: Need some info/help

outsider
01-15-10, 10:27 AM
Ever since I got my '87 the check engine light would come on from time to time. I ran the codes and it was always the same thing, TPS. (Throttle Position Sensor)

Well lately (last week or so) the check engine light is on every time I idle, and my idle seems high than usual.

I know I need a new TPS, does anyone know where I can order one from?

Also, and this just happened today, I let my car warm up in the morning but then I had to shut it off to get my house key and lock my door. When I went to shut it off, the thing dieseled a little. I had to turn the key back to run and give it a little gas to slow the idle, then it shut off fine.

Questions:

1: Could the TPS be responsible for all of that? If not, then what else should I look at?

2: Anyone know a good source to get a TPS? :highfive:

csbuckn
01-15-10, 10:56 AM
The TPS could be the issue with both problems. Rockauto.com has the sensor for $30. Are all the hoses good?

outsider
01-15-10, 11:08 AM
Thanks man.
Yeah all the hoses are good...I'm going to order the TPS from rock auto and hopefully that will do the trick :)

csbuckn
01-15-10, 11:15 AM
Good luck, are you fimiliar with carbs? because you have to take the top off.

outsider
01-15-10, 11:46 AM
nope, not familiar with carbs very much but I have a Haynes manual (I know...shitty, but I was in a jam and needed a manual quick) so I should be able to figure it out. Any tips?

sven914
01-15-10, 12:25 PM
I can give you the correct factory procedure in about 4 hours...

outsider
01-15-10, 12:43 PM
sounds good, I just ordered the part from rockauto.com hopefully driving my car like this until the part comes in won't do any damage. I doubt it, because the TPS was dying long before now, just now it's getting worse.

Thanks for all the help and info guys :)

sven914
01-15-10, 05:13 PM
The procedure is as follows:

1. Disconnect the TPS and M/C solenoid electrical connectors.
2. Remove the air horn assembly

Remove the primary side vacuum break hose
Remove Secondary metering rod holder attaching screw, holder, and metering rods
Remove Choke lever attaching screw and choke lever
Remove Choke link (pull up on link and hold intermediate choke lever outward with screw driver; twist link from lever
Remove Pump link retainer and pump link (do not remove the lever)
Remove Air horn screws and air horn baffle
Remove Air horn assembly
Invert the assembly and remove the TPS actuator plunger
Remove the solenoid adjusting plug with a center punch
Remove the float bowl gasket and discard
Remove the pump assembly (if necessary; I've never stripped a Rochester)

3. Remove the TPS

Installation is as follows:

1. Inspect the TPS wires
2. Make sure the TPS adjusting spring is located in the sensor cavity in float bowl
3 Install the TPS (push down on the connector and sensor assembly so that the connector and wires are below the bowl casting surface)
4. Install the air horn assembly
5. Reconnect the M/C and TPS

outsider
01-20-10, 04:42 PM
Thanks for that.

The TPS came in the mail yesterday but we're in the middle of another fabulous maine winter storm so I haven't been able to get outside and do the job. Do have a question though...

In the instruction sheet that came with the TPS it says to discard the "float bowl gasket" and replace with a new one. I didn't know I would need to do that so I didn't order a new one. How critical is it to replace that and do you know the price (roughly)? Looked on rockauto but couldn't find float bowl gasket anywhere.

outsider
01-21-10, 01:11 PM
Anyone know if this is the gasket I need?

http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=CRB27702_0064934674&An=599001+101987+50010+2010003

outsider
01-21-10, 01:11 PM
Anyone know if this is the gasket I need?

http://napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=CRB27702_0064934674&An=599001+101987+50010+2010003