: ok ok... so engine out the top... what???

ponyboyt
01-11-10, 11:34 AM
So i have been reading these forums for a while, but i still havent seen a step by step on how to do this. I can see the benefits for sure. When the engine is out for a while, its nice to be able to MOVE the car.

We have the cradle drop down to an art now, takes under an hour. Its almost tempting to drop the cradle, separate, and bolt the cradle back in just to be able to move the car.

How the heck to you separate from the trans??? Torque converter bolts? Ya right... undo them from underneath??

This 99 STS is gorgeous. I really dont want to butcher anything by removing the cradle. But i also really want to save a ton on labor by taking the engine to our special repair guy instead of taking the car :) Plus im just plain curious to see how its done.

tateos
01-11-10, 01:01 PM
So i have been reading these forums for a while, but i still havent seen a step by step on how to do this. I can see the benefits for sure. When the engine is out for a while, its nice to be able to MOVE the car.

We have the cradle drop down to an art now, takes under an hour. Its almost tempting to drop the cradle, separate, and bolt the cradle back in just to be able to move the car.

How the heck to you separate from the trans??? Torque converter bolts? Ya right... undo them from underneath??

This 99 STS is gorgeous. I really dont want to butcher anything by removing the cradle. But i also really want to save a ton on labor by taking the engine to our special repair guy instead of taking the car :) Plus im just plain curious to see how its done.

The chassis manual for 1997 does give the engine out the top process as the alternative method for engine removal; I think Jake might be the real expert on how to it.

ponyboyt
01-11-10, 01:15 PM
when i look at my 97 and the 2000 we pulled, there is a big difference in getting at the flywheel bolts. It looks like you have to remove the manifold on the 2000. But the manual for my 97 said i had to remove the flywheel bolts, and the 2000 leaves the TC attached. Ill see if my DVD has the removal for 97 out the top.

Edit: My DVD does not have chassis manual for 97 :P only 98+

Mark C
01-11-10, 01:16 PM
Take the starter out and reach thru the opening in the block to get to the torque converter bolts.

ponyboyt
01-11-10, 01:20 PM
Take the starter out and reach thru the opening in the block to get to the torque converter bolts.

:worship:

Mark C
01-11-10, 03:16 PM
You're supposed to mark the TC to flywheel alignment when you break the engine/transaxle apart. I don't know why as the engine should be balance by itself and the trans should be balanced by itself. I didn't an haven't had any vibration issues (maybe because what went back in wasn't the same as what came out). Shoot some spray paint thru the hole to mark one of the t/c to flywheel bolt so you can put it back the same way it came out.

Your going to need a box end wrench to get the bolts out, a socket/rachet combo is to tall to fit between the bolt and the engine block. I think its a 15MM.

ponyboyt
01-11-10, 04:05 PM
any tips on the wiring harness? This is a 99, my 97 was a huge PITA and we pulled it out the bottom... the 99 coming out the top... theres that huge loom that goes right between the umm... maybe its the coolant crossover and the trans? Trying to remember... i think we had to take the harness out to get at the bolts though. Man it was tough getting that loom back in when we bolted the new engine up.

I will mark the flywheel as the same engine is going back in.

I really want to stud this engine myself just for experience sake, but i think it will be getting delivered to Jake. I want it done right :) I dont mind butchering my 97 but this one is a keeper.

What about the liquid cooled alternator?

jeffrsmith
01-11-10, 05:04 PM
What about the liquid cooled alternator?

Expensive if you have to replace it.

ponyboyt
01-11-10, 05:55 PM
which is why i snagged the one off a 2000 and hid it in a locker at the shop :bouncy::bouncy:

Mark C
01-12-10, 12:21 AM
Just disconnect the wiring harness from the PCM, at the transmission connector, the fuse block, a couple of grounds near the PCM, the connector and ground wire on EBCM, and the connector below the master cylinder and from the A/C line across the firewall and take the harness out with the engine.

2000 alternator is different than a 98/99 alternator, 98/99s use a gm part number 19152137, the 2000s use a 10464434 alternator. It uses a different voltage regulator because the 2000s don't have the thermistor at the battery end of the positive cable. You can swap out the voltage regulator if need be, gt a transpo D751, Lester 8294, or GM 19009751 regulator.

ponyboyt
01-12-10, 12:44 AM
:yeah:goldmine

ive always just flopped the pcm on top of the engine and left it there. Thought it looked a bit tough to unplug. too bad about the alternator, i guess ill add it to the 2000sts parts list and sell it off.

i get the part where i leave the harness on, but i thought part had to be moved to get at the bolts to separate from the trans, ill have a good look tomorow, my memory is fading :P

Thanks for all the info :o

Mark C
01-12-10, 11:25 AM
No theres only 4 bolts that hold the engine block to the transmission, they are pretty easy to get to, its the lower bolts on the crossover manifold that are impossible to get at with that harness inplace.

ponyboyt
01-13-10, 01:17 AM
ah cool, ya im remembering now. We are wrapping up my 97 this week and starting this one hopefuly before the weekend starts. I want this done asap cause i just found a sweet Northstar Eldo that might just be too good to be true :)

You know what i need? An exhaust gas test kit or something like to keep in my trunk. I see so many northstar cars that look like good deals but you just know you can get em for so much less if the gaskets are gone.

Mmmm always wanted an Eldorado.....