: Dealer stickers/plaque

caddieboy
08-11-04, 06:42 PM
When I get a CTS, but I don't want the dealer stricker or dealer chrome on the car, is it easy to get off? Would it ruin the painjob? Would it forever be faintly visible that something was there? I have a feeling even if I ask that they not afix dealer stamps on a new build, they will and say "oops".

Any CTS owners have problems with this or successfully taken it off?

Mbai2
08-11-04, 06:48 PM
I just told the dealer that I didn't want the plaque on delivery but if they felt like they needed to put on a license plate bracket with their name on it, it was fine.

caddieboy
08-11-04, 06:50 PM
I just told the dealer that I didn't want the plaque on delivery but if they felt like they needed to put on a license plate bracket with their name on it, it was fine.

That's what I though of, but I've never seen them with licence plate brackets. We'll have to see.

Plaque! I had a brainblock.

pulsch
08-11-04, 06:56 PM
I have always heated the metal or sticker advertising with a blow dryer and then peeled it off by hand. Tedious, but it does come off. The license type I leave on.

Mbai2
08-11-04, 06:58 PM
OT: Pulsch, did u get any info on the PayPal stuff?

pulsch
08-11-04, 07:00 PM
OT: Pulsch, did u get any info on the PayPal stuff?

I have been busier than I thought. I havn't forgotten though. I will get to it this week.

caddieboy
08-11-04, 07:09 PM
I have always heated the metal or sticker advertising with a blow dryer and then peeled it off by hand. Tedious, but it does come off. The license type I leave on.

Cool, I never would have though that would work. At least I won't be upset should they decide to add one anyway or if I buy something off the lot.

Were you happy with the results when you've done this?

dkozloski
08-11-04, 07:22 PM
I always tell the dealer that if he tries to put stickers or labels on any car I'm buying he can keep it. I caught one guy heading for the back of an RX-7 Mazda I was buying with a drill and pop riveter to put a tag on it. I am pretty sure it would have been called justifiable homicide if he hadn't stopped.

DMC-12
08-11-04, 07:33 PM
I always tell the dealer that if he tries to put stickers or labels on any car I'm buying he can keep it. I caught one guy heading for the back of an RX-7 Mazda I was buying with a drill and pop riveter to put a tag on it. I am pretty sure it would have been called justifiable homicide if he hadn't stopped.

LOL If they wanna pay me a monthly advertising fee... I would let them keep the crap on there... otherwise... I refuse to be some dealerships moving billboard.

I took the stickers off when I got home... and plate the frames came off in the dealership parking lot and I tossed them in my trunk. :D

pulsch
08-11-04, 08:26 PM
Cool, I never would have though that would work. At least I won't be upset should they decide to add one anyway or if I buy something off the lot.

Were you happy with the results when you've done this?

Very happy.... used a regular wax product like Meguiars to cleanup the residue. I have asked dealers not to place their advertising on the vehicles I have purchased. Most "forgot". Learned how to remove the advetising by observing a salesman remove it.

caddieboy
08-11-04, 08:45 PM
Very happy.... used a regular wax product like Meguiars to cleanup the residue. I have asked dealers not to place their advertising on the vehicles I have purchased. Most "forgot". Learned how to remove the advetising by observing a salesman remove it.

Cool dude! You've made me very happy! This is great useful information. I imagine a bunch of people out there will be taking theirs off with your helpful tip.

Killrwheels
08-11-04, 09:24 PM
another simple removal tool is fish line or dental floss. It cuts through the sticky so badge comes off without damage. Then a little Wd40 and the rest of the residue is gone !

caddieboy
08-11-04, 11:56 PM
another simple removal tool is fish line or dental floss. It cuts through the sticky so badge comes off without damage. Then a little Wd40 and the rest of the residue is gone !

Another great tip! Thanks!

Jon
08-12-04, 12:37 AM
Tell the dealer not to put it on. We told them not to and they didn't.

Sandy
08-12-04, 10:27 AM
Easiest way is this:
When (if it's an ordered car) it's like 4 weeks into the waiting period, call your salesman and ask him to please telephone you the day the car arrives. Hope that it's not the 12 hour day he is "off" out of the 70 hours they work a week. If you bought out of stock, you'll have to work much faster.
Go to the actual car. Have a business card of your own? Good! No? Grab one from one of the salesmen there, along with some scotch tape.
Write ON the backside of the card, "NO DEALER TAG" and scotch tape it to the trunk !!
Otherwise......
A) Salesman forgets to tell clean up dept. NO STICKER
B) Guys in Clean Up Dept. Forget, or never understood the English in the 1st place.
C) Taking the necessary precautions yourself, is much better than relying upon 2 people to follow your desires. It eliminates two possibilities for error.

An ounce of prevention will save anger later on!

Here's an example of what CAN happen. When my new 2003 Town Car came in, my salesman knew I wanted it RIGHT A WAY. He told the get ready department to "GET THE BLOCK CAR DONE RIGHT AWAY" (My last name is Block).
When I arrived, my green Town Car was way out in the pasture of new inventory cars, and out in front all shiney & perfect was a BLACK one.
Black - Block
See, a simple misunderstanding.

kylerk
08-12-04, 01:48 PM
Tell the dealer not to put it on. We told them not to and they didn't.

I told my dealer I didn't want one. They did put one on anyway with something like rubber cement and it came right off with no problems. I took it off in front of the salesman and forced him to take the license plate frame off before I'd accept delivery. I hate being a pr*ck, but I hate people who don't listen worse.

ctsvett
08-12-04, 03:35 PM
That is why there is a pre-inspection by the customer in my opinion. I walked around my car and checked EVERYTHING before I drove it off the lot.

If there were holes in my bumper (front plate bracket) or tags that did not belong, dents, dull part of the paint, or ANYTHING, as far as I am concerned its not my car. Until I take delivery and I am satisfied with how the car looks, it's theirs.

Luckily, my salesman understood I am a "car guy" and even PREEMPTED me by telling me that they will not put the front plate bracket on, not logos, etc. For the little effort it took for the salesman to actually sell me the car (I was sold before I set foot on the lot) he should earn his comission by taking care of the details that matter to me (all mentioned above).

He did put a dealer plate frame on the back, but 2 screws later is was on my garage floor. I was satisfied when I drove off the lot.

My 5.7 Cents

CTSVETT
http://www.cadillacfaq.com

silver bullet
08-12-04, 08:52 PM
This must be a more common practice in the mid west and east and has allways bugged me. I see it a lot on out of state cars, not very common in Califonia at least not around LA I have never had a tag applied to any of the new cars I have bought, licence plate frame's yes.

teja2
08-13-04, 05:00 PM
LOL If they wanna pay me a monthly advertising fee... I would let them keep the crap on there... otherwise... I refuse to be some dealerships moving billboard.

I took the stickers off when I got home... and plate the frames came off in the dealership parking lot and I tossed them in my trunk. :D

My dad doesn't even wait to get out of the lot. He's out there ripping it off right away, if not stopping them before they start.

I know when I bought my first car in Maryland several years ago, there was actually a legal form that they sneak in that gives them permission to put it on the car, but I don't remember seeing in since then. The first car I bought was a special order, so I don't think they had time to add any dealer insignias, although that dealership was into the tag frames by then. I don't allow those on my car either - no advertising for free! :p

Balforth
08-19-04, 11:12 AM
I called my sales guy at home the day before delivery and told him to make sure it doesn't go on there. He said no prob., but I was very skeptical after reading this thread.

He pulled through, though. No sticker or big metal advertisement!
(Bommarito Cadillac / St. Louis)