: 96 FWB making tinkering noise.. accidentally topped off with wrong coolant.

durrk johnson
01-13-10, 06:06 PM
Yesterday, i was checking my coolant and couldnt see the line, and didnt notice that it said dexcool only.... well, I put about 1/4 cup of PEAK 50/50 in before realizing what I was doing...

And now today, there is a tinkering coming from where the coolant is in the front and gets louder when i drive.... Did I seriously mess something up?

I also just noticed this after washing my car in 35 degree weather.
Also, I think the front radiator and cooler got wet. because one side of the cooler had steam, hopefully not smoke, coming from it.

sven914
01-13-10, 07:00 PM
GET THE RADIATOR FLUSHED!!!

Green and orange turn to sludge in the engine and clog up the coolant passages.

77CDV
01-13-10, 07:15 PM
Take Dr. Sven's advice.

durrk johnson
01-13-10, 08:15 PM
ok guys, I got the radiator flushed asap! i had a feeling that was what i had to do! And I no longer hear the tinkering noise!

but now, my check engine light is on!

and I have no idea why... I took it back to "valvoline Instant Oil Change" (which i probably shouldnt have taken it to in the first place) and they said they didnt know either but that they could have got the O2 sensor wet when they did the flush.... they plugged that little computer thing in and got rid of the light.

But i just drove home, came out and ithe light just turned back on...

This happened last time i got an underbody flush and the light turned off the next day... I ran for trouble codes and got no new codes... Do you think this could be the case?!

77CDV
01-14-10, 01:24 AM
Could be a wet sensor, or some other form of open connection. Let the car dry out and see what happens. If it persists after all is dry and there are no codes, you likely have an open somewhere in the circuit.

Cadillacboy
01-15-10, 12:49 PM
I think it's the best idea to buy an OBDII reader and hook it up to the connector and see what it throws .

sven914
01-15-10, 04:19 PM
^Unless you get a $3,000 OTC Genisys or steal a GM specific Tech2 scanner, you will only get the information the ECC tells you.

Everything else will only tell you global OBD-II, which is even less than what the ECC will give you.