: 4t80 extension housing, what part

bigds01
01-10-10, 08:21 PM
Ok, so i figured out the piece of plastic that I broke is on the extension housing. It is the piece that the detent cable connects to. Any idea on what the part is and how to fix it? There is nothing in the shop manual.

cl1986
01-10-10, 10:44 PM
picture? still think you need a new cable but arnt sure what you are talking about, picture would be great

Mark C
01-11-10, 10:39 AM
This on a Northstar equipped SLS, with a 4L80E transmission? Is this related to your other post about breaking a plastic peice on the transmission where the shifter attaches? If so you should keep everything together.

The only cable attached to the transmission (outside of electrical ones) is the shifter cable, and it attaches to an arm that is attached to a pivot point on the transmission which has the gear selector module around it. the transmission is electrically shifted, there is no mechanical shift mechanism on the transmissions. Once you take the shifter cable off the shifter arm, you remove the arm by loosening the tall nut (usually its green with a plastic lock ring inside it.) sitting on top of the shifter module. Then the shifter module comes off (although its usually rusted on to the sleeve around the stud that sicks up out of the transmission) after you unbolt the two 10 mm bolts holding it to the top of the transmission case. Pay close attention to how its oriented as there is some adjustability built into it, and if you don't get it back on in the right position the transmission may not go into park, or low depending on which way its off.

If you busted that stud off you may be looking at a whole new transmission case, which would require a total teardown and rebuild. A new transmission from a bone yard would be cheaper and easier.

bigds01
01-11-10, 02:41 PM
This on a Northstar equipped SLS, with a 4L80E transmission? Is this related to your other post about breaking a plastic peice on the transmission where the shifter attaches? If so you should keep everything together.

The only cable attached to the transmission (outside of electrical ones) is the shifter cable, and it attaches to an arm that is attached to a pivot point on the transmission which has the gear selector module around it. the transmission is electrically shifted, there is no mechanical shift mechanism on the transmissions. Once you take the shifter cable off the shifter arm, you remove the arm by loosening the tall nut (usually its green with a plastic lock ring inside it.) sitting on top of the shifter module. Then the shifter module comes off (although its usually rusted on to the sleeve around the stud that sicks up out of the transmission) after you unbolt the two 10 mm bolts holding it to the top of the transmission case. Pay close attention to how its oriented as there is some adjustability built into it, and if you don't get it back on in the right position the transmission may not go into park, or low depending on which way its off.

If you busted that stud off you may be looking at a whole new transmission case, which would require a total teardown and rebuild. A new transmission from a bone yard would be cheaper and easier.

What I broke is the piece of plastic at the end of the shifter cable. I got the two bolts off of the transmission. The cable then continues on to what I assume is the shifter module. Is that correct? If it is, what I cracked was the retaining plastic cuff that the cable connects to. Unfortunately I can't get a picture right now.