: Car temperture went up after putting stop leak in

limoguy
01-12-10, 01:51 PM
I noticed a slight radiator leak, so I put Prestone stop leak in my top hose. I guess it circulated. Now, I notice my temperture is hotter then it used to be. Im thinking the water flow is now less. Is there anything I should do? Or should I just watch the temperture and let the fans kick in at 230 degrees or so?

highway coolent temp used to be about 199-201
Now, after stop leak-temp is about 203-208..varies.

1998 cadi deville northstar...293K

thanks

Submariner409
01-12-10, 02:23 PM
196 - 201 highway is normal. (Some Northstars run at 210 from the day they were first started) but your observed temp rise after adding stop leak is different - something has either slowed down coolant flow and/or the thermostat is now partially plugged.

I realize that a $12.95 jug of stop leak is a lot less expensive than a new radiator and the attendant coolant and hose work but a leaking radiator, even if sealed with stop leak, will be back to haunt you.

kckranz
01-12-10, 04:00 PM
I'd drain the system and hopefully get the crud out that found no where to go. Refill with fresh coolant mix - run, repeat. 293,000 miles? Damn.

limoguy
01-12-10, 05:52 PM
196 - 201 highway is normal. (Some Northstars run at 210 from the day they were first started) but your observed temp rise after adding stop leak is different - something has either slowed down coolant flow and/or the thermostat is now partially plugged.

I realize that a $12.95 jug of stop leak is a lot less expensive than a new radiator and the attendant coolant and hose work but a leaking radiator, even if sealed with stop leak, will be back to haunt you.

Yea ..The flow slowed from the stop leak. Problem with that stuff is that it makes all the openings for water flow, more narrow. Its only a few degrees higher, I been watching it. So far, it doesnt seem to be an issue. With 293K miles on all original stuff, I have no complaints. thanks Sub

limoguy
01-12-10, 05:57 PM
I'd drain the system and hopefully get the crud out that found no where to go. Refill with fresh coolant mix - run, repeat. 293,000 miles? Damn.

Thanks, I been watching it. Its only up a few degrees. Goes up more when just ideling which it has always done.
Im hoping to hit the 300K milestone!. Engine is still strong and quiet. Still roars when you press the gas, I could guarantee you that. Should hit it in the next month. I put about 8K a month on her. Thanks

cl1986
01-12-10, 07:40 PM
only use gm pellets for fixing minor leaks, ive had it last very long time for plugging the pinhole in a radiator before unitl i sold the vehichle 7 years later.

you sure there is enough coolant now that you pulled a hose?? could be alot of things causing only 4* difference.

limoguy
01-12-10, 08:43 PM
only use gm pellets for fixing minor leaks, ive had it last very long time for plugging the pinhole in a radiator before unitl i sold the vehichle 7 years later.

you sure there is enough coolant now that you pulled a hose?? could be alot of things causing only 4* difference.

Not much coolant came out but will check it. The stop-leak stuff was the powder stuff in the small tube. It probably made the water flow openings a bit narrow slowing the water flow. 4 degrees isnt to bad I dont think. Still under 208 degrees on highway