: Advice on engine teardown TOMORROW

bigds01
01-16-10, 08:52 AM
Hey,

So thanks to the advice on the site I will have the engine dropped tomorrow morning. Total time 6 hours (there were 3 of us).

We want to get the hg job done tomorrow. Should I just follow the teardown directions in the service manual? Other then the pully puller, and the waterpump tool are they any (and I mean ANY) other special tools I should have (torque guide?)?

Any advice would really help.

cl1986
01-16-10, 12:22 PM
i thought you were doing this in 2 days about a month ago?? (ya so did i LOL)

i cant comment on the top of the engine, but if you need a new rear main, that does not require a tool, it just pushes in.

my crank pully came right off even with a cheap 3 jaw puller, reused front cover gasket and front main (still really soft)

i dont think you are pulling the pan or half case right?? if you do the EN alignment pins do actually work quite well.

the problem is when you find parts that arnt stocked anywhere, then you have to wait.

thats all i know, good luck!!

YueIBM
01-16-10, 12:57 PM
You might want to get some tough PVC pipes that go over your ratchets / wrenches, to get enough torque on the cam sprocket bolts. They were very difficult for me to remove even after turning my wrenches into 3-foot breaker bars with the pipes.

Be sure you and the other person coordinate well, or rest the camshaft wrench on a solid surface to avoid stretching or breaking the chains as you take off the big cam sprocket bolt.

Also, do you have fuel line disconnects? ...unless you plan to hang the intake under the hood.

Good quality tools are invaluable. I rounded out two 10mm sockets before I bought a Craftsman one that didn't even get nicked.

Good luck!!!

bigds01
01-16-10, 06:02 PM
We actually didn't start on the engine until last week. We spent a day doing the brakes first.

tateos
01-18-10, 01:09 PM
You might want to get some tough PVC pipes that go over your ratchets / wrenches, to get enough torque on the cam sprocket bolts. They were very difficult for me to remove even after turning my wrenches into 3-foot breaker bars with the pipes.

Be sure you and the other person coordinate well, or rest the camshaft wrench on a solid surface to avoid stretching or breaking the chains as you take off the big cam sprocket bolt.

Also, do you have fuel line disconnects? ...unless you plan to hang the intake under the hood.

Good quality tools are invaluable. I rounded out two 10mm sockets before I bought a Craftsman one that didn't even get nicked.

Good luck!!!

Camshaft drive sprocket bolts were easy for me to remove - I think they are only tightened to around 75-90 ft pounds. Remember, there is a hex cast into the cam to fit an open end wrench on to hold the cam.

The bolt that was REALLY hard for me to get off was the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer bolt - that was the one that required a 2 foot breaker bar with 3 foot pipe on it!

bigds01
01-18-10, 03:19 PM
We applied a little heat to the harmonic bolt, 2' breaker bar, and two fat asses (I was one), took about 5 minutes to crack it.

buggin123
01-18-10, 04:41 PM
I wonder if anyone else uses an impact wrench to pull fastners when breaking down an engine?

tateos
01-18-10, 06:34 PM
I used an Ingersoll Rand impact wrench with no success. I also used one fat ass (mine), but I guess the secret is to get two fat asses - the other ass helping me at the time was a skinny melink

bigds01
01-18-10, 08:27 PM
I used an Ingersoll Rand impact wrench with no success. I also used one fat ass (mine), but I guess the secret is to get two fat asses - the other ass helping me at the time was a skinny melink

We used your idea to heat up the bolt for a second. 500 pounds of lard later, it broke quickly

cl1986
01-18-10, 08:31 PM
my ingersol 1000ft lb impact took the crank pully bolt right out with about 10 hits on it.