: What would you do if your dist. was stuck?

BroughamOnChrome
08-11-04, 02:33 AM
When I first got my '69 472 running I was gonna adjust the timing (its off by a little) but when I go to turn the distributer it is ceized in place. What would you do to fix this?

barge master
08-11-04, 06:38 AM
Keep soaking it with penetrating oil, and smack it with a hammer and a big flat punch, just not too hard. If you can get a pipe wrench on the shaft, clamp it on and smack it with the palm of your hand. You may have to keep after it for a while, just keep soaking it and jarring it.

BroughamOnChrome
08-11-04, 02:12 PM
I'll have to try that. Open to any other ideas.

caddydaddy
08-11-04, 03:11 PM
That's pretty much all you can do! I had a '76 500 that had a stuck distributer. I kept soaking it for many days with penetration oil, and taking a large cresent wrench and putting it on the squared lug at the bottom on the distributer and smacking it with a hammer. It's a pain, but there's not too much else you can do.
Try asking the question on the MTS message board. http://www.hwforums.com/2089/

There's a lot more people there that work with 472's and 500's than on this board.

Good luck!

JTraik
08-11-04, 08:32 PM
Yeah they are bears...i just wacked the hell out of mine and it came loose. I have heard a story that a guy had an engine lift on his and it lifted right in the air so he had guys get on the car and jump...came out like a bullet.

barge master
08-12-04, 07:16 AM
DISCLAIMER: Stunt mechanics on closed course, do not attempt!!!!

wurstarme
08-12-04, 09:41 AM
My distributor is stuck, and it has been for months... I tried penetrating oil, an impact gun, wrenches, etc... no luck. I've just given up on it, sadly :(

barge master
08-12-04, 10:08 AM
If I recall correctly, aluminum expands more slowly than iron when heated, right? If that is the case, maybe warming the engine just to the brink of thermostat opening would be the best time to try and free it. The block would be warm, but the the distributor would still be relatively cold and theoretically at it's smallest compared to the block. Any opinions??

wurstarme
08-12-04, 12:20 PM
If I recall correctly, aluminum expands more slowly than iron when heated, right? If that is the case, maybe warming the engine just to the brink of thermostat opening would be the best time to try and free it. The block would be warm, but the the distributor would still be relatively cold and theoretically at it's smallest compared to the block. Any opinions??
Well I tried a torch as well a while back.. it didn't seem to do much. Maybe I jusy didn't heat it long enough.

barge master
08-12-04, 08:44 PM
That sounds pretty stuck. Sometimes I'll heat a stuck bolt really good, then as it cools,I'll melt a crayon into it. You gotta let it cool almost completely, but the wax wicks it's way down into the joint and they often come right out. It's a cooter trick.

JTraik
08-13-04, 12:23 AM
It has to be moving somewhat man... i sat there with a 3lb sledge and a chisel and just kept beating and beating for about 10 minutes...it came off but extremely slowly. You just gotta be patient.

cadillacdeville
08-26-04, 09:36 PM
maby one of those strap wrentches might help