: Possible catera engine swap?

motohead_1
01-12-10, 05:00 PM
I have been looking around for a Catera for a while and found a couple that need engine work...

I have been working with the gm W and G bodys for a while now so I'm fairly competent that I can work on the Catera.

I was looking at the possibility of swapping in a gm 3400, 3500 or the olds 3.5l DOHC Shortstar (my favorite) engine.
I'm thinking that the Shortstar would be a great swap but I dont know if the crank and cam sensors are both compatable between engines. Can someone help me out with this issue?

What does the catera use for the cam and crank sensors?

Also If I remember right the Catera is drive by wire. Could I just mount up a newer electronic throttle body to bypass this issue?

What protocol does gm use in the Catera and is it compatible with the US pcms if I need to do a pcm swap?

I have no problem fabricating exhaust manifolds or using a set off a s-10 or Camaro powered 3.1 or 3.4 car.

Thanks a bunch!!!

fuzzkill
01-12-10, 09:01 PM
You would need to do a PCM/wiring harness swap for anything other than another 3.0 or 3.2. If you really want to do this, you will need the donor engine, entire harness, transmission, and lots of time with the wiring diagrams.

Getting the new engine to run off of the harness would be the easy part. Getting it integrated with the Catera's body harness and gauges would be the hard part.

Off the top of my head, you'll be looking at custom engine mounts, tranny mount, exhaust headers, and oil pan at the very least.

CateraMV6
01-12-10, 11:08 PM
Go get a 99 00 or 01 sports, then get a CTS 3.2L engine and swap that out, with a fresh exhaust, X pipe, muffler delete, some intake work and you can have yourself a 230-240hp motor that will make your car move.

3.5L will make it a nightmare to fit, with way too many issues, AC, PS, Alternator etc...

Black02SLPSS
01-12-10, 11:40 PM
Well, while doing the actual swap on my catera was not too difficult as far as sliding the engine and trans thru the top as one unit, the friggin wiring nightmare of it will prolly keep me from doing it again. That and all the crap thats on the back side of the engine. But i am very close to having my swap completed, so i think once that is done my opinion will get better. lol