: Custom Tune

Htown09
01-19-10, 04:56 PM
For all you performance guru's - what would be better for performance gains: a custom dyno tune or a new ECU from w4m.

Also if a local shop does a dyno tune for me, would cadillac be able to see that if I brought it in for service, or would I have to go back to the shop to flash it back to stock before I went in.

If it will give me more power, I would do a custom dyno tune. If the w4m ECU box give me equal performance that would be easier to swap out. Thanks in advance for any input.

Luna.
01-19-10, 05:29 PM
A mail order tune will almost never be as good as a tune with the car in front of the tuner. (Assuming capable tuners, of course)

This isn't to disrespect Jesse, or any other tuner, it just is what it is. Put another way, I'm willing to bet even Jesse would say that he could tune a car 10,000x better if the car was in front of them, rather than trying to guess and mail it to you.

All cars are different and often like different things.

If you have a nearby, capable tuner that can examine your car directly, go that route over a mail-order tune in every situation

IPSjeff
01-19-10, 05:40 PM
If you have a nearby, capable tuner that can examine your car directly, go that route over a mail-order tune in every situation

I agree 110% :)

Gary Wells
01-19-10, 05:44 PM
For all you performance guru's - what would be better for performance gains: a custom dyno tune or a new ECU from w4m.

Also if a local shop does a dyno tune for me, would cadillac be able to see that if I brought it in for service, or would I have to go back to the shop to flash it back to stock before I went in.

If it will give me more power, I would do a custom dyno tune. If the w4m ECU box give me equal performance that would be easier to swap out. Thanks in advance for any input.

FWIW, I'm a noob, but have done lots of reading on this and a few other forums. I think that it would be to your advantage to do lots of reading on this forum & section regarding your choices.
Under the options that you listed, a custom tune will probably bring more RWHP & RWTQ as Jesse I think generally leaves his *handheld* and his ECM's a little fat to be on the safe side of everything.
Jesse advises that his tunes on his *handheld* can be pulled out and the factory tunes be re-installed without detection.
Another option is buying his ECM and possible having it re-tuned in a little closer by a local tuner, or leaving it alone.
Another option, but not as much power as the others probably would be buying just a pulley and installing it and / or having it installed without a tune. You can generally run a pulley without a tune without the cels coming on.
Do not take my word for anything, just wanted to get you started in the right direction. Lots of expert on this section & forum. I am sure that some of the more experienced peeps will chime in. HTH.

Dr.Buzz
01-19-10, 06:25 PM
I have done it both ways and a cutome tune on a dyno is always preffered. Not only will you pick up power but you should also pick up milage. For those of you with automatics changing the way the car shifts makes a world of difference also.

Htown09
01-19-10, 06:46 PM
Another option is buying his ECM and possible having it re-tuned in a little closer by a local tuner, or leaving it alone.

Thanks for the input fellas,

The ECU swap might be the best option. That way I can custom tune it by a shop and still have my factory ECU if I need to go into service. That way I have the best of both worlds, more power, but easily returned to stock.

Where does Jesse get his ECU's? If I go this route it might be cheaper to buy another stock ECU rather than getting a tuned one from him if I am just going to re-tune it on the dyno.

I am not planning on putting a pulley at this moment. Just exhaust, tune, modified airbox and heat exchanger for performance mods. But as more V's get numbers, I'm sure that might change. :bouncy:

musclesbmf
01-19-10, 07:52 PM
Have you seen the price of his tuned ECU boxes? Very inexpensive. DOn't think you'll get one cheaper and that would be without a tune. Get his tuned ECU, then take it to your local tuner to have it tweaked. Then you have the best of everything.

Just my $0.02,
Mark

Gotham CTS-V
01-20-10, 08:14 AM
Just get Jesse's tune, run the car on the dyno, and Jesse will perfect it for you and send you a new one, just like if he were right there doing the tuning.

wait4me
01-20-10, 09:54 AM
Thanks gotham,
Yes we can do anything you want. You always get FREE updates, and there is no need to pay for a dyno tune as i can do it all remotely if you send me the information i need.
As for these cars and tunes, I have done hundreds of the 2009s and 36 2010s, I can have the stock cars exactly perfect and cant get an extra single horsepower out of them if that is what the customer requests. I usually set them up with a buffer in them that might eat up 3-5 hp, but what is 5hp.... Not much. I can not put the buffer in though if requested and give you max hp....

I have done just about every single mod that you can do to them on multiple vehicles and have test data and dynos from over 100 cars with some cars having 20+ dyno runs on them tweeking everything...

That and we do 2-3 cars a week here in person of JUST 09-10CTSVs... That is all i mess with in person.

The tuned ecm with free updates is only $320. Yes they are hidden and look like stock software wise. They do not record programming events, and they dont report module swaps to the door module.
Same goes for my $400 dollar handheld programmer, hidden, free updates, remote tuning sessions, ect..

:)

musclesbmf
01-20-10, 11:52 AM
Jesse is still the man.

Mark