: Anything I should know about a 1989 Brougham?

robb257731
01-14-10, 09:08 AM
A former neighbour's daughter contacted me on Facebook last night. I grew up next to her parents, and her mother is selling her 1989 Brougham D'Elegance. She knew that I always loved the car, so despite not having seen me in over 10 years she had her daughter track me down to le tme know she's selling.

I haven't seen the car in several years, but the last time I did it was still in lovely shape body-wise. Again, I haven't seen it in awhile. They were always pretty particular with their cars, so I'd imagine it's still in nice shape.

The limited information I have on it is that it's got 103k kilometres/64k miles. It has the factory wires on it, d'elegance package, leather interior.

Is there anything I should know before committing to buy the car? I have a 91with the 5.7L rather than the 5.0...were there engine options in 1989? If so, is there one to be leery of?

outsider
01-14-10, 10:17 AM
obviously I'd say look at it in person/test drive it before committing to buy

Stingroo
01-14-10, 10:27 AM
In '89 the only engine option was the Olds 307. The Chevy 350 didn't show up until '90 (I believe?)

robb257731
01-14-10, 12:34 PM
obviously I'd say look at it in person/test drive it before committing to buy

That goes without saying!:cool2:

I'm taking a look at it after work today.

I'm interested to see how the olds engine compares with the 5.7 in the feel of the drive/power, etc.

jayoldschool
01-14-10, 12:55 PM
Compare the 307 to the L05? Go drive your car with two spark plug wires disconnected. That should do it ;-)

csbuckn
01-14-10, 01:28 PM
I think the tranny is the weakest point but your at least 40K away from that. The 307 is the slowest thing in the world but its quieter and smoother riding. It should float a little better than the 350. But my main concerns would be the computer controlled carb and the tranny.

outsider
01-14-10, 02:27 PM
lol the olds 307 is very sluggish...but I'm not complaining about it as much since running a can of seafoam down the carb...

Noticable difference in speed/accelleration

robb257731
01-14-10, 03:04 PM
My friend went and took a look at it this afternoon. These were his observations:

- it has the gold package on the badging.
- the vinyl roof is in good shape
- the leather interior could stand a cleaning, but there are no tears, cracks etc.
- likely needs a new exhaust
- it's missing a piece of trim from the right rear quarterpanel
- it has surface rust on the rear passenger door and quarter panel (bubbling)

He didn't mention if it has the factory spokes or not. I'm going to take a look at it after work anyway.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing cars described as being in "amazing" shape in the ads only to find tired old dogs in person. I suppose one has to consider that the car is 20 years old, but still, let's just call a spade a spade.

When I was dumb enough to buy my 1992 on Ebay, I bought it sight unseen and was really disappointed when the guy drove up and I saw all the rust on it. When I sold that car (for what I paid, but not what I put in), I included a very detailed description of the condition as well as close up shots of all of the rust areas.

sven914
01-14-10, 03:16 PM
The 307 is a low horse power medium torque engine (140 HP and 250lb-feet, compared to the L05's 210 HP and 300lb-ft). It's not meant to be fast, but neither was the 350, which was intended to move vehicles weighing 1000lbs heavier, unloaded. As compared to 350 Cadillacs, the 307 ones are slow, but I feel the 307 is adequate for the car without over compensating.

The most common problem I've had with my 307 is vacuum leaks. There are miles of hoses under the hood and no professional seems to know where they go and how they work. Neglecting the hoses will cause a lot of problems that will make the car run horrible.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 03:28 PM
The 307 is the slowest thing in the world but its quieter and smoother riding.

Slower than everything but an HT4100.
(everyone with a HT shakes fists at you for having a superior engine.)

sven914
01-14-10, 04:09 PM
^Well at least they're still envied by those who have Northstar Engines.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-10, 09:03 PM
I don't think anyone with a Northstar (or anyone at all) is envying an HT4100. That's like envying the guy with the heart murmur.

Bro-Ham
01-14-10, 10:17 PM
Here we go again - what is "LO5"??? Hope the car meets your expectations. What colors?? :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-14-10, 10:30 PM
L05 is the throttle body fuel injected Chevy 350 used in the Broughams from 90-93.

robb257731
01-15-10, 08:52 AM
Here we go again - what is "LO5"??? Hope the car meets your expectations. What colors?? :)

Hey Bro-Ham,

I'm getting really tired of people describing cars as being in 'amazing' shape with 'no rust...well, maybe a little surface rust' with 'a spotless interior' and then finding the cars to be complete garbage.

The car was a big disappointment.

I got there, and from a distance (the house was set back about 100' from the sidewalk, and the car was near the house), the car looked really good. Very dark blue, nearly black with the gold package. It didn't have factory wire wheels, it had wire hubcaps. The first thing I noticed was missing trim. The driver's side looked really good aside from the missing trim at the bottom of the back quarterpanel. The back looked good. The passenger side was covered in scratches. and tons of scabby surface rust over the rear wheelwell and the back passenger door had bad surface rust. The rest of the car was basically rust free though. The exhaust was hanging off the car. The front bumper was a nightmare...scabby/flaky with a huge chunk of the chrome plating hanging off. The interior was filthy, and the first thing I noticed when I looked in the window was a large burn on the back seat. I also noted that the paint on the hood was starting to oxidize, and all of the clearcoat was gone. I didn't bother knocking on the door to get them to open it up and start it.

It would be a good car for someone handy...they wanted $1500.00 for it. I guess the body wasn't THAT bad. If I were a handy guy and had a place to work on projects, it would have been a great beginner's bodywork project. There weren't any holes in the body, just scabby stuff barely starting to poke through the paint.

It's just a sign that I don't need to spend the money!

Stingroo
01-15-10, 09:27 AM
Amen to that. If you've got one that runs, and you're happy with -- especially with a 350 -- good on you man. :)

You wouldn't like the 350-307 downgrade anyway, I'd guess.

CaddyMattD
01-26-10, 09:39 PM
I just bought the same car, only white with the gold package. I'm guessing that meant that yours had the original gold grill and flying lady hood ornament? Mine sounds like the body was in rougher shape than the one you looked at but I'm hopeful of finding better plastic pieces in a junkyard, and it only cost me $900. I feel like this is a rare care though no?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-26-10, 10:36 PM
L05 is the throttle body fuel injected Chevy 350 used in the Broughams from 90-93.

And at GM the LO stood for low output. WTF is that?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
01-26-10, 11:31 PM
It did? Seriously?

jayoldschool
01-27-10, 12:01 AM
No. It is L zero 5, not L oh 5.

brougham_geezer
01-27-10, 09:05 AM
I'll take my post-'77 downsized RWD Cad with the L33 or L61 and Turbo 400 thank you. :)

Cadillacboy
01-28-10, 11:10 AM
If I were you and money is no concern then I would swap the engine and get rid of bumper fillers .I would try to make them reproduce in sheet metal