: 2000 DHS engine swap

AlanHall
01-14-10, 05:02 PM
Hi everyone.. im new here and looking to join this cadillac family soon :bouncy:
i have been reading around alot the past day or so and i read a mention of a check list for dropping the northstar but i cant seem to find it ?

heres what i have going on... im looking into a 2000 DHS, it "needs an engine" i havent even popped the hood to see what exactly is up yet. it needs a little lovin and a little de-ghetto work done, has some 22 inch rims that i plan to swap for another set of the same size.. but anyway i can get the car for 1200 through the loan company who repoed it or about 1000 in cash... im thinking its a decent deal?? since the wheels alone would bring me half my $$ back..
i guess im just looking for some DOs and DONTs for changing this engine.. from what im reading it seems like a good idea to do the head bolts why is apart, but what about the tranny in these cars? i have no way to drive and tell if the trannys bad.. are they pretty realiable units ? or should i invest during the swap? anything i should mess with while its apart? or anything input on the whole deal ??
i dont have big $$ , but ive wanted one of these cars for a long long time now and this is a chance for me to slowly get into one.. seems like i can get a decent used engine for around 1100 shipped (90k) to about 1400 shipped (40-60k) so im thinking i can have this car on the street for under 3k.. thanks in advanced!!

Ranger
01-14-10, 09:10 PM
Transmissions are pretty reliable. If you do pull the heads, you need to either insert the threads or use studs. DO NOT be tempted to just replace the gaskets and reuse the bolts unless you enjoy doing the job, because you'll be doing it again.

Submariner409
01-15-10, 08:51 AM
"Needs a new engine" and "de-ghetto" are two terms which = big money. A LOT more than $3,000. The 22" wheels alone have probably ruined most of the suspension components already (unless the car was carefully aligned and driven), so that's a minimum of $1800 to rebuild, not including new wheels and tires. If the tires fitted to the 22's are not of the same outside diameter as original stock, then the transmission and brakes may have been subjected to abnormal wear.

......that's just for starters.

You would be better off sitting tight and watching the classifieds for a 2000+ DHS or DTS driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.........:sneaky:

AlanHall
01-15-10, 11:57 AM
"Needs a new engine" and "de-ghetto" are two terms which = big money. A LOT more than $3,000. The 22" wheels alone have probably ruined most of the suspension components already (unless the car was carefully aligned and driven), so that's a minimum of $1800 to rebuild, not including new wheels and tires. If the tires fitted to the 22's are not of the same outside diameter as original stock, then the transmission and brakes may have been subjected to abnormal wear.

......that's just for starters.

You would be better off sitting tight and watching the classifieds for a 2000+ DHS or DTS driven to church on Sundays by a little old lady.........:sneaky:

Man your a big help around these forums I've noticed.. But I expected a little more on my questions.
I'm putting 22s back on the car.. So ill play all that by ear,And I surely ant sinking 1800 into any suspension,I think a total rebuild on the suspension is a bit over kill. I'm not looking at this car only cause its cheap.. Its because I can afford to get it.. Put cash here and there away for another engine slowly and get it on street..if I could afford the little old ladys cadi for 5 or 6k then I'd surely go that route
... I'm really just hunting useful info to prepare for the engine swap..

cl1986
01-16-10, 11:14 AM
The transmissions are pretty stout.

sounds like way too much for a used engine at $1400, you should be able to find a wrecked car for that much with good engine in tact.

i wouldnt worry anything about the larger wheels, but please put smaller ones back on, at least down to 20's, id go 18's

I cant really say for the 2000, but heres is the 90's N* removal steps...

post # 21

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/187055-pull-tranny-fix-half-case-leak-2.html

AlanHall
01-18-10, 03:54 PM
Thanks.. I'm surely sticking with 22s.. 20s don't fit the shape of the wheel well good enough.. Where's a good place to hunt down an engine..besides a a friend back in STL ,ebays been the cheapest

cl1986
01-21-10, 10:45 PM
where are you at?? Theres one here on craigslist with 55,000, whole cradle for $950, guy says he bought from a wrecked car and planned on making a vehicle to go around it, then changed his mind to differnt motor