: How would you take/understand this?

JamesC
01-14-10, 03:07 PM
Boy it's been awhile since I've posted anything here! I won't waste room here on an update, I guess if you REALLY want to know you can message me...

Only update I will include is that I have actually been driving my good ol' Caddy throughout winter *ducks in preparation to being hit* ... it's my only vehicle! I have been making sure of washing the body and undercarriage for sure and clearing off snow (which has not been a whole lot)... and it's been great. Even started quickly in the morning when it was only 10 and even 5 degrees! Anyway...

About my subject... okay I'm going to college and recently I have noticed (within the last two weeks) a quite nice, light blue 1990 to 1992 Cadillac Brougham parked usually a little ways from everyone else (owned by a fellow student) and by the time I'm out of class it is always gone. So I decided to park next to it today.

When I came back out today (after about 4 hours), it was gone of course, but my hood emblem was slightly turned. I can only assume the owner of the other Cadillac did it. I can't say for sure, but we both were parked away from anyone so I don't think anyone else would have accidentally bumped into it and my front in was facing the parking lot, not the sidewalk.

In our "Cadillac World" here is that a sign of anything, turning another's hood emblem? Sign of Caddy "fellowship" or resentment for parking near him or her? Sorry if this is somewhat of a waste, I'm just curious. How would you all take that if it was indeed the other Cadillac owner?

[Heck, maybe the owner is even here on the forum? *shrugs* I dunno]

outsider
01-14-10, 03:25 PM
heh...never heard of that. I know I would consider it a sign of disrespect to lay hand on someone else's caddy without knowing them.

That being said...maybe they were looking at your hood ornament or something...dunno.

JamesC
01-14-10, 03:29 PM
What's to look at? Ha, if indeed the other owner they had one of their own in nice shape. :P

Stingroo
01-14-10, 03:31 PM
Aw man, updates are always good! How's school and what not? :D

JamesC
01-14-10, 03:46 PM
Aw man, updates are always good! How's school and what not? :D

Okay I guess I will share. It's been all right. I started a precession college course at the beginning of last week and it ends tomorrow. Usually a semester long course done in two weeks, fast pace and lots of reading, but worth one less class during the real semester when it begins on the 19th. As I have mentioned above I have been driving my Caddy through winter here (my first time with it), and it's been running fine. No problems. I wasn't sure since I had a less great experience with carburetor-engines in winter with my first car, a 1978 Lincoln Continental Town Car, but I loved that car.

Anyway other than that nothing much since the last time I posted. College's been a little busy, I've been writing (one of my hobbies) every now and then, hanging out with friends, saw a movie or two. Not much as of yet.

So any insight on what happened Stingroo?

robb257731
01-14-10, 03:58 PM
Maybe he was checking out your car and knocked into the hood ornament with a backpack or something. Or maybe he's an arsehole and was planning on tugging it right off.

JamesC
01-14-10, 04:02 PM
Maybe he was checking out your car and knocked into the hood ornament with a backpack or something. Or maybe he's an arsehole and was planning on tugging it right off.

Well I hope not for the latter, of course. I know nothing really-really wrong was done, I was just curious. Heh.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 04:41 PM
Maybe he/she was seeing if you had one of those coolio hood ornament alarms. If you pull up on/bend the hood ornament it will sound the car's horn. I don't know, maybe next time it's out there you should turn their's sideways. It's not like it hurts anything, and they did it first.

sven914
01-14-10, 04:45 PM
I personally have a problem with other people's non-Cadillac hood ornaments. Whatever it is (Buick, Lincoln, Chrysler, Chevrolet, or Mercedes), its always crooked and I always have to fix it. The ornament on any Cadillac is always straight, or gone.

I also stop in parking lots and look at most Cadillacs, '96 or older. Walk around them, and look at the front end, the back end, the emblems, the wheels, in the widows at the interior and odometer, and make "car show judgments" about how nice of a car it is. I try not to touch, but you gotta see how smooth the paint is or if the emblems are tarnished or just dirty.

I would take it as a complement... It shows someone took the time to notice your car and appreciate it, though they should have respected it more.

JamesC
01-14-10, 05:25 PM
Maybe he/she was seeing if you had one of those coolio hood ornament alarms. If you pull up on/bend the hood ornament it will sound the car's horn. I don't know, maybe next time it's out there you should turn their's sideways. It's not like it hurts anything, and they did it first.

Haha that was one of the first thoughts that came to my mind when I saw it was turned. "Perhaps I should invest in one of those ornament horn alarms* Hehe. And all I can do is assume it was the other Cadillac owner, I really don't know for sure - just seems most logical.

I personally have a problem with other people's non-Cadillac hood ornaments. Whatever it is (Buick, Lincoln, Chrysler, Chevrolet, or Mercedes), its always crooked and I always have to fix it. The ornament on any Cadillac is always straight, or gone.

I also stop in parking lots and look at most Cadillacs, '96 or older. Walk around them, and look at the front end, the back end, the emblems, the wheels, in the widows at the interior and odometer, and make "car show judgments" about how nice of a car it is. I try not to touch, but you gotta see how smooth the paint is or if the emblems are tarnished or just dirty.

I would take it as a complement... It shows someone took the time to notice your car and appreciate it, though they should have respected it more.

Hehe I, personally, never had problems with my '78 or '94 Lincolns' hood ornaments being crooked, they were always straight... although once my '94 Lincoln's broke off, but I replaced it.

Anyway I never thought of it that way, as a complement, it could have been - it just freaked me out at first thinking that maybe I offended them in parking next to them... since they do go out of the way to park away from everyone else, but I'm probably just being paranoid. Nothing else was done to my car, you know. Thanks ^_^

Stingroo
01-14-10, 05:28 PM
I'd get one of the hood ornament alarms and park next to them. It'd be funny if they turned it. lol

JamesC
01-14-10, 05:37 PM
I'd get one of the hood ornament alarms and park next to them. It'd be funny if they turned it. lol

Yeah it would be amusing... has anyone here installed one of those? Is it easy? Difficult? Where would I purchase one anyway and how much does it cost? If I'm serious... I recall seeing a thread about it with a video a while back, ha.

Along the same note. Yesterday, when I was again looking for this same light blue 1990 to 1992 Cadillac Brougham, to park near it... it was not there, however there was, to my enjoyment, a light blue 1974 Cadillac Hearse in pretty good condition. I was like... awesome! I didn't park next to it, but across from it. Boy was it a big beast, but great! I think they even had a coffin in the back, ha. I wonder if the owner of the hearse is the same as the '90 to 92' Caddy are the same, since they both are light blue (almost the same color even) and both parked over in the same section of the parking lot. Only saw the hearse once.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 06:23 PM
This is the old post about the alarm:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/179140-i-want.html

And eBay is the only place I have ever seen one. It went for about 20-25 dollars, I think. I know that DopeStar has one. He might know how easy it is to install.

Bro-Ham
01-14-10, 06:38 PM
turned hood ornament - were the cars flirting?

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 06:43 PM
They were checking each other out!

JamesC
01-14-10, 09:41 PM
Thanks Matt, yeah that's the thread I was referring too. I sent DopeStar a quick message asking about his alarm.

As for the cars flirting... haha I haven't the clue, uh, maybe? :suspect:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-10, 09:47 PM
Was his car nice or was it beat up? If it was nice, then he obviously takes care and pride in it, and I'd doubt someone that respects their Brougham would screw with yours. If it was beat up, then he might have been trying to swindle yours. One of my friends, being a dick, turned the hoodie on my Cadillac once. Only once. :lildevil:

JamesC
01-14-10, 10:06 PM
Was his car nice or was it beat up? If it was nice, then he obviously takes care and pride in it, and I'd doubt someone that respects their Brougham would screw with yours. If it was beat up, then he might have been trying to swindle yours. One of my friends, being a dick, turned the hoodie on my Cadillac once. Only once. :lildevil:

It was in pretty good condition, possibly with a few normal paint nicks here and there, but again over all really good and even with a personalized license plate. IF he or she is also the owner of the 1974 Cadillac Hearse that I saw yesterday of the same color, it was in really good condition too. But I have no clue if it is the same owner or not.

robb257731
01-15-10, 10:31 AM
My hood ornament is a little crooked and it drives me crazy...I'm thinking someone tried to twist it off at some point, so even though the base is seated correctly, the stem is a little crooked, so the ornament itself is slightly turned to the right. Problem for me is that my ornament is hardly faded, and the replacements I've seen are all pretty anemic looking.

Stingroo
01-15-10, 10:35 AM
What's the spring look like under your ornament? maybe someone twisted it too much and bent it out of whack a little.

JamesC
01-15-10, 12:52 PM
UPDATE: Well I parked next to the light blue Caddy this morning and even took a quick snapshot of it.

I actually did was able to see the owner. I didn't stop and say/ask anything because I was already on my way out of the parking lot. I passed a guy, didn't know who he was, and then glanced in my rear view mirror and saw him unlocking the door of the other Caddy. I know it's judging a book by its cover, but he didn't look like the type that would try and rip of my hood ornament. He looked maybe late 20's or early 30's.

Here's his... it's in overall pretty good condition and looks far better in person. Granted it needs to be washed, but we've been having a lot of moisture here so dirt and dust is over our cars.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=978&pictureid=6086

And Mine... picture taken a month after I got it, washed and waxed it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=978&pictureid=5020

outsider
01-15-10, 02:04 PM
damn those are some nice cars.... :D

Maybe you should talk with him, you could be friends

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-15-10, 03:36 PM
Love the color of your '87, I saw an '88 just like that yesterday.

sven914
01-15-10, 04:36 PM
When you see the car again, look at the gold medallion on the grill. That might tell you if he has/or had other Cadillacs.

JamesC
01-15-10, 08:31 PM
damn those are some nice cars.... :D

Maybe you should talk with him, you could be friends

Heh thanks for my car. As for talking with him, I could - I could.

Love the color of your '87, I saw an '88 just like that yesterday.

Thanks! I thought I wasn't going to like it too much when I first got it as I'm not too keen on browns and tans, but then my Caddy grew on me and I'm totally fine with the tan body/interior and brown top. I like it! I don't see too many others this color, heh.

When you see the car again, look at the gold medallion on the grill. That might tell you if he has/or had other Cadillacs.

I could, I could, I did notice that. Although that would be considering if it wasn't there when he bought it. He may have bought it used and it already on there. *shrugs*

sven914
01-15-10, 09:01 PM
^Right, but if he is the owner of the Hearse, then he would have changed the medallion, unless the number reflected the number of Cadillacs he owned or if it was his first and has an I on it.

JamesC
01-15-10, 09:30 PM
^Right, but if he is the owner of the Hearse, then he would have changed the medallion, unless the number reflected the number of Cadillacs he owned or if it was his first and has an I on it.

True, true - although the hearse was a '74, heheh. But I suppose stilll could be a possibility.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-15-10, 10:24 PM
Does your '87 have leather or clothseats?

JamesC
01-15-10, 11:21 PM
Does your '87 have leather or clothseats?

Tan Leather seats, in good condition, and full vinyl top also in great condition, which surprised me, taking first notice, when I first saw it in person. Though I'm sure that's probably due to the previous owner. It was truly a " lil' ol' lady's car". Haha.

robb257731
01-18-10, 09:42 AM

How does the medallion thing work? I'm on Caddy #2....so if I found a medallion, what should it have on it?

greencadillacmatt
01-18-10, 05:01 PM
^What he said. I'm on numbers 3 and 4. Is ebay a good source for these? Are these the gold disks with the roman numerals?

Stingroo
01-18-10, 05:28 PM
Yeah, the Roman numerals are supposed to represent how many Cadillacs you've owned.

I think it goes all the way to 10, then it says like "Master" or something. I forget, I used to know..

sven914
01-18-10, 06:56 PM
Here (http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/cfb.html#heri) is a good explanation of the program.

Mine has an "I" on it which should mean that I have owned one other Cadillac, but I see it more as designating my first Cadillac; any other Cadillacs I get will get heritage badges in succession.

The-Dullahan
01-18-10, 08:32 PM
My hood ornament doesn't turn or move whatsoever. It came off of a 1931 Caddy and is in a fixed position...If I caught some poor bastard with his hands on it, I'd be washing his blood from my bumper.

Just saying.

My_favorite_Brougham
01-18-10, 11:42 PM
I have had my hood ornament turned before. I found it as an insult. But that came in a round vehicles being keyed in the area by punk kids, so I'd be weary.