: Tire Rotation

HUF
01-13-10, 10:07 PM
Is there any difference between FWD and RWD cars tire-rotation-wise?

csbuckn
01-14-10, 01:18 AM
There is.
RWD:cross the rear to the front, the front tires go straight back.

FWD:cross the front to the back, the back go straight foward.

this is from my friend that works in the tire department

Aron9000
01-14-10, 01:34 AM
FWD:cross the front to the back, the back go straight foward.

I've found it useless to rotate the tires on a FWD car. My strategy on my old car was to wear out the front tires, put the rear tires on the front, then get new rear tires. Doing it this way you'd go through two sets of front tires and one set of rear tires. You'd always put the new ones on the rear because you didn't want the rear to slide around on you. I drove that car like I stole it(1991 Regal), combined with it being extremely nose heavy means the front tires just didn't last at all.

sven914
01-14-10, 02:33 PM
I've had a few automotive instructors say the same thing about FWD.

But before doing a rotation on a RWD, you should check the tread depths. I don't rotate my tires unless the front tires have more or about the same tread as the rears. If the fronts are already lower than the rear tires, putting them on the back will only make them wear unevenly faster.

csbuckn
01-14-10, 03:00 PM
I think that if you rotate your tires on a scheduled basis, even before wear starts, you will get more even thread life out of a set of tires.

greencadillacmatt
01-14-10, 03:15 PM
^ True. I rotate mine every 6000 miles. I just got new tires on my FWD Cavalier, and I intend to rotate them on schedule. They wear evenly if you keep up on it.

sven914
01-14-10, 03:51 PM
^Yes they do and I usually have the rotation done every oil change, but I always have the tech check the tread depth before the rotation, and if the fronts are even slightly lower than the rears, I wait on the rotation until the tread depth at least match.

brougham
01-14-10, 07:28 PM
To answer the original question there's no difference.

D Yaros
01-15-10, 11:49 AM
The standard "rule of thumb" is to criss-cross to the drive wheels, bringing the tires on the drive wheels straight back/forward.

I will not dispute anything/everything already said, but my belief is regular tire rotation extends tread life.