: 3 Flash with Lane-Change/Turn Signal

Isodad
01-16-10, 10:23 AM
Hi All,

In the manual for my 2009 STS V it states on page 3-8 to "Raise or lower the lever until the arrow starts to flash to signal a lane change." Then "The arrow will automatically flash three times."
I drove a Chevy Tahoe, a BMW, and an Audi that did this and I really like that feature. My V will only flash while I hold the lever. The manual suggests that my V should do the same but my dealer can't figure it out at this time. Any suggestions?

inurok
01-19-10, 12:26 AM
Nice that the 2009 has that feature cause the 2006 does not. Heck I was really dissapointed to find it missing since the 2003 BMW 745i Sport I had sported that feature. Actually that BMW being 3 years older still has alot of features the STS lacks. I wish we had a speed alarm as well but i do like the blinker reminder on the STS. I had it on my 1995 continental so its nice to have it again.

Isodad
01-19-10, 01:53 AM
The speed alarm is included in the HUD on the 08 & 09's I believe, as mine has it. Wish I could make my 3 flash lane change work though.
Certainly the blinker warning is nice. Again the HUD is great as you see the blinkers in there as well and is hard to miss.

Gusteve
01-20-10, 12:09 PM
The speed alarm is included in the HUD on the 08 & 09's I believe, as mine has it.

???? Speed alarm ????? How does that work?

Isodad
01-21-10, 04:15 PM
???? Speed alarm ????? How does that work?

On the '09 with HUD, you have to have the HUD "Speed Advisor" switched to "on" and then select the "Speed Alert" to either "Limit", "+5", or "+10". The limit is via the Speed Advisor that gets its information from the map disc & nav system. Based on the map disc there are segments of roads (Freeways etc) that have speed data which can be displayed like a mini MPH sign below the actual MPH. In my brief experience (just over 2 months & 1,700 miles) with the V, I have noticed the speed data to be very accurate. It's almost spooky as it even displays the on-ramp or off-ramp speeds.
So if you set the Speed Alert at "Limit", the HUD's MPH will turn from green to red when you exceed the limit. If set to +5 the MPH will change from green to yellow between the limit and +5. When you exceed +5 the MPH will be displayed in red. +10 works in a similar fashion.

Concerning my original question: Does anyone in a STS have the lane change feature where you tap the signal lever and the signals blink 3 times?

Gusteve
01-21-10, 07:57 PM
That sounds awesome. I have an '08 so I suppose that's why I never heard of it. Darn it.

Re: 3 blinks - my car doesn't do that.

Isodad
01-22-10, 12:53 PM
That sounds awesome. I have an '08 so I suppose that's why I never heard of it. Darn it.

Re: 3 blinks - my car doesn't do that.

I was under the impression that both 08 & 09 had the HUD. Am I incorrect?

pj96ss
01-22-10, 02:13 PM
I downloaded both the 2008/2009 owners manuals. The 2009 manual has all the info about the speed advisor but the 2008 manual does not. The 2009 manual states that speed advisor is available on HUD capable vehicles. I'll check my 2008 tonight.

P.J.

Gusteve
01-22-10, 03:31 PM
I was under the impression that both 08 & 09 had the HUD. Am I incorrect?

You are correct - both years have HUD.

I wonder if the Speed Alert is available for an '08 through some kind of firmware upgrade and an '09 set of NAV discs or something.

pj96ss
01-25-10, 09:17 AM
I checked out the speed advisor this weekend on my 08. Must be an 09 thing only. The 08 owners manual doesn't say anything about it either.

P.J.

Isodad
01-25-10, 11:53 AM
I checked out the speed advisor this weekend on my 08. Must be an 09 thing only. The 08 owners manual doesn't say anything about it either.

P.J.

Very interesting. Gotta admit, the speed advisor is pretty amusing.
The speed alert is definitely a step up from the speed alerts that I remember from my dad's deuce and a quarter days!

BMBSALES
03-12-10, 11:26 AM
Very interesting. Gotta admit, the speed advisor is pretty amusing.
The speed alert is definitely a step up from the speed alerts that I remember from my dad's deuce and a quarter days!

i love this picture for alot of reasons:histeric: