: Window problem

82CDV
01-12-10, 09:26 PM
92 FWB. The driverís side electric window is operating intermittently. Is this normally electrical?

Thanks.

77CDV
01-12-10, 10:28 PM
Primary suspects would be a loose connection at the window switch or the connector to the window regulator is loose or dirty, resulting in intermittant contact. Make sure all your connections are tight and clean, and shoot some WD40 into the window switch and rock it a bit to clean things out there. If you're still having problems, suspect the regulator itself. Part isn't terribly expensive, but they're a bitch to change.

greencadillacmatt
01-12-10, 10:47 PM
Could it be frayed wires in the flexible connector from the car that runs the wires into the door? There was a guy in my electrical class over the summer that has a 1999 DeVille. His driver's window wouldn't work. We found the wire frayed in half when we looked inside the flex-connector.

82CDV
01-13-10, 04:02 PM
Primary suspects would be a loose connection at the window switch or the connector to the window regulator is loose or dirty, resulting in intermittant contact. Make sure all your connections are tight and clean, and shoot some WD40 into the window switch and rock it a bit to clean things out there. If you're still having problems, suspect the regulator itself. Part isn't terribly expensive, but they're a bitch to change.

How do you get at the back of the switch?

sven914
01-13-10, 05:54 PM
Could it be frayed wires in the flexible connector from the car that runs the wires into the door? There was a guy in my electrical class over the summer that has a 1999 DeVille. His driver's window wouldn't work. We found the wire frayed in half when we looked inside the flex-connector.

That's a common problem and is worth checking into, but if there were frayed wires in the door connector, then there would be more symptoms such as the other windows not working and the door locks being intermittent. It would be very unlikely that only one wire would be frayed, and also if the master switch loses power, then it won't control any window at all.

77CDV
01-13-10, 05:56 PM
The switch itself is a sealed unit and not meant to be opened. But, if you use the little tube that comes with the WD40 can, you can squirt a bit of it into the top of the switch, then rock the switch back and forth to clean the contacts. You really don't need to use a lot, just a few drops on either side will do.

Matt's suggestion of frayed wiring is also a good suggestion. You can use a multimeter to test if the regulator is getting juice.

82CDV
01-21-10, 02:12 PM
I didn’t see any frayed wires.

I tried the WD 40 but no luck.

The window will stop as if it has no power and the switch won’t do anything. If I let it sit for a few minutes, it will move again, sometimes just a little and other times fine.

Is there some sort of position sensor?

I haven’t been able to figure out how to get inside to look at the regulator or its’ connection. Any tips for that?

Thanks.

jayoldschool
01-21-10, 02:31 PM
I would start by removing the switches and cleaning and inspecting all connections, then checking their function with a multimeter. Then, take off the door panel and clean, inspect, and grease the window tracks.

sven914
01-21-10, 03:41 PM
It sounds like the circuit breaker is being over loaded.

It's internal to the motor and acts a safety device to stop the motor when the window gets jambed.

Take the door panel off and look to see if there is anything that could be catching the window and jambing it. Spray everything with WD40 and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, then you might need a new motor.

82CDV
01-21-10, 06:13 PM
OK. How does the door panel come off?

Thanks.

77CDV
01-22-10, 09:34 AM
There should be two large screws somewhere behind the door pull (not too familiar with the 1992 set up). These will have to be removed. After that, you need to go around the perimeter of the door panel with a flathead screwdriver and pop the plastic clips holding the panel on out of the door. Start at the bottom and work up either side. I think 1992 has the annoying seatbelt on the door, so I don't know how you get around that. Unscrew and remove the manual door lock trim knob off the top of the panel. Once the clips are popped off and the screws removed, lift the door panel up off the upper lip of the door. It's a one-piece thing. There's something like tar paper between the door panel and the inner working of the door, so you'll need to remove that to access the window motor and door lock actuator.