: 2008 sts v suspension/ride

torched10
01-15-10, 10:35 AM
Bought an STS V (2008) 3 months ago,and i really dont like the ride.Extreely rough>i have a vette and a new Shelby, and the STS V is much stiffer and hard, it just doenst have any cushion to it when going over even small bumps.I also have an EXT and its ride is 10times better.Is this normal for this car,or do you guys think something is amiss.I know STS has the same computer controlled shocks as the EXT and Im wondering if theyre working correctly.Thanks for any input

Redxped1
01-15-10, 12:27 PM
The sts-v does not have computer controlled shocks. My car is lowerd dosent have a harsh ride at all and do you still have the stock runflats?

flyingv
01-15-10, 12:43 PM
Redxped1 is right, our cars do not have electronic shocks. The rear shocks are nivomat ride height adjusting, which is all done internally and hydraulically. Getting rid of the run flats will help tremendously. Also be weary of lowering springs on the STS-V. I made the mistake of buying D3's 1st generation lowering springs and now have 2 bent front fender lips, and a rear that won't lower because of the shocks. All with stock tire sizes. Try searching nivomat lowering in the CTS-V forum if you are curious. It is a great car, don't get me wrong, but the lack of an aftermarket community (1 vendor) sure limits our options.

LITTLEELVISDAN
01-15-10, 12:49 PM
No way a STS-V is harsher than a Vette or Shelby. Something is amiss. My STS-V is lowered (30% stiffer than stock) and I have no problems with the ride. Stock suspension should a little stiffer than a normal STS but no where near a Vette.

csf
01-15-10, 02:31 PM
I bought my 07 with 19,000 miles on it around Thanksgiving. I was also very upset with the ride of the car. Then I replaced the OEM Pirelli summer runflats with a set of Bridgestone high performance all-season tires (not runflats) and it changed the ride of the car completely. Then I researched those Pirellis and foud out they are pretty much universally hated - perhaps one of the worst tires on the market. If your car has those Pirellis on it, consider changing to a non-runflat tire. I'm sure the car is fine and its just the tires. Good luck.

Craig

(ps it still doesn't ride as smooth as my SUV - but it still rides much better and quieter now)

torched10
01-15-10, 03:29 PM
thanks--yes it doesn have brand new Pirelli runflats.I have runflats on the Vette and theyre fine,but they are Goodyears.The car only has 18,000 miles so Id think the shocks/struts would be fine.Man i wouldnt think the Pirellis would make that much of a diffrence.I had a similar problem with a Jag Super V8 and the front struts were shot at 12,000 miles.Ill bring it in to avery good suspnsion place here in Atl and see what they say.If its the tires,what ones do you guys like?/Feel a little naked running a car w/o a spare with regular tires.

PGA2B
01-15-10, 07:14 PM
First you will need to identify if you want All Season or High Performance (Summer) tires. Because of our tire size the choices are limited and if you want to go runflat they get even slimmer.

csf
01-15-10, 10:41 PM
Looking at Tire Rack there were only 16 choices for our car that come in the matched front and back OEM sizes.

I needed all seasons in Maryland because we do get below freezing and some snow through the winter. I bought the Bridgestones, which were a compromise between the more expensive Michelins and the less expensive Continentals. I'm very pleased with them.

But in Atlanta I doubt you need all seasons, and there are several summer high performance tire choices. I think only Pirelli offers runflat right now. From what I read the Michelin tires probably offer the best performance and ride - if price is no object.

I'm not thrilled with no spare - but the runflats on our car are so unusual that no one stocks them anyway. I'm looking into carrying a full size spare in the trunk or just relying on Cadillac roadside assistance until the warranty is up.

Good luck.

torched10
01-16-10, 12:38 PM
thanks again for the info.As i said the car has 18K miles--after looking for sveral months,and at the pint of buying a STS,while i was doing a VIN check,it popped up there was a n STS V right here in Atl.It was black/black,which im not thrilled with (very hard to keep clean), but it was just about new,no wear,scratches etc,so after some haggling for it for 43K--it had the origanl window sticker at 83K so good deal to me.Bought it thru a good dealer,and got the caddy certifed car included.I saw seveal V cars in RI,but didnt like the colors.Im a performance guy, and so is my wife--she thinks the car rides fine,but its killing my back--so i drive the EXT and Shelby basically.Ill post again after i get it checked--oh,one more thing,after a couple weeks,the car "stalled" on making a right turn.Itd didtstop running,an electricals worked fine,but it went 100ft and took 3 minutes,before i could pull it in to a parking lot.Turned it off and after starting it was fine.I made a big stink at the dealer afetr stressing to them how dangerous it was, and they contacted the Caddy engineers in Detroit for a fix.They figure it was in the TC system,and replaced a cable and re-flashed te computer.Its been fine since

csf
01-17-10, 01:08 PM
thanks again for the info.As i said the car has 18K miles--after looking for sveral months,and at the pint of buying a STS,while i was doing a VIN check,it popped up there was a n STS V right here in Atl.It was black/black,which im not thrilled with (very hard to keep clean), but it was just about new,no wear,scratches etc,so after some haggling for it for 43K--it had the origanl window sticker at 83K so good deal to me.Bought it thru a good dealer,and got the caddy certifed car included.I saw seveal V cars in RI,but didnt like the colors.Im a performance guy, and so is my wife--she thinks the car rides fine,but its killing my back--so i drive the EXT and Shelby basically.Ill post again after i get it checked--oh,one more thing,after a couple weeks,the car "stalled" on making a right turn.Itd didtstop running,an electricals worked fine,but it went 100ft and took 3 minutes,before i could pull it in to a parking lot.Turned it off and after starting it was fine.I made a big stink at the dealer afetr stressing to them how dangerous it was, and they contacted the Caddy engineers in Detroit for a fix.They figure it was in the TC system,and replaced a cable and re-flashed te computer.Its been fine sinceGood luck with it. Don't know about the stalling, but I traded in an 05 GTO for this V and the seats in the GTO were more comfortable for my back - regardless of the tires. In fact I'm still looking for the "perfect" position for the drivers seat. Other than that I'm really liking the car. I also like performance, but I like to drive cars that you don't see on every corner or at every red light. This is definitely one of those cars. (I just hope its not too rare to get parts if I need them!)