: hypothetical race with a GT500

Ross L
01-11-10, 12:30 PM
Why would GM provide us with such a wonderful car, with incredible technoligy and give it such a slow reacting shift program(automatic of course). If one were to run GT500 from say 40mph using the toggle shift. Tapping the buttons at 6000 would therby allow the car to hit the rev limit in 2nd and 3rd and completely fall on its face.(with at least a half second delay between the button being pushed and the actual shift). By this time the GT500 would probably be,at least, three cars out. Now from 100 to 140 the CTS-V would probably catch to the bumper before it shut down. Why can't the *$%# thing shift when the button is pushed??? Right then, when it's *actually* pushed. I know there's supposed to be a cure(wait4me program) but come on.
Ross

Vrocks
01-11-10, 01:10 PM
The TCM can be changed to shift quicker but it'll probably affect smoothness and durability. I've heard the next gen V and ATS will have DCTs... I hope it's true.

Since I don't like the delayed response when it's in M, I only use it to down shift to get the car in the right gear for a run. Once I get on it, I move it back to drive and let the TCM handle the rest.

Gotham CTS-V
01-11-10, 01:27 PM
Yeah, it sucks. But the CTS-V will beat a Mustang GT500.

And the wait 4 me program really helps.

gnxs
01-11-10, 01:46 PM
Yeah, it sucks. But the CTS-V will beat a Mustang GT500.

And the wait 4 me program really helps.
In stock form yes, slight edge to the "V".

And I agree 100%, the W4M trans calibration mods significantly raise the enjoyment factor of an auto-equipped "V".

Ross L
01-11-10, 02:02 PM
Just better bring your "a game". The GT500 is stout! I probably underestimated it. I hope to order the w4m program soon.

GMX322V S/C
01-11-10, 02:13 PM
+1 for wait4me max performance tune (includes TCM tune)--and running the tranny in Sport mode with StabiliTrak in Competitive Mode (influences TCM behavior as well--at least with the tune it does)

Luna.
01-11-10, 02:28 PM
What disappoints me moreso is the fact that the GT500 has launch control; if I understand correctly, you can damn-near sidestep the clutch and the computer will consistently launch the car without significant wheelspin. This would be helpful in all Vs, but REALLY helpful in manual trans equipped Vs.

Very, VERY strange to NOT include that in this car...:hmm:

mpouls1
01-11-10, 02:32 PM
At least we have heated seats

Ross L
01-11-10, 02:37 PM
Dont think this one (07) had launch control. He mentioned bad wheel hop on take offs. Still don't understand why the factory shift program is so sluggish. Oh well, there's always a hypothetical next time.
Ross

Vrocks
01-11-10, 02:50 PM
Dont think this one (07) had launch control. He mentioned bad wheel hop on take offs. Still don't understand why the factory shift program is so sluggish. Oh well, there's always a hypothetical next time.
Ross
if you really want to use the paddles; try shifting at 5800 or 5900rpm. Also, the tach is lagging the engine...

CoOlSlY
01-11-10, 07:25 PM
The TCM can be changed to shift quicker but it'll probably affect smoothness and durability. I've heard the next gen V and ATS will have DCTs... I hope it's true.

Since I don't like the delayed response when it's in M, I only use it to down shift to get the car in the right gear for a run. Once I get on it, I move it back to drive and let the TCM handle the rest.

Just want to understand, when you downshift when in M, when you put it back to drive, the car doesn't shift right away (?)

Vrocks
01-11-10, 09:37 PM
Just want to understand, when you downshift when in M, when you put it back to drive, the car doesn't shift right away (?)

If you were to downshift to 2nd gear and floor it around 15 or 20 mph (probably anything over half throttle), then shift into drive, the transmission won't downshift. The computer must realize that it's in an acceptable gear and decides another downshift isn't necessary or possible. It would down shift if you manually only downshifted to 5th at 65mph, floored it and moved the shifter back to drive. Or if you manually selected 2nd at 40mph and shifted back tondrive under light throttle, it'll shift to the correct gear (probably 5th).

Also, when I do that, I won't move it back to D until it's about 3/4 through that gear - so it has no choice but to hold it.

SILVER-V
01-11-10, 10:22 PM
GT500's are not all that impressive, I went to the track and I meet up with a guy who had one. We decided to race and I constantly beat him, he was doing 13.0-13.1 and I was doing 12.5-12.7 all day. Mind you this was my first time ever drag racing the CTS-V and an automatic for that matter, he had his car for months now. Im completely stock btw.

mpouls1
01-12-10, 12:42 AM
Agreed...however that is from a stop. I do have some track experience with a GT500 '09, but it was pullied and had D/R's.

He was using paddle shift (wtf?) I would like to see performance wise from different speed rolls.

Ross L
01-12-10, 08:06 AM
Well, I was impressed. And yes the paddle shift(first run). Second race just left it in sport mode. There seemed like a two second delay when I went WOT until it found what gear it wanted. By then looking at tail lights. Yes the V started to close the distance but it was a little to late. A GT500 with a good driver is definately a handfull(hypothetically)
Ross

CIWS
01-12-10, 09:51 AM
Your hypothetical race started out nice, but you've failed it into reality with your follow-on posts. ;)

The STS-V auto trans has the same type of issue, it takes the driver getting used to the shift pattern and learning when (early) to tell it to shift so it works out. It took me several times at the track (drag) to get it down. Of course there is always the option of getting a tune to help it beyond the GM programming.

gnxs
01-12-10, 10:57 AM
GT500's are not all that impressive, I went to the track and I meet up with a guy who had one. We decided to race and I constantly beat him, he was doing 13.0-13.1 and I was doing 12.5-12.7 all day. Mind you this was my first time ever drag racing the CTS-V and an automatic for that matter, he had his car for months now. Im completely stock btw.
Then the guy doesn't really know how to drag race his car. A GT500 is a low 12 second car stock with the right driver and weather conditions. Since they don't come with automatics, there is alot more of its performance left in the hands of the driver.

A GT500 with a good driver is definately a handfull(hypothetically)
Ross
Agreed.

SILVER-V
01-12-10, 10:13 PM
Then the guy doesn't really know how to drag race his car. A GT500 is a low 12 second car stock with the right driver and weather conditions. Since they don't come with automatics, there is alot more of its performance left in the hands of the driver.

Agreed.

I really had no idea but the V's power to weight ratio is better than the GT500's, so i don't think he would be faster than me regardless of transmission. We also have 70tq more than they do.

mpouls1
01-12-10, 10:28 PM
I don't think the question would be whether we are faster. I think it is more of "we have crappy transmission lag and he's got a manual." gnxs is a mustang guy too so he knows his stuff. :stirpot:

gnxs
01-13-10, 11:26 AM
I really had no idea but the V's power to weight ratio is better than the GT500's, so i don't think he would be faster than me regardless of transmission. We also have 70tq more than they do.
I didn't say he'd be faster stock, just that a 13.0 time means it's not being driven anywhere near close to its potential.

SILVER-V
01-13-10, 04:44 PM
I didn't say he'd be faster stock, just that a 13.0 time means it's not being driven anywhere near close to its potential.

Oh ok I understand now. I don't have much practice with an auto but what settings, technique and at what rpms are you guys launching your cars? sorry for the thread jack btw

thebigjimsho
01-18-10, 01:17 AM
Just get a manual V. Problem solved...

Ross L
01-18-10, 10:26 AM
Just get a manual V. Problem solved...
yep!:)

Gotham CTS-V
01-18-10, 10:53 AM
The auto isn't THAT bad, even stock. Just select the right rear and stomp on it. Then switch it back to auto mode and it will shift at redline.

One thing you have to remember is that some GT500's are modded. Similiar mods to what we can do with our car with similiar gains. So be careful.