: Shutter in Transmission (4L60-E)

hearseman
01-16-10, 11:46 AM
In another thread, I was concerned about a shutter felt in my car ('96 FW)when taking off in first gear. I thought it might be an engine miss but, after talking to a technician, I was told that these transmissions had a shutter issue, soemthing to do with a planetary gear or soemthing. Anyway, he told me that alot of time, servicing the transmission will cure the problem. he said that the filter gets clogged and caused the shutter. Anyone ever heard of this? At 85K mikes, I am sure a transmission service will not hurt anything anyway. He has a machine that will flush the entire system. Thanks, Cliff

HUF
01-16-10, 03:38 PM
It may be stuck open EGR valve as well. Eliminate the easy stuff first.

Lazarus_Rooney
01-16-10, 06:04 PM
my roadmaster estate with the same transmission and symptoms just had the lower transmission cooler line replaced and it helped it out a lot. the tranny lines are connected together with cheap metal crimps and mine were leaking badly before i noticed anything.

drmenard
01-16-10, 07:10 PM
I would never get a transmission flush..

csbuckn
01-16-10, 08:18 PM
It would be interesting to see if a GM tranny could handle a flush at 85K. Unfortunately, I dont think a tranny flush is gonna fix the problem. When its in gear, its in gear, unless it slips from lack of fluid or mechanical failure. I dont think it would shutter. I'm still stuck on the EGR also, it opens at take off to recycle wasted useful gases. Vacuum signals open the EGR so if its not opening, the computer will read an incorrect vacuum from the MAP sensor setting the check engine code. If it were me, I would try to get an EGR from thefleetwoodguy and, if its pricey, see if he has a return policy. Lazarus had his problem because of low fluid from a leak, if your fluid is at the right level and it doesnt smell really really burnt. I could be wrong and hopefully Sven will correct me but I think your going down the wrong street. You could put it in neutral and hit the gas kinda hard to see if it does it then.

N0DIH
01-16-10, 08:31 PM
Shudder is either ignition related (very common) or trans. I have been successful at PCM tuning the trans for issues with it.

Try this, when it sudders, apply the brake slightly, enough to trigger the TCC to unlock, see if it goes away.

A TransGo HD2 kit will fix it if is the latter. It disables the PWM TCC that was brand new in 1995.