: Positive Battery Cable Help

jjhammer
01-08-10, 02:26 PM
I am planning to replace my positive battery cable in the next few days with a 2 gauge battery cable. I was wondering if anyone has done this yet and how much fun it will be. The man at autozone advised me to also replace the negative cable with a 2 gauge as there could be a problem with shorting out if they are mismatched?? I don't know if this is true or not but would like any and all advice. Thanks!

CADMAN56
01-12-10, 12:15 AM
jjhammer-i own three catera's.1998,and 2 2000 models.i have recently replaced both post cables on my 2000 models because of a high voltage drop.i used welders 2 gauge cable and install eyelets at each end using a lug cable crimper.i then install heat shrink tubing with adhesive to seal the cable from the elements.i used a lead marine post cable clamp at the battery.i removed the original cable from the plastic housing to the starter.(very time consuming but a clean factory look)
i had to run a seperate 2 gauge cable from the alternator to the starter because i could not find a cable lug to hold a double crimped end(piggy back) at the starter like the factory used.i just overlapped the eyelets at the starter and connected cable end to batt cable clamp.i then installed the other accessory cables to cable clamp post stud and install 2 jamb nuts to hold secured.my charging system is working better than ever and my voltage drop is well within specs.my negative cable tested ok.no reason to replace negative cable because of positive cable size change.i wish i did this a year ago.good luck !!

jjhammer
01-12-10, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the advice! I plan on tackling this job this weekend. Hopefully it won't take me all day.Thanks again!

USEDCAT
05-17-10, 12:23 AM
jjhammer-i own three catera's.1998,and 2 2000 models.i have recently replaced both post cables on my 2000 models because of a high voltage drop.i used welders 2 gauge cable and install eyelets at each end using a lug cable crimper.i then install heat shrink tubing with adhesive to seal the cable from the elements.i used a lead marine post cable clamp at the battery.i removed the original cable from the plastic housing to the starter.(very time consuming but a clean factory look)
i had to run a seperate 2 gauge cable from the alternator to the starter because i could not find a cable lug to hold a double crimped end(piggy back) at the starter like the factory used.i just overlapped the eyelets at the starter and connected cable end to batt cable clamp.i then installed the other accessory cables to cable clamp post stud and install 2 jamb nuts to hold secured.my charging system is working better than ever and my voltage drop is well within specs.my negative cable tested ok.no reason to replace negative cable because of positive cable size change.i wish i did this a year ago.good luck !!

Do you recall what was the total approximate length of the positive battery cable. Catera positive cables I believe are a bit of chronic issue and mine was replaced by dealer and the tech said it was almost all burnt out/brittle/corroded.

At the low Idle RPM of 500 without AC Catera alternators are doing very very little juicing up ( I believe there is a TSB on it)..

Thanks

USEDCAT
05-20-10, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the advice! I plan on tackling this job this weekend. Hopefully it won't take me all day.Thanks again!

Appreciate if you remember what was the length of the positive cable that you installed and the difference it made? Did you have it fused?

Thanks

fredc
05-20-10, 01:45 PM
My positive cable (multi conductor) was coming "untwisted" at the battery end so that it's current carrying capacity was deminished greatly. It was obvious that the positive cable was getting hot because the insulation was discoloring. I think I put a 58" cable on (but it was too long). I too installed a single headed (at the starter end) cable between the battery to the starter and a short jumper cable between the starter and the alternator. I used 2ga cables for both. I would unbolt the existing cable from the starter and alternator (best done from under the car) and measure how much shorter the existing cable would have to be to go direct to the starter (mark it at the starter end so that you can measure it (to determine the replacement cable length) after the cable assembly is completely removed). Also while you are under there, measure the distance between the starter and the alternator posts to determine the proper length for the jumper cable between them.