Cadillac Owners Forum banner

"Engine Power Reduced" Throttle Body

19K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  carguy75 
#1 ·
My 03 Escalade has been doing this for a few months now. Start the car "Reduce Engine Power" and "Stability Service" comes on. Turn it off let it sit for a second everything is fine. Took it to the shop; code read Throttle body position sensor. There have been a few posts about this but no troubleshooting solution. I've read, cleaning wiring harness connections, wiring harness replacement, complete throttle body replacement, but no solid solutions. So if any one has had any luck fixing this problem, please share!

#2 ·
mpg0016, I am currently dealing with the same/similar on my '03. Same occasional issue and message. I checked the fault codes and got P0220, throttle pedal position sensor malfunction. I asked on one of the "answer" sites and a GM tech said that replacing the pedal sensor was straight forward but to also check wiring at throttle body for any wear etc., and check connections at pedal sensor. I haven't checked those yet but will post anything I find. From the way it happens I am leaning toward the pedal position sensor being the problem but not sure til I check further. Mine also clears with a few restarts.

#4 ·
Just wanted to let you know I replaced the Throttle BOdy, Tac module, wiring harness at the TB. it basically came down to the ignition switch module ACDelco 12450251 Ignition Switch. that or the wiring at the throttle or pedal sensor. dont get an aftermarket pedal sensor from DOORMAN . get a GM one. the aftermarket threw codes after i got the ignition switch, i put a GM oone its running fine for 2 days. cross my finger

#6 ·
HI I AM A MECANIC FOR 10 YEARS AND I GOT A CADILLAC CTS 2003.
I SEE ALOT A PEOPLE ON THIS SITE WHO TALK ABOUT THE (TPS).
AND SAID THE (TPS) IS INSIDE THE TROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY ON THE CADILLAC CTS 2003-2004.
ITS TOTALLY ROUGH THE (TPS) IS INSIDE THE (PPA) (PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)AND NOT INSIDE OR OUTSIDE FROM THE TROTTLE BODY.
IF THE (DTC) (DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE) SHOOT (TPS) SENSOR YOU BETTER CHANGE THE ALL COMPLETED GAS PEDAL.
THE BLACK MODULE ON THE SIDE HOV THE TROTTLE BODY CONTAIN ELECTRICAL COMPONENT.
(1 ELECTRICAL MOTOR 3 LITTLE GEARS AND 4 ELECTRIC RESISTOR) NO (TPS) ON THE TROTTLE.
THE (DTC) IS........
P0220 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch B Circ Error
P0221 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch B Circ Range/Perf
P0222 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch B Circ Lo Input
P0223 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch B Circ Hi Input
P0224 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch B Circ Interm
P0225 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch C Circ Error
P0226 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch C Circ Range/Perf
P0227 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch C Circ Lo Input
P0228 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch C Circ Hi Input
P0229 Throttle Pos Sensor/Switch C Circ Interm

ALL IS ABOUT A BAD (PPA) OR BAD WIRERING DON T FORGET.
IF YOU FIX THE (PPA-TPS) AND NOTING CHANGE. ITS PROBABLY THE TROTTLE LOW VOLTAGE READING OR BAD WIRERING HARNEST.
AND THE WORST CASE IS (ECM) CAR COMPUTER.

THE (DTC) CODE FOR THE TROTTLEL IS.....
P0219 Throttle Sw B Circ Error/Eng Over speed Condition.
IF THIS APPEN TO YOU CHANGE THE COMPLITED TROTTLE ASEMBLY AFTER YOU ALLREADY FIX THE (PPA)PEDAL POSITION SENSOR.
YOUR PROBLEME STILL SEND THEM TO THE DEALER AND SAID TO THE MECANIC CHECK WIRE AND (ECM)

NEED HELP JUST ASK.

#7 ·
AND SAID THE (TPS) IS INSIDE THE TROTTLE BODY ASSEMBLY ON THE CADILLAC CTS 2003-2004.
ITS TOTALLY ROUGH THE (TPS) IS INSIDE THE (PPA) (PEDAL POSITION SENSOR)AND NOT INSIDE OR OUTSIDE FROM THE TROTTLE BODY.
IF THE (DTC) (DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE) SHOOT (TPS) SENSOR YOU BETTER CHANGE THE ALL COMPLETED GAS PEDAL.
(1 ELECTRICAL MOTOR 3 LITTLE GEARS AND 4 ELECTRIC RESISTOR) NO (TPS) ON THE TROTTLE.
THE (DTC) IS........

IF YOU FIX THE (PPA-TPS) AND NOTING CHANGE. ITS PROBABLY THE TROTTLE LOW VOLTAGE READING OR BAD WIRERING HARNEST.

IF THIS APPEN TO YOU CHANGE THE COMPLITED TROTTLE ASEMBLY AFTER YOU ALLREADY FIX THE (PPA)PEDAL POSITION SENSOR.
YOUR PROBLEME STILL SEND THEM TO THE DEALER AND SAID TO THE MECANIC CHECK WIRE AND (ECM)

NEED HELP JUST ASK.

#8 ·
q.c.cadi.cts said:
THE (DTC) IS........

NEED HELP JUST ASK.
You have a car not a truck they are not the same I have went through a issue with my PCM failing and it showed the tps near 100% yet the throttle body did nothing.
I luckly had the PCM fail while I was in a parking lot and thankfully not on the interstate
Also while I am not a betting man but I am almost whilling to bet the you don't know that under certain conditions the PCM will show the reduced engine power but shutdown and disable the engine and starter
The cause of the failure was the data controller on the PCM to the tcm had failed taking down the data network in my truck which kept the tech-2 from connecting but my code reader would work just fine.
It shocked my service manager at my dealer that I knew exactly what was wrong with my truck before he even tried the tech-2 which couldn't help since the PCM network was down for it,
Four days later and a few hundred bucks my truck was back to me running better then it did before the PCM failed.
I have video proof and pictures to show you this the truck acted if you think I am lying to you(I will gladly email them to you)
Plus the drive by wire system uses two sensors in one package for the pedal and three sensors in the throttle body because when you press down on the pedal it sends a signal to the tcm to tell the PCM to adjust the throttle plate position but if the data bus that is just for this fails the throttle body won't get the signal form the PCM because it can't read the pedal position sensor.
P.s I have a full list of all the codes gm uses even the ones my code reader can't read.

#13 ·
Wrong forum, but the LS engines usually have the same problem more or less. What is the issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.