Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 32 replies 10 participants last post by  BadVMan 
#1 ·
Does this set up eliminate wheel hop or do you have to add expensive Penske coil overs? What is the minimum hp/tqr requirements for a road racer with a few trips to the drag strip planned. Pictures of this package would be great.

I know the Vette would be better on the road course, but i like the leg room, back seat, and trunk space. Want to build it once but want to do it right.
Thanks

#2 ·
From what I read it was the axles that cured the hop, but his was a set up with Hendrix style axles, a new drive shaft, and a new differential with your choice of gears. Cost was $9,000. Thats over on LS1tech. However from what I've read the Gen 3 diff for our V1's is supposed to be pretty resilient compared to previous versions. I can tell you I am banking on a Gen 3 diff with Hendrix Axles next time I get a bonus (which should be Sept) to keep future power adds from destroying my car. But that is based on reading others experiences, and feed back from Tech's like Will. Well that and 9k will but about 6 Gen 3 diffs.

#3 ·
It eliminates 99%....... every now and then under certain conditions it gets a little hop. Broke an axle one of those times

#4 ·
Yikes!

Note: this is most likely not a madman setup.

#6 ·
Baltimore07V -whats a Gen 3 diff when we are only on Gen 2 of the V? Please explain....I did not know there was this option.:confused:

thank you,
The number of versions of the differential is not the same as the number of versions of the CTS-V simply because Getrag, the maker of our differentials has periodically redesigned them. To make matters more confusing we recently figured out through reviewing the actual part numbers that had been reported in this forum over the years that there have been no fewer than 4 versions. The latest version (4th), which we mistakeningly named the Generation 3 came out in early 2008. When new versions have come out, GM stops using the older versions as replacement parts once the supply is gone.

#10 ·
Here is a quote from Darkman found in another thread:

My reading of old threads indicates the following part numbers, in chronological sequence:

#19 ·
never tracked the car since I knew what a POS the rears are and this was just driving on the street with purposely NON sticky tires. I think I know what happened though but its still a crappy reason to break. I bought the NON sticky tires to prevent the case and upgraded 06-07 shafts from breaking so I did spin the tires a lot and one day I just plain got on it and smoked them from 1st up to 3rd (they were going bald) and thats when it happened because they next day it started the noise crap. I can tell you this, I did not have any issue with they way I was smoking the tires previously, because it was not the first time, UNTIL I put in Royal Purple diff fluid and I am starting to think this had a lot to do with it; it had factory fluid before I changed.

I think the Royal Purple is crapola now for Diff fluid and immediately after this happened I put in Amsoil with the slip lock additive and it did quite it down a ton but its still semi noisy especially in cold weather which makes sense.

When my car is on the lift there is this "slack" in the rear that was not there before too. Like when you turn the tire then the gears catch in the case after say a quarter to half a tire turn??? Is this normal or is this slack sign of missing gear teeth?

Darkman-when I changed to Amsoil yes there were metal fragments in the oil and I then took it to the dealer and they confirmed this without me mentioning this to them at all.

I would stay away from Royal Purple guys if I were you and I am going to change out my transmission Royal Purple fluid also to Amsoil as that is becoming harder to shift now too WTF Royal Purple?????:hmm::banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.