: Mods are done. Here are the results.

Dr.Buzz
01-17-10, 06:09 PM
I have an auto that dynoed 438 whp 432 trq on dyno jet stock. After adding Kooks 1 7/8, WFM intake, WFM exhaust with stock mufflers, WFM heat heat exchanger, WFM 9.5 pulley, and bigger injectors 82 lbs. (stock injector duty cycle was at 100),160 thermostat, car put down 525 rwhp,500 rwtq. Added Stealth cam (intake 218/.603", exhaust 229/ .603" on a 117.5 LSA) and car ended up at 578 rwhp and 551 rwtq. Car is at 11 pounds of boost.

Another stock 09 dynoed the same day as mine (auto) and he put down 409 rwhp, 459 rtrq stock and after tune 455 rwhp, 441 rwtq.

I had all the work done at IPS motorsport in Columbus Ohio and was very happy with the results. They did all of the work on my Corvette also and as usual they did a top rate job. The car is stock like at idle but sounds great at wide open throttle. Defintely can hear the supercharger now which I also like. The cam is great and only a real car guy would be able to tell. Gas mileage is also the same at 75 mph even thought the car now has 140 more rwhp.

I have to say I was shocked at how restrictive the stock pipes are on the car. Also anyone who has an aftermarket air intake without a heat shield should get a heat shield as the intake air temperature without a shield really hurt power. Before they fabricated a shield for my car the intake air temperatures got high. We stuck a manila folder in there and gained 20 rwhp. They made a template of mine so if anyone is interested drop me a line. Hope this helps anyone considering mods.

Vrocks
01-17-10, 06:49 PM
I have an auto that dynoed 438 whp 432 trq on dyno jet stock. After adding Kooks 1 7/8, WFM intake, WFM exhaust with stock mufflers, WFM heat heat exchanger, WFM 9.5 pulley, and bigger injectors 82 lbs. (stock injector duty cycle was at 100),160 thermostat, car put down 525 rwhp,500 rwtq. Added Stealth cam (intake 218/.603", exhaust 229/ .603" on a 117.5 LSA) and car ended up at 578 rwhp and 551 rwtq. Car is at 11 pounds of boost.

Another stock 09 dynoed the same day as mine (auto) and he put down 409 rwhp, 459 rtrq stock and after tune 455 rwhp, 441 rwtq.

I had all the work done at IPS motorsport in Columbus Ohio and was very happy with the results. They did all of the work on my Corvette also and as usual they did a top rate job. The car is stock like at idle but sounds great at wide open throttle. Defintely can hear the supercharger now which I also like. The cam is great and only a real car guy would be able to tell. Gas mileage is also the same at 75 mph even thought the car now has 140 more rwhp.

I have to say I was shocked at how restrictive the stock pipes are on the car. Also anyone who has an aftermarket air intake without a heat shield should get a heat shield as the intake air temperature without a shield really hurt power. Before they fabricated a shield for my car the intake air temperatures got high. We stuck a manila folder in there and gained 20 rwhp. They made a template of mine so if anyone is interested drop me a line. Hope this helps anyone considering mods.

Nice numbers, especially since the dyno you were on seems to be on the low side compared to others. Did you get the cam from W4Me? If so, did you get the heads done as well? Thanks.

v4meinsandiego
01-17-10, 07:04 PM
Great numbers.......congrats! If you don't mind me asking what do all the mods cost as a package? I am interested to find out if I wanted to do something similiar what it would cost including labor. Thanks in advance...

Gary Wells
01-17-10, 07:55 PM
Great numbers.......congrats! If you don't mind me asking what do all the mods cost as a package? I am interested to find out if I wanted to do something similiar what it would cost including labor. Thanks in advance...

Excuse me for interfering, v4meinsandiego, but D3 Research & Design in Signal hill, CA is a good place for both quality high *performance parts* and labor.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php

A lot of the SoCal locals have had their work on these cars done here.

User name Ross Racing of San Diego just had their car done at D3 in Signal Hill, CA also. Might want to check out their post.

Also, There's user name PSRMark on the forum here, who works for PSR in Phoenix, AZ.

HTH

Dr.Buzz
01-17-10, 08:15 PM
It cost a little more than planned "doesn't it always" as we had it complete and decided to do the cam swap. Total was around $8500 for everything.

Dr.Buzz
01-17-10, 08:18 PM
I got the cam from IPS and no I did not port the heads but I did put in new springs and push rods.

v4meinsandiego
01-17-10, 08:26 PM
Excuse me for interfering, v4meinsandiego, but D3 Research & Design in Signal hill, CA is a good place for both quality high *performance parts* and labor.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/vehicles-CTS-08.php

A lot of the SoCal locals have had their work on these cars done here.

User name Ross Racing of San Diego just had their car done at D3 in Signal Hill, CA also. Might want to check out their post.

Also, There's user name PSRMark on the forum here, who works for PSR in Phoenix, AZ.

HTH

Thanks Gary. Yes I have seen there name online a few times. It always makes me curious depending on the car what these modifications cost depending on the car.

I am budgeting about $5k for my V to personalize it and I am interested in obviously getting the most for my money. I really want wheels and tires but doing that will cause any performance upgrades to wait. If this package was somewhere in the neighborhood it would be a compelling case.

Uriel
01-17-10, 09:10 PM
My V is being modded by D3 Cadillac of Signal Hill, CA. All mods will be completed this Friday Jan, 22. I will post results at that time.

Gary Wells
01-17-10, 09:20 PM
Thanks Gary. Yes I have seen there name online a few times. It always makes me curious depending on the car what these modifications cost depending on the car.

I am budgeting about $5k for my V to personalize it and I am interested in obviously getting the most for my money. I really want wheels and tires but doing that will cause any performance upgrades to wait. If this package was somewhere in the neighborhood it would be a compelling case.

You might want to consider giving "Dr. James", or "Dr. Design" as he is sometimes referred to at D3 a call, PM, or E-mail and just point blank ask him what he can do for performance for what you have to spend. I am sure that James will work out some type of package deal for you if he can.

dvandentop
01-17-10, 10:55 PM
any pics of the air intake system?

CVP33
01-17-10, 11:10 PM
$8,500 is pretty good for all that in my book. Congrats on the results.

caddynoob
01-18-10, 12:13 AM
Amazing numbers. That's well over 700hp at the crank.

If you don't mind me asking here, isn't 438whp and 409whp a bit low even for the auto? I know it varies from dyno to dyno, but that's over 20% drive train lost. What's the expected whp for the auto and manual? I thought it was something like 430whp and 440whp respectively for the auto and manual.

Dr.Buzz
01-18-10, 06:24 AM
This particular dyno jet has the reputation of reading low. They Have only dynoed one other CTS V and it numbers where in line with mine. That is why it is important to do a base line before mods so you know what you really gain. As for photos of the air box I will try to post later. For those on a budget the best mod for the buck is a custom tune. Not only will it improve horsepower and gas mileage. In the automatic the transmission now shifts so much faster. In my opinion the stock shift settings are WAY to slow. It is night and day.

Dr.Buzz
01-18-10, 06:31 AM
This particular dyno jet has the reputation of reading low. They Have only dynoed one other CTS V and it numbers where in line with mine. That is why it is important to do a base line before mods so you know what you really gain. As for photos of the air box I will try to post later. For those on a budget the best mod for the buck is a custom tune. Not only will it improve horsepower and gas mileage. In the automatic the transmission now shifts so much faster. In my opinion the stock shift settings are WAY to slow. It is night and day.

Gotham CTS-V
01-18-10, 11:10 AM
Very cool man! Seems like the cam made a big difference. It would be nice if some vendors would release a good camshaft for our cars.

Vrocks
01-18-10, 01:45 PM
Very cool man! Seems like the cam made a big difference. It would be nice if some vendors would release a good camshaft for our cars.
Wait 4 Me has cams - I think they were <$300.

zr1vet
01-18-10, 07:52 PM
And ported heads for about $1500. Cam and heads = 70+ rwhp, great bang for the buck.

Luna.
01-18-10, 11:14 PM
And ported heads for about $1500. Cam and heads = 70+ rwhp, great bang for the buck.

Hmmmm, not really in my mind, but okay.

Karch
01-18-10, 11:53 PM
www.proheads.com for heads. Great guy.

IPSjeff
01-19-10, 05:58 PM
any pics of the air intake system?

We took a few pics of it while it was on the dyno but the "Production" version will be done soon and I will start a separate thread about it. The "Add-on" heat shield for the W4Me CAI that we did on this car is available now and pics of it can be seen here:

EDIT: It won't let me post a link so if you go to my flickr page (IPS Motorsports) pics of the car / set-up are on there :)

I don't have the laptop in front of me but the temp differences (And thus the amount of timing we were able to run) were pretty significant.
Jeff

IPSjeff
01-19-10, 06:04 PM
Amazing numbers. That's well over 700hp at the crank.

If you don't mind me asking here, isn't 438whp and 409whp a bit low even for the auto? I know it varies from dyno to dyno, but that's over 20% drive train lost.

Being AWD, my DynoJet has read lower then the local Mustang Dyno and 2wd DynoJet on vehicles that have dynoed on both. That being said, we were still happy with the gains we saw on Buzz's car :)
Jeff

aceofblitz
01-20-10, 02:13 AM
My base dyno was 454 rwhp, I installed the same mods you have except for the cam and the injectors making 565 rwhp. I noticed that the air intake temperature is a little too high, the heat shield must be a good thing. I also realized that you have to raise the idle a little.. otherwise you would hear the engine almost going to stall, kinda sounds like I had a cam on the car lol. I'm digging the cam, great additional power.

Vlakaz
01-20-10, 03:18 PM
Great results.. congrats. I am sure you are having even more fun driving the V now. Can the stock transmission handle this extra power?

I am certainly not a "technical" car guy, so I'll go ahead and ask all of you the question. What will this added 140rwhp do to the cars 0-60/0-100mph times? Depending on the magazine I have seen 0-60 times of 3.9-4.3 for the auto, and I believe around 9.7 for 0-100.

Assuming stock rubber, will all this extra power make any difference in the above times? or is the benefit only going to be in 1/4 mile and trap speeds?

wait4me
01-20-10, 05:00 PM
www.proheads.com for heads. Great guy.

Im almost half the cost of thiers... Flow numbers should be about the same..

The difference wouldnt be worth the extra 1500 dollars... I'd hand finish the sets we sell to meet or exceed any flow number for that extra 1500! lol

As for cams, yes we have ALOT of custom grinds for the lsa and ls9.. Basically it is as big as you want to go..

The small hidden cams we sell them for $280 including a new timing gear and bolts i believe...

IPS Brandon
01-20-10, 05:08 PM

The difference wouldnt be worth the extra 1500 dollars... I'd hand finish the sets we sell to meet or exceed any flow number for that extra 1500! lol

As for cams, yes we have ALOT of custom grinds for the lsa and ls9.. Basically it is as big as you want to go..

The small hidden cams we sell them for $280 including a new timing gear and bolts i believe...

Who is grinding your cams at that price? :eek:

Karch
01-20-10, 07:10 PM

I don't know about the performance of your heads, but it's not all about the flow numbers. You want to maintain good velocity, so the higher flow numbers at the mid-lifts, with the lowest volume, often out perform heads with higher peak numbers.

IPS Brandon
01-21-10, 02:15 PM
I don't know about the performance of your heads, but it's not all about the flow numbers. You want to maintain good velocity, so the higher flow numbers at the mid-lifts, with the lowest volume, often out perform heads with higher peak numbers.

Photo of Dr. Buzz's V, can be found at this link for those interested http://www.flickr.com/photos/ipsmotorsports/sets/72157622895986069/

The OP is spot on, flow is important, but it is not the only factor in valuing cylinder heads performance, fuel mixtures and velocity are very crucial as well. We have some CNC ported heads I will release more information on once we finalize some more R&D. We are also working on video to show the stealth of this cam, and its benefits.

Here are some photos of before an after dynos with the heat shield we designed and fabricated for the W4M intake.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4292750461_5710c34c9b_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4063/4292750573_50fea51582_o.jpg

The first Chart is where we finally ended up post heat shield. With the Shield we saw a drastic reduction of air intake temperatures. With the shield around 71 degrees F, and 98 F post blower temps. (weather conditions were around 50-60 ambient in the shop actually)

The second chart is pre heat shield. After trying to tune the car after the cam installation, we were seeing around 140-170 degree air intake temperatures, and 137-140 post blower temps, which makes tuning the car a nightmare, because you can not have any ignition timing programmed in. So as you can tell a simple heat shield, while properly designed can certainly help increase performance. I wouldn't even want to know what this would have been like during the summer. ( I am also not claiming you will see 40-50 hp increase from just a heat shield alone, it was the combination of the parts on this car that yielded this, I am saying get a get shield though, it will only help).

Here is a photo of the sheild in its raw aluminum configuration. It slides right in place and bolts in easily with one bolt and is very rigid. We have tweaked the CNC program slightly for future needs if needed. This seals to the hood very nicely.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4279121737_44db1ec0f2_o.jpg

Regards

-Brandon
IPS Motorsports

dvandentop
01-24-10, 09:23 PM
will the heat shields work with pretty much any air intake system? how much for one?

thanks

Dr.Buzz
01-24-10, 09:34 PM
I think it will work with any intake as because of the lack of space all intakes are designed the same for our cars. Conatact IPS motorsports for a price as since mine was the first one it cost more. I know they saved the template so it will be cheaper.

zr1vet
01-25-10, 06:36 AM
Are you able to use the engine covers with the heat shield?

IPS Brandon
01-25-10, 02:03 PM
will the heat shields work with pretty much any air intake system? how much for one?

thanks

I can guarentee fitment with W4Me's intake, and I would generically say with most others, as it seems everyone copied each others design.

As for the shield we may in fact offer this, but are still working on the possibility of a completely different engineered intake and air box/ shield design. Still may however offer this as a retro fit for those whom already have a W4ME, because YOU need it for certain.

Are you able to use the engine covers with the heat shield?

We did not re-install all of the covers on this car. The only cover that may not fit is the integral cover on the right side which mounts to the air box. Again we may address this in creating a new intake system. So the short answer is yes and no, the right cover may not work. (But the benefits are well worth it)

Regards
Brandon
http://www.ipsmotorsports.net