: Oil pressure check

Eldyfig
08-11-04, 08:29 AM
Is there a way to check oil pressure through the OBDI display? I have a the list of codes, but was hoping I could find a list and directions for troubleshooting thru the OBDI.

dloch
08-11-04, 02:36 PM
No, it's a switch. With pressure it's closed, no pressure open.

Eldyfig
08-11-04, 07:26 PM
I guess a switch that is only measuring open or close isn't going to help me find out my oil pressure. Could you happen to tell me what I could do to findout my oil pressure? Thanks for the response.

Ranger
08-11-04, 08:19 PM
I think you can attatch a guage by the oil filter adapter.

Eldyfig
08-12-04, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check into that when I can under the car again.

Anthony Cipriano
08-12-04, 03:29 PM
Why do you need to check the oil pressure? Oil pressure problems are pretty rare on a Northstar so just curious. If the engine has no apparent oil pressure (idiot light on, noisy lifters, etcetera) then the first thing to do is to overfill the engine by an extra 8 quarts to make sure the pump primes even though the relief valve may be momentarily stuck open on a minute piece of debris. The extra 8 quarts will submerge the pump and force-prime the system and the debris will be forced out. Drain the oil to the correct level and it's fixed.

If the idiot light is coming on with no other symptoms then it's probably just the oil pressure switch. Not too uncommon for one to fail at high miles.

Eldyfig
08-12-04, 07:16 PM
Just curiousity actually. Since I am able to read so many parameters with this OBD, in made me quite curious. I haven't noticed, is there an idiot light for oil? I guess most cars do have one. I wiil have to pay attention next time I turn the ignition.

Anthony Cipriano
08-12-04, 09:35 PM
There's an oil pressure warning light and an oil level warning message. Two separate sensors, one a switch for oil pressure and the other a switch in the oil pan for oil level. There's no oil pressure sending unit for oil pressure readout on the Cadillacs (except for a 93 Allante with the Northstar).

elwesso
08-12-04, 09:55 PM
Anthony, would that be the case on some other engine... Liek the engine on my Q, needing to re-prime the oil pump?

Anthony Cipriano
08-12-04, 10:03 PM
Anthony, would that be the case on some other engine... Liek the engine on my Q, needing to re-prime the oil pump?

Are you asking of this would work if your Q lost oil pressure? Not likely but I really don't know. That procedure isn't applicable to engines in general, no. It does apply to a 93-96 Northstar, however.