: Cylinder misfire? What should I do? Need advice...

durrk johnson
01-14-10, 05:52 PM
Hey guys...

I just got back from the place i got my coolant flushed at, because my check engine light is still on... The guy ran codes and the codes were PO300 and P0301.

I called this place called "the caddy shop" at my house and they said it was Cylinder Misfire. I told them I would bring it in tomorrow...

How could this have happened? And what should I do until I bring it in? This place is half-way across town and I have a hot date thats also across town tonight and work tomorrow morning aswell. Should I not drive my car tonight and tomorrow?

Jeez, Im really stressing now. My car was fine yesterday until I brought it in to get the coolant flushed. Help? And I didnt see any of these codes in the onboard diagnostics by the way. The only codes there were 43, 143, 144 in the "01" channel and 126 in the "02" channel.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 06:10 PM
Could be that they got the opi-spark wet. Maybe they sloshed some coolant when flushing, and hosed down the engine bay to clean it up. How old are the plugs and wires? Old spark plug wires can sometimes "leak" electricity if they find a path of lesser resistance. Good Luck Durrk!

jey
01-14-10, 06:21 PM
Could be a one-time occurance. If you have a constant misfire you'll probably notice it skipping a little at idle and a decrease in power and you can hear it if you put your head close to the exhaust. Obviously it's not as critical on a V8 - I drove mine around on 7 just fine for a while until I could get the plug that got fouled up replaced.

sven914
01-14-10, 06:29 PM
'96 was the first year for OBD-II, and they had a lot of problems with the cars and misfires. The government regulations were too strict and the sensors were made too sensitive. Those first year cars would throw codes if you looked at them wrong. GM did a recall to fix the problem, but the systems are still very touchy.

durrk johnson
01-14-10, 08:21 PM
So you think its okay to drive until tomorrow?

jayoldschool
01-14-10, 09:10 PM
They probably soaked the opti with coolant. Drive it lots to get it dried out. You could change the opti vent harness, too, in order to make sure that it is getting proper vacuum to keep it dry.

Cadillacboy
01-15-10, 01:15 PM
Once I was getting PCM 301 and PCM 304 . 304 means #4 cylinder is bad . Despite low mileage (bear in mind Opti Spark should be good for 100K miles ) we replaced all the spark plugs as well as spark wires .Then the problem has been solved since replacement :)

durrk johnson
01-15-10, 04:08 PM
Okay guys, thanks for the comments... i took it to a place in my city called "The Caddy Shop" that only services Cadillacs 96' and up...

I told him about the problem and the codes... He is going to take a look and get back to me...

He also said that the kid that reset the codes shouldnt have did that because he deleted any old codes that would have came up in the cars history. :/

Stingroo
01-15-10, 04:14 PM
I think that place would be much cooler if it were named The Caddy Shack.

Just for the record.

durrk johnson
01-18-10, 10:27 PM
Okay guys... Im kinda in the shit now because I had to borrrow some money from my parents...

The guy calls me back and tells me its going to be 1200$ for everything that needs to get done...

He says,

500$ for Plugs & Wires...
300$ for Distributor Cap and Rotor...
400$ for Fuel Pump...

I called around to get quotes and a Cadillac dealership said that they would chardge me 1100$ for just the tuneup, plus & wires, without the Cap...

So I figured it was a good price and did it... What should I expect from these changes made... he said there were original plugs & wires, and distributor cap on it. he also said I had a weak fuel pump which was causing the late starts.... I should have the car back within a few days... Jeez.

Stingroo
01-18-10, 10:41 PM
$500 for plugs and wires? What the ****?

durrk johnson
01-18-10, 10:43 PM
^^^Thats what I thought! I thought the fuel pump sounded right, but the 800 for the plugs, wires and distibutor cap didnt.

HUF
01-18-10, 11:04 PM
Okay guys... Im kinda in the shit now because I had to borrrow some money from my parents...

The guy calls me back and tells me its going to be 1200$ for everything that needs to get done...

He says,

500$ for Plugs & Wires...
300$ for Distributor Cap and Rotor...
400$ for Fuel Pump...

I called around to get quotes and a Cadillac dealership said that they would chardge me 1100$ for just the tuneup, plus & wires, without the Cap...

So I figured it was a good price and did it... What should I expect from these changes made... he said there were original plugs & wires, and distributor cap on it. he also said I had a weak fuel pump which was causing the late starts.... Jeez.
If you do all those replacement yourself, it would cost you probably some $600. But I am not sure you NEED to do that! Throwing parts to fix isses is not a cost-effective way to address them. Do not want to sound like a mentor but have to say it again "Do not buy a used Cadillac if you cannot take care of it yourself". You could flush the cooling system yourself and avoid new problems the people who did the job added.

durrk johnson
01-18-10, 11:07 PM
..... oops double post!

durrk johnson
01-18-10, 11:08 PM
Heyyy, Yeah, I understand....

But, I dont have the knowledge or tools to do those kinds of jobs, nor do I have a garage, and its winter outside... Not to give exuses... but yeah. :/

HUF
01-18-10, 11:15 PM
Heyyy, Yeah, I understand....

But, I dont have the knowledge or tools to do those kinds of jobs, nor do I have a garage, and its winter outside... Not to give exuses... but yeah. :/

It is never late to learn! And the only way to learn is doing the job yourself. It is better to invest in nice sets of tools than pay guys who do not really care to fix your car... Winter is bad... I understand that.

durrk johnson
01-23-10, 01:45 PM
I just found out from the previous owner that he had a new fuelpump and sending unit installed before he sold the car to me...

Which means these *******s charged me for a new fuelpump, because "I had a weak fuel pump which was causing my late starting" for no reason... My car doesnt really seem like it just got a tune up and fuel pump. I called them about this before I even found this out, because my cars is still having late starting intermittently and they told me to bring it in to take a look on wedsday, but "everything checked out" he said.
Then i just find out that they installed a fuel pump for no reason, and now Im pissed. also the fact that this fuel pump kinda feels like it sucks. If I barely press the gas, (I like to baby my car) it acts all shady. Like when Im coming to a light and its red and Im about to slow, but then it turns green and I push the gas, it feels like a lemon getting squeezed for a split second and then my car will accelerate.

So you were right, they were just throwing parts at a problem... And to think I thought since these guys only worked on caddies that i would be good. Jeez.