: 2000 Cadillac Catera Transmission Light

arikalea
01-11-10, 01:25 PM
So, I was driving my 2000 Cadillac Catera yesterday on some icy ground as I live here in Iowa where we haven't had the greatest weather. I tried to speed up which usually works just fine as traction control sets in, but this time it just took forever to go. I thought it was just the ice that was the problem, so I got onto a main street that was completely clear and tried to take off. I had to floor the gas pedal to get my car to go and all of a sudden my transmission service light came on and started blinking. I was able to drive home, and even make it on the interstate at 60 mph, but the transmission light is still on and EVERY time I start up after a stop it takes flooring the gas pedal and a LONG time for it to speed up. Once it gets going it seems fine. Any ideas on what this may be?

Black02SLPSS
01-19-10, 05:10 AM
It may be starting in a lower gear, second or maybe third, not sure as im not a transmission guru. On the 2000-02 camaros/trans ams if you put it down into the second gear manually it would actually start in that gear. Now im not sure if the cateras do that or not, but i would take it to either a parts store where they can pull the codes and see what code it is tripping then we can go from there.

AHazzardToAll
01-19-10, 06:48 PM
sounds like a possible MAF sensor issue to me. Like SLPSS said go get the code pulled and we'll be able to help you with more direction. If you don't want to drive the car i think autozone will loan them to you.

AHazzardToAll
01-25-10, 12:42 AM
*edt
Just re-read your post and i must have read wrong or didn't have my mind on straight. If your tranny light is on it's probably not a MAFS. And it sounds like your car is starting in limp mode (a higher gear like 3rd.) the car can also do this if you press the "snowflake button" the car will start in a higher (3rd) gear. Get the CEL light saned and you can go from there. could be something as simple as low fluid, although the sealed transmissions do not often leak.

TitanCTS
01-27-10, 09:52 AM
Neutral Safety Switch. $100.. Autozone (lifetime warranty). :)