: Driving Tip

Stoneage_Caddy
08-11-04, 12:49 AM
Always make sure to check an intersection before headed across it when you get a green light , i almost bought the farm today becuse i didnt , 2 tractor trailer rockhauling trucks blew the light and missed me by feet (talking 5-8 here). They were moving so fast that the wind off of them moved my car .

I promptly Shat myself and sat there clogging my lane regathering my senses ..... :bonkers:

Most of the time people running the light are cars , which wont hurt you too much but 55,000+ lbs hurling at you at 65 mph is lethal

Just another helpful tip from your self proclaimed "Safety Officer" of cadillac forums :drinker

Oh and dont drink and drive :suspect:

Ralph
08-11-04, 12:57 AM
I learned that lesson the hard way back in 1984! I had my 1970 Plymouth and was first in line for the green light. When green, I proceeded across the intersection and I hear skidding! I look to my left and see the grille of a yellow 1972 Datsun station wagon and BAM! Spun me around once and totalled her car. Mine got hit on the driver's side back door. Glad it wasn't the drivers side door. Drove it another two years. :p

I'll ALWAYS look both ways now even if I got the green.

caddyshack24
08-11-04, 01:27 AM
damn man, i always look when going threw an intersection too.. those big ass vehicles cant stop and just keep on truckin' .. just think if you would have walked a few steps faster to your car.. or didnt stop for a cheeseburger. or look down and mess with the radio (else you might have went just a tad faster) .. you'd be gone. and people on this forum would be salvaging parts from your car. . lol morbid but kinda funny.

majax
08-11-04, 01:29 AM
In drivers ed I was always told look before you go even if its a green, you never know. :bouncy: glad your okay :D.

Oh I never posted this and no im not boasting I finished top of my Drivers ed class with a 97/100 on the final second place was like a 95/100. :lildevil:

Stoneage_Caddy
08-11-04, 01:32 AM
damn vultures .....

I used to drive those big ass trucks ......makes things alot worse cuz i know how much of a pain in the arse it is to slow em down from 60 ..for some reason i was not looking ...

most of the time those guys dont pay attention down here , on that road alone they kill at leats one person a month doing this , or rear ending cars that stop for a red light (one hit 7 cars the other day that had been stopped at the light for over a minute)

T_Dogg8
08-11-04, 09:11 AM
i always look before i go across. to many close calls. one day a tractor trailer went through the red light at a pretty good speed, and if that wasn't bad enough, the suv behind him did too at a faster speed. if i hadn't been paying attention i would've been wiped out.

Msilva954
08-11-04, 09:17 AM
Glad your O.K......I Bet your expression was priceless though

"I promptly Shat" .....................yea, Priceless.

daacon
08-11-04, 09:29 AM
Wow close call , glad is all well. And you are 10000% correct , only involve insurance companies if necessary - it can be cheaper to take a loan over a few years to pay some stuff off.

Then there is that same "safety check" when slowing down for a yellow - check the rear view and if 20 tons of steel is still heading at ya .....GO GO GO ....I was there , just happend to check and yep pinned it ..whew ....

Did you guys hear about that Lady in Washington (I think)? Apparently a piece of a Leaf Spring snapped off a truck (they assume - Police still investigating) in front of her , flew right through the winsheild and smack dab in the face - One reporter compared it to "Barry Bonds taking a full swing at your head" ....She lived thanks to a paramedic and doctor who happened to stop.

Msilva954
08-11-04, 10:08 AM
MAN......I hate that too......when you stop and the car behind you is still truckin........scares the SH!T out of me when I look in my mirror.

Ralph
08-11-04, 01:53 PM
Did you guys hear about that Lady in Washington (I think)? Apparently a piece of a Leaf Spring snapped off a truck (they assume - Police still investigating) in front of her , flew right through the winsheild and smack dab in the face - One reporter compared it to "Barry Bonds taking a full swing at your head" ....She lived thanks to a paramedic and doctor who happened to stop.

I saw that a week or two ago. She is blind now and the guy got something like a 500 dollar fine and comunity work. I thought a truck was hauling something and the wind blew something and it cut through her windshield? She drove a Jeep Liberty. She is only 24!

Road debris and things not tied down properly seem to also be common safety issues.

Dead Sled
08-11-04, 03:10 PM
yep its always the truckers fault! with all those mirrors they can see everyhing. with those huge engines they can accelerate like a ferrari, and with those huge air breaks they can stop on a dime.

you never said what the speed limit was? I know there is one stop light in a 55 zone where I live. There are many many skid marks from trucks and cars alike that have to come to a compleete stop within the 3 secoins that yellow light is lit. would you rateher had that truck lock up its breaks and come sliding at you and the 3 cars behind you?

can you tell I'm a trucker? and one that is sick of getting shit on be liberal news media and stupid uninvestigated occurances. "a car was hit by a truck when the car crossed the center line" why didnt they say the car hit the truck when it was clear the car was in the wrong? now you got me going on a rant!

people need to quit driving inside their little bubble an be more observant.

and for christ sake when you merge onto an interstate the traffic HAS THE RIGHT AWAY and doesnot have to move for your slow ass. It is your responsibility to be at the speed of traffic when you reach the highway and merge with out interupting the flow by making others move or slow down!

SLOW TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT! if your not actively passing someone get your ass out of the left lane

when you see the first sign that says lane ends get your ass over and quit running up on the cones and expect someone to let you in. Traffic WILL move faster trust me

rant over :helpless:

T_Dogg8
08-11-04, 03:24 PM
you are right, a lot of truckers get a bad break because it was the cars fault. but it wasn't my fault when a trucker decided to pass a bunch of cars on the right and then pull over at the last minute before the lane closed, pushing me literally out into the median. i was about 3 feet behind his door when he moved over and he had just passed me. so to say it's not the truckers fault isn't correct either. and if you can't stop your vehicle in time and 'have' to run a redlight, you should either A) drive slower or B) don't drive on that road. being too big to slow down isn't an excuse for not stopping at a redlight. i think the guys who are good truck drivers don't get the credit they deserve, but there are a lot of bad truck drivers out there too.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-11-04, 03:54 PM
hey , like i said i drove those things i know what flys and what doesnt .....

I watch these crashes damn near every day out on the road it takes two to tango most of the time but that crash 2 months ago was the truckers fault , he wasnt paying attetion and ran over 7 cars that were sitting at a light the light had been red for well over a minute , it is a very long light too . the strech of road leading to it is stright for 3 miles and you can see all the way to the light , the truck hit them going around 60 mph , from the lack of marks he never hit the brakes ....

They also always pull out infront of fast moving traffic instaed of waiting for a gap, i had a guy driving infront of me that was killed when a rockhauler pulled out in front of him when we were going 60 mph , there wasnt another car behind me for 1 mile but the trucker decided to kill someone and did . luckily i ended up in a ditch where the ram infront of me hit the truck so hard it not only cruched the entire cab to a total length of 12 inches but sepreated it into 3 peices and split the engine and tranny .....

regular over the road truckers are never an issue(most of the time) , it is the local construction rock hauler truckers that are a problem , and on the strech of road i have to drive every day is being widened so there are hundreds of these trucks out there , none go the speed limit , in fact i had one blow passed me when i was going 75mph today . These drivers are employed without a police background check , the only requirement to drive is the CDL liscense , no one finds out what the drivers background is untill he kills someone .

then to top that most of the trucks are poorly maintined , you dont even have a clue how many brake shoes i dodge everyday out there , and how many bald trailer tyres and everything else that goes on out there . i have to wash the car today becuse a truck explaoded its rearend and sprayed gear oil all over me as i went by .

Most other places it is the cars fault , but here in pasco county florida on highway 54 90% of the time it is the trucks or drivers fault ...

If you think im makeing any of it up i invite you to come down a ride with me to work sometime , just make sure your life insurace policy is up to date , i never know when my number is up out there (it was almost yesterday)

T_Dogg8
08-11-04, 04:37 PM
i can't stand those blown tires on the road. i've hit those twice when i couldn't avoid it. luckily neither did any damage. the first was in an eclipse and could have been bad. the second was 2 weeks ago in my EXT. i think it's a shame that when they blow a tire they leave their tread. i don't know how well you can tell when it blows, but i had a truck blow one when i was beside it and it sounded like a gunshot. and he hit his brakes so i know he knew something happened. but he never stopped. just left it in the middle of the road for some poor sucker to hit later.

Skuuter
08-11-04, 04:50 PM
Whew! Glad you hesitated that extra second Stoneage!

I've had a few close calls myself, but along with stop light intersections, people need to look both ways at EVERY stop sign! I witnessed a serious head-on begin to play out when an older lady almost pulled out into the path of an illegally passing pickup. This guy had passed me (I was doing 60 )and was still passing cars ahead of me as we approached a side road on the left. I saw the lady's car stop at the intersection and start to turn right. Luckily for all, the pickup was able to quickly squeeze in between two other cars. I'm sure it never ocurred to her that she almost died since she never made any move that indicated she saw the pickup in that lane. I'm sure she thought to look to her left, but she couldn't have looked right or she'd have never started out.

Another good reminder NOT TO PASS at intersections of any kind!

carguy16
08-11-04, 06:09 PM
A couple of things here!!!

Trucks take a long while to stop, as do motor coaches! Let's not forget something called 'brake fade', some times truckers/buses will experience this, most if not all are equipped with drum brakes, when they get hot after driving through the city, or have been ridden hard, they expand and it requires a bigger application to stop. I've never driven a truck or a bus, but if you ever read a manual it goes over it.

Now, as far as a truck running a red light and not being able to stop. If a truck hit his brakes to hard he could easily jack knife and possibly take out cars beside him. Not to mention, flat spotting tires because you have to lock your brakes up.

Ok, now if a truck MUST blow through an intersection because he cant stop, the truck should BLOW THE ****ING HORN! Anyone around should be able to hear that horn, and they should look over and see a truck barreling through!

As far as dump truck drivers go, some of them dont take care of their trucks. I just had dump trucks delivering dirt next door to my house, fuel tank was loose, bald tire(S), flat tires, no brake lights.

Now, trucks that cut drivers off. I have read posts on newsgroups, after an article came out that said the new hours of service rules were being thrown out. There was some lady on there that said she was in the right lane where a truck was, and the truck starts merging into her lane. Well, YOU NEVER EVER RIDE NEXT TO A TRUCK FOR THIS REASON! Thats why I pass them as fast as possible, and why you NEVER ride next to them.

As far as blow outs going, some times truckers dont hear it. Or, they may have a flat and the tread may just peel right off and be un-noticed. Or, for all you know they hear it, but they arent going to stop because it would be un-safe to do so. I dont think any trucker would retrieve the tire on the interstate, he would be putting himself at risk. Another thing, NEVER follow behind a truck. You cant see tires or debris in the road, or whats going on infront of the truck. If your following a truck, and the driver isnt paying attention and slams on the brakes, you will probably run into the back of him. Not to mention, if he has a blow out your going to be hit by the tire.

I have had my experiences, I have never been in an accident, but I have had a few close calls. Let me just say this, if your foots not on the gas, put it on the brake pedal so you dont accidently hit the gas. Signal before you try to get over, signal your intentions so people can get out of the way! Some intersections suck, if there is an arrow for you to turn left, wait for it to turn green! And by golly, when you pull out infront of someone, STEP ON THE GAS! I cant stand it when some reject pulls out infront of me, and I have to almost come to a stop, or they have plenty of room to pull out and gain speed, but they piddle poddle around, the gas pedal and horsepower is there for a reason folks!

Now, merging on the interstate. PEOPLE ARE MORONS AT DOING THIS! WHEN YOU GET ON THE ON RAMP, STEP ON THE GAS AND GAIN SPEED! I hate getting up to the ramp and were doing 40 to 50 MPH. When no one is infront of me, I step on the gas, and Im doing at least 65 to 70 MPH before I get on, I take my foot off the gas when I reach those speeds, and If I see room to get over and someone is coming, I step on the gas and merge into traffic. Not to mention, If NO ONE is infront of you, step on the gas, it avoids being carved up when the idiot next to you trys to merge, and you have a slow poke infront of you...

Dead Sled
08-11-04, 07:13 PM
i can't stand those blown tires on the road. i've hit those twice when i couldn't avoid it. luckily neither did any damage. the first was in an eclipse and could have been bad. the second was 2 weeks ago in my EXT. i think it's a shame that when they blow a tire they leave their tread. i don't know how well you can tell when it blows, but i had a truck blow one when i was beside it and it sounded like a gunshot. and he hit his brakes so i know he knew something happened. but he never stopped. just left it in the middle of the road for some poor sucker to hit later.

Ill let you walk out in the midldle of I 70 while people fly by at 85 to pick up that gator

Stoneage_Caddy
08-11-04, 07:57 PM
As deadsled knows most of those "blown tires" are acutlly tread seperations , most of the time from retreads . Retreads are so good anymore the only reason for seperation is underinflation of the tire , they get really hot as it is but when there underinflated the glue stands no chance of holding up . Retreads are applied at very high temperatures sometimes with open flames but that heat is also reached from underinfaltion and overloading. When they do seperate the only noise happens when the tread flops against the trailer body or tractor , not as audiable as a blowout . The tire will still hold air with the retread off the carcass. Even new truck tires will sepereate eventually if they are run underinflated.

Good truckers always carry a tire buddy and hit each tire and look for tread seperation before setting off on a run . Sometimes good truckers are rushed to complete a run and do not do this step , but most of the time it is just plain negligence

Vesicant
08-11-04, 08:07 PM
Running in tight traffic at about 75-80.. and this is TIGHT traffic... a semi' blew its retreaded tire... wow the thing just blew up all over the place but luckily people kept going and didnt slam on their brakes... the truck immediatly went to the side.

T_Dogg8
08-12-04, 09:26 AM
Ill let you walk out in the midldle of I 70 while people fly by at 85 to pick up that gator
yeah.....you're right. we should just leave it there. that's much better.

T_Dogg8
08-12-04, 09:31 AM
i'm not saying all truckers are bad and all problems with truckers their fault. but it pisses me off to hear 'we're too big to slow down' or 'we're too big to do that'. that's crap. if you're too big and going too fast to obey the laws i have to, then something needs to be done. drive down I95 or I40 in NC and dodge the retreads all over the place. it my not be safe for the trucker to stop and go get it, but it's not much safer to be driving through the crap either. so my question is, who should be the one put at risk, the person whose fault it is for the retread being there, or someone else??