: Grumble, engine dropping questions

bigds01
01-10-10, 08:07 AM
So we are basically done with the following the engine dropping checklist that was published last month.

I do have a few questions though:

1. In the step by step that was published on the site, it mentions the ebtc unit. In the 94 caddy, that unit is in the trunk. Do I need to do anything in the engine with braking system to drop the engine?

2. I broke the shift linkage off of the plastic piece that mounts to the transmission. How do i get that plastic piece off? It wouldn't release from the metal piece that it mounts to. What am I buying to replace it?

3. Those damm, m***F****g fuel lines. We will get the right tool and hopefully they will pop right off. Advice always welcome

4. For the timing chain, should I buy a new tensioner or just leave it be?

5. I am replacing the waterpump, should I replace the pully too?

cl1986
01-10-10, 11:38 AM
um, my 94 sls does not have the abs unit in the trunk, pretty sure none of them do, my 94 eldo is exaclty the same

I believe (not 100% sure) that you broke the shift cable, dont think you can get that end, you should have unbolted it at the tranny and left that 2" long linkage on the cable, very easy to take off.

yep i swore at the fuel lines for 2 days

you will have to check your tensioners and guides, cant really tell you to replace them if they are ok

i guess i wouldnt replace the pully, why would you do that? tensioner maybe?

bigds01
01-10-10, 05:29 PM
You unbolted the abs?

bigds01
01-10-10, 05:42 PM
I also can't seem to figure out what part I need to replace on the part I broke. I took of the two bolts on the bracket that connects the shift linkage to the transmission. The part I broke was the dohicky the cable attaches to on the transmission. I cracked the plastic piece. What am I replacing?

Krashed989
01-10-10, 10:14 PM
That was a part of the shift linkage as cl1986 said. On the top of the pivoting point of the linkage is a nut that should have been removed rather than the plastic... I think you may end up needing a whole new shift cable to get that little piece of plastic...

cl1986
01-10-10, 10:42 PM
You unbolted the abs?

yes, i unbolted the abs ebtc unit and left it with the car

tateos
01-11-10, 12:23 PM
I don't know what project you are working on, but on my 97 HG job:

I used something like this to remove the fuel lines:

http://www.toolfetch.com/Category/Automotive/Line_Disconnect_Tools/KD3530.htm

I don't recall any difficulty with the shift linkage.

The ABS unit stayed on the car.

All chains and guides and tensioners were re-used.

The pulley for the water pump is part of the water pump - it comes with the new one, if you are changing it, or is already on the old one. If you mean the drive pulley on the cam, re-use that unless it is damaged. I reused the tensioner and it's pulley also; that said, I must admit I have heard some squeaking coming from that tensioner pulley area when the engine is first started, so I think I will have to change it, but that is an easy job.

stoveguyy
01-15-10, 05:16 PM
do you have the steel fuel rail? if so, you cannot lift up on it. too rigid. you push down on the flexible fuel inlet/outlet lines. seems backward but it works.

bigds01
01-16-10, 09:24 AM
do you have the steel fuel rail? if so, you cannot lift up on it. too rigid. you push down on the flexible fuel inlet/outlet lines. seems backward but it works.

It is a steel fuel line on the engine that connects to the rubber hoses I need to disconnect