: 98 Cater No Juice

catera26
01-19-10, 12:03 AM
I'm preparing to buy my deceased aunts 98 catera with 60,000 miles for $1200 bucks. Car has been sitting for several months out in the driveway and finally I go to start the car on morning and there is no juice. The key fob, lights, engine, nothing works at all. I go and touch the battery terminals with jumper cables, not charge, and the car fires right up with hesitation and everything works fine. I go and drive it around for about half an hour without issue, battery gauge showing normal. However as soon as I turn the key and shut off the engine, all power is instantly lost again. No lights, key fob, or engine turn over. Almost like there isn't even a battery. I've seen dead batteries however none where there isnt any power at all as soon as I shut off the engine. And all it takes is just a touch from the jumper cables. Could it be something else? Someone suggested a solenoid or alternator. I honestly don't know. Can someone please help me? You all seem very wise regarding the catera's. Thank you very much for your time.

Black02SLPSS
01-19-10, 05:07 AM
Well lets rule out the 2 major components in you electrical system, go take you battery and alternator off and go down to you local parts store and have both tested. That is a strange problem to be having and that is what i would check first.

Let us know what happens after that.

CADMAN56
01-20-10, 08:51 PM
catera 26- more than likely you have a bad battery-replace battery first,then test alternator-you cant test alternator properly with a bad or weak battery.but first make sure your battery cables clamps are free from corosion and are tight along with the aux.piggy back connections.once batt is replaced and charged properly then you can test your alternator.good luck