: Emergency Brake

GeneLaw1
01-09-10, 11:29 AM
So I got an alarm installed by Best Buy yesterday in my 84 Deville, and afterwards I noticed by E Brake would not hold when the car is running!! If I cut the car off and set it, it is fine, but as soon as I start the vehicle the brake "Pops up"....and as soon as I press it down again with car running it returns up with my foot....any remedies?

sven914
01-09-10, 03:18 PM
The parking brake is not electronic, so the alarm probably has nothing to do with it.

If you look up at the top of the parking brake pedal, there should be a vacuum diaphragm with a vacuum hose going to it. Make sure there is a vacuum hose going to it.

GeneLaw1
01-10-10, 12:14 PM
Thanks man, I'll check that...

cadi509
01-10-10, 04:46 PM
Bestbuy probably disconnected it, they are idiots when I comes to car electronics, be careful what you let them do to your car, before I met my girlfriend she had a stereo installed in her mercury mountaineer and the fried the stock sub, all the speakers and the power antenna, they did pay to have everything fixed but still a stereo install is a very easy thing to do.

Angry Matt
01-11-10, 09:04 PM
In my '70 the parking brake vacuum was controlled by the neutral safety switch (located at the bottom of the steering column) and it was very easy to break. I'm not sure how it was in '84, but if that was broken it would explain your problem (although it may not even have one). For the brake to not be holding it should be having constant vacuum to it, or there's something wrong in the pedal mechanism. Did you notice anything else different, like the reverse lights not working or being able to start the car in gear?

dirt_cheap_fleetwood
01-11-10, 09:30 PM
I bet they either broke it by accident when splicing into the ignition wires or they screwed it up when splicing into the gear selector wires. Some of the remote starters nowadays are very complex and even monitor things like gear selection.

DopeStar 156
01-12-10, 12:29 PM
I think it's something to do with the car thinking it's in gear. The way it's acting is normal if you're not in Park or Neutral.....

GeneLaw1
01-12-10, 03:45 PM
In my '70 the parking brake vacuum was controlled by the neutral safety switch (located at the bottom of the steering column) and it was very easy to break. I'm not sure how it was in '84, but if that was broken it would explain your problem (although it may not even have one). For the brake to not be holding it should be having constant vacuum to it, or there's something wrong in the pedal mechanism. Did you notice anything else different, like the reverse lights not working or being able to start the car in gear?

I have noticed my reverse lights dont work, but I am not entirely sure thats not blown bulbs or now. However they werent working long before the E brake stopped working...

GeneLaw1
01-12-10, 03:48 PM
I bet they either broke it by accident when splicing into the ignition wires or they screwed it up when splicing into the gear selector wires. Some of the remote starters nowadays are very complex and even monitor things like gear selection.

Thank goodness I didnt get the alarm with remote start, no telling what they would have messed up there...

sven914
01-12-10, 06:36 PM
I think it's something to do with the car thinking it's in gear. The way it's acting is normal if you're not in Park or Neutral.....

There's a vacuum release valve somewhere on the steering column, which tells the parking brake to disengage when the gear selector is moved.

My service manual gives no information about the release valve past acknowledging it's existence.

brougham
01-12-10, 09:02 PM
It sounds like they broke the hose for it when they were under the dash and hooked it upto the wrong spot.