: Fix Your Range Selector Indicator

awadecki
01-11-10, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

For those of you that have a 1970s era Cadillac with a misaligned range selector indicator, here's how you fix it:

1. Remove lower portion of instrument panel immediately beneath the steering wheel - very easy on these 70s Cadillacs. Just remove about 4 screws and 4 bolts.

2. Look on the right side of the steering column, you'll see a small piece of metal with a slot in it and a tiny spring at the top of it. This slotted piece of metal is held in place by a small 1/4" bolt. Loosen the bolt a bit and move the slotted piece up and down until you find the right position that lines your range selector indicator correctly with the gear you're in. Do NOT remove the bolt, or you'll risk losing the tiny spring I talked about...just loosen it a bit.

It appears that this small bolt loosens over time, allowing the slotted piece of metal to move . The result is that the range selector is generally off a bit (i.e. range selector indicator reads "Neutral" when you're really in "Drive).

I've owned 4 1970s vintage Cadillacs--all have had a misaligned indicator when I got them. This is the fix and it'll take about 15 mins from start to finish. Good luck.

jayoldschool
01-11-10, 11:12 AM
It's the same for all the non-digital column shift GM cars.

Good write up! Take some pics next time ;)

HAZZARDJOHN
01-11-10, 11:42 AM
The only Thing I will add is do this in Drive, if you do this in park you might still be off when you put it back together. I find if you align it in Neutral or drive you are pretty close on all the other gears.

~HJ

HUF
01-11-10, 12:18 PM
Hi all,

For those of you that have a 1970s era Cadillac with a misaligned range selector indicator, here's how you fix it:

1. Remove lower portion of instrument panel immediately beneath the steering wheel - very easy on these 70s Cadillacs. Just remove about 4 screws and 4 bolts.

2. Look on the right side of the steering column, you'll see a small piece of metal with a slot in it and a tiny spring at the top of it. This slotted piece of metal is held in place by a small 1/4" bolt. Loosen the bolt a bit and move the slotted piece up and down until you find the right position that lines your range selector indicator correctly with the gear you're in. Do NOT remove the bolt, or you'll risk losing the tiny spring I talked about...just loosen it a bit.

It appears that this small bolt loosens over time, allowing the slotted piece of metal to move . The result is that the range selector is generally off a bit (i.e. range selector indicator reads "Neutral" when you're really in "Drive).

I've owned 4 1970s vintage Cadillacs--all have had a misaligned indicator when I got them. This is the fix and it'll take about 15 mins from start to finish. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip. What if that 1/4 screw is replaced with a longer one and a spring washer?

awadecki
01-13-10, 03:06 AM
Probably would help...but fixing the problem only takes a few minutes.