 AM
I dont know how their houses were built but here we have probably THE stricktest code in the US......the whole house is Steel reinforced concrete.........with wooden beams between the two floors.......solid foundation and all.............

My thoughts: we dont live near the ocean......were in the last area of remaining everglades......and while it does flood here...I would ride it out...If we were to loose everything I would rather loose it while Im there...not in some shelter with smelly people.

It's strange how you can remember certain stories like this, but it just shocked me so I remembered it. I think those houses were built from concrete by a company that specialized in them. If I recall they were anchored a few feet into the ground also, but it was an F4 or F5 that did them in. I don't put much faith in the word "proof" ie. "tornado proof" or "bullit proof." I don't think that with the forces mother nature can unlease such a thing exists. "resistant" is probably more accurate a term. :)

Msilva954
08-14-04, 12:51 AM
^exactly...nothing is proof.....resistant is more like it......one thing I love about our house is that it faces east and west with two home on each side of us.....whenever there is a huge storm.....the houses on the sides protect each other from flying debree and wind.....

On to the proof part again......I think South Florida and Florida in general is alot more prepared for hurricanes then it was in the early 90's I really notice the drastic changes such as the evacuating........I find it hard to believe that on tv today they were saying at least there will be 10 billion in damage to the state.........anyone know how much andrew was???? I know that was the most expensive disaster ever.

daacon
08-14-04, 08:32 AM
I truley hope everyone is ok ..........

Hurricane Andrew stats (and that is 1992 dollars ..so add inflation)

August 24-26, 1992
* southeast Florida/southern Louisiana
* 23 deaths
* category 5 at landfall
* pressure 27.23" (922 mb) at landfall
* damage $26.5 billion
* the costliest hurricane on record in the U.S.
* the third most intense hurricane at landfall to hit the U.S.

Slick V
08-14-04, 09:28 AM
Bareily got any wind, no rain at all, and they were giving us floodwatch.

Msilva954
08-14-04, 10:10 AM
Bareily got any wind, no rain at all, and they were giving us floodwatch.

^Im with you.....not one drop here.....a little dark and thats it....sunny as hell right now.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-14-04, 11:20 AM
got a nice breeze last night , totally missed us .....

gonna be a long day of getting every put back where it is supposed to be since we moved everything to get ready for this thing

carguy16
08-14-04, 06:00 PM
Charlie just missed my house! I got a breeze, and 10-15 minutes of light rain. I spent a bunch of time battling mosquitoes trying to shove loose items in storage around the house, dont you just hate that???

But, I should be thank ful that there was no damage at all, and it took another direction. Remember, they had the forecast projected and said that Charlie would cut right through the center of Pasco.

ShadowLvr400
08-14-04, 08:04 PM
Welp, check in after the fact. We got hit pretty hard here, lost power, and phone for a few hours. Couple of sections of the pool screening went down. But not much else. Our trees even held up ok. I live, and my Caddy was safe. Funny, the Olds sat out all night, and it's fine too. Damn. :)

Ralph
08-14-04, 08:12 PM
They just said on the news that there are over 100 people missing. (Where from?) I think where Sal is they got hit hard? (West Palm Beach) Hope all is ok.

Elvis
08-15-04, 12:52 AM
So when does John Kerry make his appearance in Florida poking through the ruins in fatigues? It will be reminiscent of his days in 'nam, when he was "in the sh!t, looking for Charley..."

Stoneage_Caddy
08-15-04, 01:04 AM
i think sal is fine , west palm is on the east coast of the state (makes sense dont it )

Been there many a time visting "Lame Duck Motorsports" getting fab work done on the race car

Vesicant
08-15-04, 01:56 PM
He showed up here, at a place called "The Landing" not too terribly long ago.

..knew some diehard Kerry fans who went. :rolleyes2

D148L0
08-15-04, 08:29 PM
I'm glad you guys are OK.

Msilva954
08-15-04, 09:30 PM
Well my dad choose not to go (Works for BSO if any of u know Broward.) But alot went there to help out and they just got back......from what they are telling us is that it was HORRIBLE out there......they say they havent gone in half the trailers yet and they have found bodies in loads of them......not to mention its starting to smell out there from the decomposition already.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-15-04, 10:58 PM
but from what i can tell it is nothing like andrew destruction wise

i belive they didnt have the time to evac like the bay area did , for a week everyone had it tracking at tampa , no one there thought it would just flat turn out of the blue . i really dont think i was the only one horrified when charlie chaged track , all i could think of was how unpreapred they will be

Ralph
08-16-04, 12:39 AM
but from what i can tell it is nothing like andrew destruction wise

i belive they didnt have the time to evac like the bay area did , for a week everyone had it tracking at tampa , no one there thought it would just flat turn out of the blue . i really dont think i was the only one horrified when charlie chaged track , all i could think of was how unpreapred they will be

Too bad about those people.

I can't believe anyone was able to properly evacuate. All they showed on the news were long line-ups of cars on the highway, but they weren't moving one inch! If it was me I would be driving around everyone causing total kaos while screaming like a 13 year old school girl "get the h*** out of my way!

Vesicant
08-16-04, 12:51 AM
So what about tropical storm earl? Thats already above s. america..

What are the predictions? Will it hit FL ? (havent been watching the news lately)

Imprl59
08-16-04, 10:26 AM
Well silly me. We evacuated to my Mom's place in Orlando. Once they decided that the storm was coming that way there was really no way to evacuate again with all the traffic. We decided to take our chances in her house instead of risking being stuck in the car on the hiway.

Lots of wind and rain and trees down. The neatest thing to me was watching the wind/rain hit the Cadi. It looked like one of those wind tunnell test you see on commercials only it was water instead of smoke. They say the winds were gusting to 100mph where we were. I can' even imagine what it must have been like to be where the storm hit land.

Steve B.