: Driver cleared of death crash while watching DVD

Balforth
08-11-04, 02:57 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/08/10/dvd.deaths.ap/index.html

T_Dogg8
08-11-04, 03:32 PM
sounds like it was his fault, but at the same time, he didn't break a law except careless driving maybe.

Ralph
08-11-04, 03:36 PM
sounds like it was his fault, but at the same time, he didn't break a law except careless driving maybe.

Reaching for a drink, on a cell phone, putting makeup on, dropped a cigarette, watching a movie, driving under the influence, what's the difference? Arent you supposed to be punnished for careless driving? What kind of message does this sent to careless people with no remorse? Isn't careless driving that causes death punnishable down there?!

caddieboy
08-11-04, 04:09 PM
Reaching for a drink, on a cell phone, putting makeup on, dropped a cigarette, watching a movie, driving under the influence, what's the difference? Arent you supposed to be punnished for careless driving? What kind of message does this sent to careless people with no remorse? Isn't careless driving that causes death punnishable down there?!

Even if they get off, I'm sure their conscience will be heavy knowing they could have prevented a death. Same goes to anyone who overrides their DVD and the result is any kind of accident. Hopefully this will get people to rally and make it a law, just as they're doing with cell phones in many parts of Canada.

T_Dogg8
08-11-04, 04:46 PM
i think devices are being scapegoated. i don't think you should watch a dvd while driving (for obvious reasons) but i think cell phones are taking a bigger hit than they should. is using a hands-free device that much better?? i'm not distracted by holding the phone, i get distracted from talking, which i still do with a hands free device. i think people need to take responsiblity for what they do instead of blaming it on a device.

greyghost04
08-11-04, 06:23 PM
I used to love talking on the phone in my car. I've come to realize over the many years, how poor my concentration is while on the phone. Doesn't matter if it's hands-free either. I rarely initiate a call while driving now. I'll wait till I get to the mall or where-ever to make a call. While this rule is not 100%, I feel I'm moving in the right direction.

Wilbee50
08-12-04, 02:34 PM
That moron should have had his drivers license suspended for life and a significant prison term.